1996-97: Adam Oates Almost a Vancouver Canuck. Boston Offered Oates for Linden.

JA

I just posted a piece in History of Hockey that illustrates how desperate Pat Quinn was for centermen.

He converted Linden to center. Fair enough.

He converted Craven to center. Iffy.

For the first half of the 1993-94 season, he played Greg Adams at center with Gino Odjick and Pavel Bure.

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
I just posted a piece in History of Hockey that illustrates how desperate Pat Quinn was for centermen.
Excellent write up JetsAlternate. Very nice to read.

I didn't know that Quebec had made strong bid for 1st overall 1988 draft. They were without general manager in 1988 draft (their future GM Martin Madden was their "Director of Recruiting" and he was maybe in charge?). I know that Minnesota Europe scout Hexi Riihiranta was really high on Selanne at that time, so maybe Minnesota could take him if they would made that trade.

Selanne was ranked #9 on Hockey News 1988 draft preview, but like Hockey News wrote 1988 Draft Preview; "Teemu Selanne, a 6-foot, 175-pound right winger, is expected to be the first Finn ever taken in the first round of an NHL entry draft. "in terms of natural ability and skill," says one scout, "he's right at the top of the list." In fact, if he was playing junior hockey in Canada and the team drafting him didn't have to wait three years or so to get him out of Finland, he'd be among the first three or four players selected. He could even challange for No. 1 overall."

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver

He converted Linden to center. Fair enough.

He converted Craven to center. Iffy.

For the first half of the 1993-94 season, he played Greg Adams at center with Gino Odjick and Pavel Bure.

Shows how big of a fail the Gretzky mess up was.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
You can try to rationalize how ever you like, but you're so deep in the 'grass is greener' mentality you have your head buried in the lawn.

I don't think it's a rationalization, rather simply my opinion. I think those teams would have been better with Adam Oates over Trevor Linden. For the reasons I've stated.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Like who perhaps? That would be wishful thinking IMHO.

Pretty hard to answer this without a solid recollection of the assets the Canucks possessed in 1997-99. But Burke wasn't leaving without a deal and made that clear. I'm sure there would have been a deal to be made even without Bryan McCabe. Granted he was a pretty decent asset at the time.

I did say it's revisionism to discuss 'what-ifs' regarding subsequent player aquisitions. Not worth getting into. The point is I would have done that trade, regardless of whether we got the Sedins in the end or not.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Also, for those saying Oates was too much older than Linden to make the trade, Oates went on to play another 10 NHL seasons after the time this trade was considered. And finished at nearly a PPG over those final 10 seasons (last couple really hurt his numbers). Trevor played another 12 seasons, all pretty mediocre. And in those extra 2 NHL seasons, Linden was able to amass 37 points in 139 games... And at that time would have been roughly 8 seasons removed from his last close to PPG season (1995-96). Adam Oates flirted with a PPG right up until 2001-2002. We would have recieved a lot more scoring for a lot longer time frame with Adam Oates. And that would have been just a bonus. Who knows what could have happened if Bure and Mogilny got a centre like Oates and were happy and healthy.

I love Trevor as much as the next Canucks fan, but he simply was not the hockey player Adam Oates was.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Interesting story. That would have been the perfect moment to dump Linden, as his offensive game was about to collapse.

Nothing would have mattered with someone as staggeringly incompetent as Pat Quinn running the team. Even if he had somehow pulled off this deal, he would have made 3 other awful moves to counteract it.

hackey

Oh Did I Offend You
Aug 18, 2003
That's Too Bad
Visit site
This is completely pointless

This is one of a thousand "could of been" player trade scenarios that occur on a routine basis in the NHL

Most of them are never revealed, this one squeaked out, big deal...

JA

Adam Oates was not "almost" a Canuck simply because Boston offered him to us.

It would have only taken a simple "yes" from Quinn for the deal to occur.

The mere fact that it was considered and offered to Vancouver makes it closer to happening than a deal that was never offered.

Quinn said "no" to the Oates for Linden deal just as he refused the Sakic for Linden deal. He thought too highly of Linden to make any sort of exchange involving him.
This is completely pointless

This is one of a thousand "could of been" player trade scenarios that occur on a routine basis in the NHL

Most of them are never revealed, this one squeaked out, big deal...

Many were calling for Quinn's head. Oates was ready to pack his bags and leave Boston. Alex Mogilny was publicly complaining that the Canucks needed a top centerman. Everything was aligned. The other team made an offer that appeared very generous. The only thing stopping it was Pat Quinn.

He turned it down in the same way that Neil Smith turned down Pavel Bure two years later. We can very honestly say the Rangers almost had Bure. Gretzky stated he would have played an extra year. Smith did not want to give up Manny Malhotra, who he felt would be the next leader of the team.

The thread also highlights Quinn's incompetence in finding a top centerman despite having several excellent opportunities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Considering a year later, the Canucks got a young Todd Bertuzzi and a young Brian McCabe (plus a third round pick that became Jarko Ruutu) for Linden....you have to think that worked out better than bringing an aging Adam Oates to Vancouver would have.

Yep--love or Hate Keenen-- he did the Linden trade

1998-Feb-06 Todd Bertuzzi and Bryan McCabe and round 3 pick in the 1998 draft (Jarkko Ruutu) to Vancouver Canucks for Trevor Linden. Ruutu I think left via UFA after 6 seasons

1999-Jun-26 McCabe and the 2000 first rounder for what turned into Danial Sedin

2006-Jun-23 TBertuzzi and Bryan Allen, Alex Auld and conditional pick in the 2007 draft to Florida Panthers for Roberto Luongo, Lukas Krajicek and round 6 pick in the 2006 draft (Sergei Shirokov)

2014-Mar-04 Luongo with Steven Anthony to Florida Panthers for Jacob Markstrom and Shawn Matthias

the fact we traded McCabe and the 11th overall 2011 for Danial Sedin in Burke at his best.

We have three players to show for a trade 16 years ago. One of out top players, 3rd/4th liner and a guy who I think could be a good start in net--better that we did not get Oates

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad