1996-97: Adam Oates Almost a Vancouver Canuck. Boston Offered Oates for Linden.

JA

As we know, Pat Quinn struggled mightily to acquire a top centerman during his time as the Vancouver Canucks' general manager. The team lacked a centerman for Pavel Bure since the departure of Igor Larionov in 1992, and he missed out on Wayne Gretzky after providing him with the now-infamous middle-of-the-night ultimatum via telephone.

In 1996, however, the problem of providing Bure -- and now Alexander Mogilny -- with a proper centerman was almost resolved. Mogilny was frustrated, finally calling out management for not providing him and Pavel with a centerman who could complement them.

It was just a few weeks before that when the Boston Bruins offered the Canucks this deal:

Adam Oates for Trevor Linden -- straight up, one-for-one.

As a result of Quinn's futility, Mogilny finally blew up:
Back to Front: Mogilny, Bure blast like past: [Final C Edition 1]
Bell, Terry. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 03 Jan 1997: A48 / FRONT.

What a difference a new year makes.

Pavel Bure and Alexander Mogilny looked like their old and magical selves Thursday night, and the Vancouver Canucks got a couple of lucky breaks to win their 1997 debut.

Canucks 4 Kings 3. But don't get too excited. It was after all only the 13-22-4 Los Angeles Kings. At least the Canucks didn't blow a chance to end a four-game losing streak after a confidence- shaking and injury-riddled 3-9-1 December.

And the Canucks nearly blew it, giving up two third period goals and having another called back by referee Mick MeGeough.

Reunited with centre Esa Tikkanen after a two-game separation, Bure scored two goals and added an assist while Mogilny added a goal and two assists as the Canucks improved to 17-19-1 overall.

For Mogilny, the effort and the rewards couldn't have been better timed. He'd made headlines Thursday morning, saying that if the Canucks couldn't trade for a playmaking centre to feed him and Bure the puck, they might as well trade him.

But the talk seemed to light a fire under both Mogilny and Bure.

An injury, Tikkanen only had one second-period shift and didn't play in the third, forced Canucks coach Tom Renney to insert Mike Sillinger between the Russians.

Mogilny demands centre help: [Final Edition]
Gallagher, Tony. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 02 Jan 1997: A41.

Alexander Mogilny hinted at it last week in Phoenix. He said it more specifically after the New Year's Eve loss to Philadelphia, when the Canuck players worked as hard as possible with scarcely a hope of victory.

The team needs some help. If it doesn't come, Mogilny says he would just as soon take a hike.

He would like a centre. You know, a person who actually calls the middle his natural position who wouldn't clear waivers. And it isn't easy to say so. He doesn't want to be hurting teammates' feelings or coming off like a prima dona because it isn't happening for he or Pavel Bure.

But face facts -- this team isn't going to win with centres like Esa Tikkanen and Trevor Linden (who are natural wingers), Mike Sillinger and Alexander Semak (both of whom have cleared waivers at some point this season), and Mike Ridley.

"I like it here and I want to stay. But we all want to win in this room," said Mogilny. "You can see we're working. But we need help. Everybody knows it all starts with strength up the middle.

"I'm not in a management position. I don't make decisions and I know it's not easy to make trades. But if it doesn't change, I hope when they make a trade it's me. And I've told them as much."

So Mogilny makes his comments with the knowledge it's entirely likely the Canucks have already begun the preliminary work on his departure. With Pat Quinn running things, the talks will doubtless take on a glacial pace, but it would appear the Rangers and Washington are the best fits for a deal with the Islanders, New Jersey and Chicago lesser possibilities. Mogilny lives in Point Roberts and is becoming an American citizen and won't report to another Canadian team. Detroit would be a real reach, and it's possible a three-way deal would have to be concluded to bring Vancouver what it needs in such a move, a centre who can help Bure and/or a defenceman a shade better than Frank Kucera. Russ Courtnall also figures to bring a player in one of these categories as well, but his market value wanes with each hour of Quinn's waffling.

The ideal thing would be to try to get a centre or d-man with one of the goalkeepers but with the glut of players in this position such a happy outcome is unlikely.

Mogilny frustrated, Quinn says: [FINAL C Edition]
Mason, Gary. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 04 Jan 1997: B.1.

Alexander Mogilny says the Canucks need a No. 1 centre to be competitive... Pat Quinn thinks that's baloney.

In an extraordinarily frank and wide-ranging interview Friday, Quinn opened up to talk about the Mogilny-centreman issue, his shaky defence, botched deals, whether trades are in the winds, his relationship with John McCaw and his own future... He thinks Mogilny is frustrated by his play and hinted contract negotiations may have motivated his star player to demand a trade unless the team gets a playmaking centre to feed him and Bure.

``I think there's more behind this than Alex making a statement that he believes is correct.'' But while Quinn says he wants to re-sign Mogilny, he said no one is immune from being traded if he feels it will help the hockey club. ``These are hypotheticals and you always look at ways to improve your hockey club so I wouldn't say I would not trade Joe Blow, Alex Mogilny or whatever, no. I couldn't promise you that.''

``Do I plan to do it? No.'' Asked if he was looking to make a trade, Quinn said:``I do every day.'' And while not mentioning Mogilny by name, it is clear the tough-talking GM doesn't have much time for stars blaming others for their problems... In pointing to the play of a less talented Florida Panther team that went to the Cup last year, Quinn said: ``The team became way more important than any individual and a lot of times it's easier to coach a team like that because you don't have the egos, you don't have the pouters . . . there is tremendous pressure on these high-paid guys and their responses are all different.'' But Mogilny hasn't been the only voice criticizing Quinn for not addressing the team's lack of depth at centre. It's been a complaint by fans and the media the last several years.

Quinn says he's looked for a top centre for 10 years and contrary to some reports, it was he who urged owner John McCaw to find the dollars to sign Wayne Gretzky. He says he wasn't against the deal at all. Looking tired and shifting uncomfortably in his chair because of a degenerative hip, Quinn says he didn't re-sign centres Cliff Ronning and Jesse Bellanger to free up money to make other acquisitions in the middle, including Gretzky. He went after other centres, including Bernie Nicholls, who eventually signed with San Jose.

Now, having ended up with nothing through trades or the free-agent route, he regrets Ronning isn't here... But he doesn't buy the view of Mogilny and others that Ronning is a great playmaking centre. ``Cliff's not a play-making centre. Down in the offensive zone he may be but through mid-ice where Alex is talking about getting a centre, Cliff didn't move the puck in that area.''... ``Pavel is working his bag off.''

Quinn would not give up Trevor Linden for Adam Oates.
It sounds like Mogilny will be traded by Quinn before deadline: [FINAL Edition]
Mason, Gary. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 15 Jan 1997: E.1.

Expect Canucks boss Pat Quinn to pull the trigger on at least one trade in the next few weeks. And don't be surprised to see disgruntled Russian Alexander Mogilny to be the centrepiece of a blockbuster. There are several scenarios emerging and lots of big names being bandied about as the March 20 trade deadline gets closer. We could see a couple of one-for-one trades involving second-tier players such as Russ Courtnall.

Or we could see a bigger package involving a group of similarly-skilled players. One earthshaker would be Mogilny being part of a trade involving another recognized star and perhaps some supporting actors.

``They'll definitely be some trades,'' said one Canuck source. ``It remains to be seen whether Alex will be part of any moves. It would have to be perfect for us. But there's been lots of interest.''

Quinn is under increasing pressure to improve and change the dynamics of his struggling club. Fans are hollering for a shake-up. Fans are howling for Quinn's head. Mogilny has led the call for a skilled centre. Coach Tom Renney would love a playmaking defenceman to feed his skilled players and captain the power-play. Quinn would like more grit and would likely trade some of his softer, skilled players for heart and toughness.

He has said he'd trade anyone to improve his team but realistically there is a group of players you're not likely to see go anywhere, including Pavel Bure, Trevor Linden, Bret Hedican and Martin Gelinas. Mogilny heads a list of players that could be moved. Russ Courtnall, Markus Naslund, Adrian Aucoin, Leif Rohlin also make the list. But beyond Mogilny, these players have little market appeal.

Meantime, there are two playmaking centres known to be available.

Boston has talked to Vancouver about Adam Oates. The Bruins wanted Trevor Linden in exchange. And that ended that conversation. But Oates could surface again involving other players.

Toronto is dangling Doug Gilmour and it appears Leafs' GM Cliff Fletcher is intent on getting first-class youth in return to replenish an aging hockey team. Kirk Muller is also available.

Vancouver is reluctant to offer up good young talent (i.e. Matthias Ohlund) or first-round picks in exchange for someone who might only help the team for a couple of years.

Vancouver not on Oates' itinerary: Bruins wanted Trevor Linden for 34-year-old centre straight up, but Canucks declined.: [FINAL Edition]
MacIntyre, Iain. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 26 Feb 1997: E.2.

As the hockey world buzzed Monday over the trade of Toronto Maple Leaf Doug Gilmour, it became clearer in the happy little land of the Vancouver Canucks that Adam Oates likely isn't coming here and Russ Courtnall isn't staying.

About the time Gilmour was packing his bags for New Jersey, stories in Boston hit the airwaves that Oates - the other highly-coveted centre on the trading block - would soon be leaving Boston in the wake of his honest assessment that the Bruins troubles begin with general manager Harry Sinden.

And a source close to Oates said the 34-year-old could be going to the Canucks as part of a package that would see Vancouver captain Trevor Linden go to the Bruins.

But Canuck assistant general manager George McPhee said late Monday afternoon that the club had not spoken recently with the Bruins. Asked if it were possible Linden could be involved in a trade with Boston, McPhee said ``definitely not.''

``We've talked to them -- we've talked to every team -- but I wouldn't say anything is happening,'' McPhee said. ``It was a while ago.''

The Bruins asked several weeks ago for a straight Oates-for-Linden swap, but the Canucks flatly refused that proposal.

Quinn may sow playoff Oates: [Final Edition]
Bell, Terry. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 27 Feb 1997: A64.

The Adam Oates trade talks are on again, according to Vancouver Canucks president and GM Pat Quinn.

Quinn said he won't guarantee that changes are coming to his 27- 32-2 NHL team, but he did say Wednesday he's "active" in his pursuit of any deal that would help the team rebound from a sorry 3-9 February.

That activity includes discussions with the Boston Bruins about centre Oates.

"We discussed Oates with Boston in mid-November," said Quinn. "We're on again. Do we want to (make a deal)? Yes. Can I guarantee it? No.

"Several teams are interested (in Oates) and that alters the deal," added Quinn. He said the Canucks haven't made an actual trade offer to the Bruins.

Oates was in the process of being shipped out of Boston. I feel Quinn should have capitalized when he had the opportunity to.
Oates on hot spot: Dared to point the finger: [Final Edition]
Gallagher, Tony. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 21 Feb 1997: A61.

As soon as Adam Oates ripped Boston Bruins management late Tuesday night after a 3-2 overtime loss in Denver, they began immediately trying to characterize his comments as strictly a ploy for more money.

If this sounds familiar to those in Vancouver, it should. It's the same technique used here when a player's frustration boils over.

Among Oates's comments were: "A guy is on my left wing a week ago (P.C. Drouin) and three days later he's in the minors. He got sat out the other night in the minors. What the bleep is that? How do you win games like that?

"You go on a trip and everyone says it's a big trip. For what? So we can win five games because we're lousy and we get in the eighth spot and lose four straight and get embarrassed and then get shelled all summer?

"It's upstairs, baby. That's their job, not ours. Our best player is 36 years old and he's gotten less and less support every year.

"We played our ***** off. We were playing the Stanley Cup champs. We're never going to win. We will win here and there but we're not bleeping good enough. It's sickening. It's a joke. I'm sick of it. Every other team tries to improve itself. We don't even try. They come in here and yell at us after the first period. The problem is upstairs."

Needless to say, Sinden and his caddy Mike O'Connell immediately went into damage control.

"I think (money) is a big part of it, in my limited experience in this world of high-priced athletes," said O'Connell. "He states that he doesn't have enough help. He has a 19-game point scoring streak. Did he do it all himself?"

The greatest retribution the Bruins can inflict, of course, would be to hang on to him despite his obvious wish to depart. This would come at a cost to the team down the road and to the Boston fans. But when have they ever mattered? There are a number of teams interested in trading for Oates and one might suppose the Canucks are one of them.

In the meantime, the Bruins have removed the 'A' from Oates's sweater. Nobody has yet been given the letter and there is speculation around the team that many players will not take it in a show of support. The next few days around Oates and the Bruins should be like the circus that surrounded Mogilny after his remarks. His crime was the same. He told the truth.
The Washington Capitals acquired Oates a few days later:
Caps get Oates, Tocchet, Ranford; Bruins get Carey, youth: [FINAL Edition]
The Gazette [Montreal, Que] 02 Mar 1997: B.3.

The Boston Bruins sent disgruntled centre Adam Oates, right-winger Rick Tocchet and goalie Bill Ranford to the Washington Capitals in a blockbuster, six-player deal last night.

Oates, one of the NHL's top playmakers, had given Boston an ultimatum to bring in more supporting talent or trade him. The Bruins, in danger of finishing out of the playoffs for the first time in 30 years, responded by swinging one of the biggest deals in recent NHL history.

The Bruins sent three of their top players to Washington in a deal of veterans for youth. In exchange, the Bruins received goaltender Jim Carey, centres Jason Allison and Anson Carter, a 1997 third-round draft choice and a 1998 second-round pick if the Capitals re-sign Tocchet, an unrestricted free agent when his contract expires in May.

The deal is the biggest in the NHL since the Philadelphia Flyers acquired Eric Lindros from the Quebec Nordiques in 1992 for six players, two draft picks and $15 million.

``We had to find a situation where a team was looking for now and was prepared to give up some of its future,'' Bruins general manager Harry Sinden said at a press conference.

Bruins coach Steve Kasper felt the trade would improve team morale.

``The last week has been a little trying,'' he said. ``There has been, if you want to say, a cloud hanging around.

``Now the team can focus. They can look into the locker room and say, this is our club. It will help the club.''

Considering the Canucks' needs and the potential to have a line of Mogilny-Oates-Bure, would you have accepted the offer of Oates for Linden from the Bruins?
Works Cited

Bell, Terry. "Back to Front: Mogilny, Bure Blast Like Past." The Province: 0. Jan 03 1997. ProQuest. Web. 20 Aug. 2014 .

Bell, Terry. "Quinn may Sow Playoff Oates." The Province: 0. Feb 27 1997. ProQuest. Web. 20 Aug. 2014 .

"Caps Get Oates, Tocchet, Ranford; Bruins Get Carey, Youth." The Gazette: 0. Mar 02 1997. ProQuest. Web. 20 Aug. 2014 .

Gallagher, Tony. "Mogilny Demands Centre Help." The Province: 0. Jan 02 1997. ProQuest. Web. 20 Aug. 2014 .

Gallagher, Tony. "Oates on Hot Spot: Dared to Point the Finger." The Province: 0. Feb 21 1997. ProQuest. Web. 20 Aug. 2014 .

MacIntyre, Iain. "Vancouver Not on Oates' Itinerary: Bruins Wanted Trevor Linden for 34-Year-Old Centre Straight Up, but Canucks Declined." The Vancouver Sun: 0. Feb 26 1997. ProQuest. Web. 20 Aug. 2014 .

Mason, Gary. "It Sounds Like Mogilny Will be Traded by Quinn before Deadline." The Vancouver Sun: 0. Jan 15 1997. ProQuest. Web. 20 Aug. 2014 .

Mason, Gary. "Mogilny Frustrated, Quinn Says." The Vancouver Sun: 0. Jan 04 1997. ProQuest. Web. 20 Aug. 2014 .

Last edited by a moderator:

JA

Oates was past his primes by 1996. He was 33.

He had just completed a 92-point season and had 60 assists, 82 points in 1996-97. He had three more 70+ point seasons in Washington (playing with Peter Bondra) before the arrival of Jaromir Jagr in 2001-02. In 2000-01, he led the Washington Capitals in scoring with 69 assists, 82 points.

He had a few years left in him despite his age. He led his team in scoring in 1995-96. He was beginning his decline from a 90+ point player to a 70+ point player, but he could still make plays. That said, his main complaint in 1996-97 was that he lacked linemates in Boston.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
The only thing I remember about Adam Oates was Brett Hull.

I saw a highlight of when Oates and Hull faced each other as opponents for the first time after being traded...as Oates was skating off the ice after warm-ups he feathered a pass to Hull in the slot who one-timed it top corner.

Was pretty cool.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Letting Ronning go the previous offseason (in the belief that Gretzky was about to sign) was really the source of the problem for Mogilny's production.

Oates for Linden would be interesting, but of course the Sakic for Linden trade that Quinn reportedly declined from Quebec early in their careers (as reported by Jim Robson and many others not long after) is the killer. Perhaps we'd be getting every former Swift Current Bronco today instead of Medicine Hat Tiger if that were the case...

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Considering a year later, the Canucks got a young Todd Bertuzzi and a young Brian McCabe (plus a third round pick that became Jarko Ruutu) for Linden....you have to think that worked out better than bringing an aging Adam Oates to Vancouver would have.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
water under the bridge ...but interesting parallels to right now, just a few years after a cup-run, trying to keep the dream alive .... can't fault the decision to go younger.

i'll never forget sitting low in the corner in the old coliseum for a Blues game w a FO right in front of me, Oates wins the draw clean to Hull at the top of the circle and he snapped it in ...fastest goal ive ever seen to this day, less than a second on the clock...

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Considering a year later, the Canucks got a young Todd Bertuzzi and a young Brian McCabe (plus a third round pick that became Jarko Ruutu) for Linden....you have to think that worked out better than bringing an aging Adam Oates to Vancouver would have.

Bingo. The only good thing to come out of the Keenan "dark ages".

No McCabe....and there's a good chance, no Sedins (or only one of them - and who knows how good one of them would've developed without the other on the same team).

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Mogilny - Oates - Bure would be an incredible scoring line. Giving up Linden would have sucked but in that time period, that line is top-5 in the league.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011

Don't forget that McCabe was traded for a 1st round draft choice that was used to move up in the draft to get land the Sedins.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I remember hearing Tom Larscheid say on a radio broadcast in the mid-90s that the Canucks could have traded Linden for Sakic when he was still in Quebec. He framed it like Quinn was inquiring over Sakic and the Nords GM said, "Ok, but you have to give me Linden" and that's where it died. Not a rock solid source but that's haunted me over the years.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I remember hearing Tom Larscheid say on a radio broadcast in the mid-90s that the Canucks could have traded Linden for Sakic when he was still in Quebec. He framed it like Quinn was inquiring over Sakic and the Nords GM said, "Ok, but you have to give me Linden" and that's where it died. Not a rock solid source but that's haunted me over the years.
I alluded to that above, actually. The way it was reported at the time, Pierre Pagé was indeed willing to do it straight up. I'm not sure in whose interest it would have been to leak this information, but it was always treated as accurate by the (much smaller) hockey media at the time.

JA

You can trace that back to the start of the 1993-94 season:
Willing to pay the price:: [Final Edition]
Beamish, Mike. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 08 Apr 2003: F9.

To Quinn, Linden's scoring ability -- he had six seasons of 30- plus goals under Quinn's watch -- was not critically important. He put a high price on Linden's doggedness and fire in the heart, especially in postseason.

One of the most alluring tests of Quinn's belief came at the start of the 1993-94 season, when the Quebec Nordiques waved the notion of Burnaby Joe Sakic coming to Vancouver in trade for Linden. Quinn wouldn't bite, and not just because of the $1.2 million difference in salary.

Swap talk has Sakic on move: [Final Edition]
Gallagher, Tony. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 15 Oct 1995: A83.

The injury to Uwe Krupp in Colorado, for instance, has put Joe Sakic on the block. Although the team and the Burnaby native's agent Don Baizley are talking about a new contract, it's been confirmed general manager Pierre Lacroix is asking for the best offers from teams with competent offensive defencemen.

Doubtless the Canucks will be getting a call inquiring as to the availability of Jeff Brown, a man they would cheerfully move but only for another similar offensive defender.

Sakic playing with Alexander Mogilny, Pavel Bure or Trevor Linden would certainly add to the Canucks already formidable offensive array, but such a deal would be expensive and has already been turned down once, Sakic even up for Linden two years ago. The Avalanche feels Peter Forsberg is ready to take the step to the No. 1 centre spot if they do get an offensive defenceman. Another way they may go is to move Sakic to Chicago for Jeremy Roenick, who has ticked off owner Bill Wirtz with his public comments last summer. Hawks GM Bob Pulford was in Denver watching Sakic Monday and Wednesday of last week.

Back in 1993:
THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE UGLY: Tony Gallagher rates the rich and the poor: [Final Edition]
Gallagher, Tony. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 04 Oct 1993: S8.

3. Quebec Nordiques

- Outlook: Were it not for so much uncertainty with contracts, the Nords would finish higher. But Owen Nolan has shoulder problems, Steve Duchesne is still holding out and everyone is waiting for Joe Sakic to come to the Canucks when Peter Forsberg arrives after the Olympics.

Goalie glut spurs annual Vernon talk: [Final Edition]
Gallagher, Tony. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 12 Oct 1993: A62.

And further on the trade talk scene, the Quebec Nordiques continue to discuss the future of Burnaby's Joe Sakic with other teams, including the Los Angeles Kings. Luc Robitaille is the object of their affection there and it's well known the Nords covet the talents of Vancouver's Trevor Linden.

Tightwad policy depriving fans: [Final Edition]
Gallagher, Tony. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 19 Dec 1993: A79.

Maybe by the time you read this Pat Quinn and the ownership of the Vancouver Canucks will have taken steps to improve this city's NHL team.

If not today, maybe soon after the eight-day roster freeze. Because it's high time this city's fans got some value for the higher prices they've been paying.

Those fans, along with the veteran players, need to be convinced the team is willing to spend some money to allow it to take the next step towards winning. They need to be shown that winning, not just making money, is a priority.

Quinn is now even hinting publicly at the financial constraints he's under. As one veteran said Friday: "You can't just blame Pat for doing nothing. He has the financial picture to consider."

Let's be blunt. This team started into its holding pattern two years ago after losing to Edmonton in the playoffs. Rather than negotiate with the Russians on a rights-fee extension (which eventually cost Calgary just $50,000 for Sergei Makarov) the Canucks lost Igor Larionov. Since then, nobody has been found to play with Pavel Bure. They got Anatoli Semenov from Tampa cheap, then could hardly hide their glee when they lost the remaining three years on his contract in the expansion draft.

Let Quinn spend some money with a financially unbalanced trade. Let him go and get that power-play quarterback, a centre who can play with Bure. Get a Steve Duchesne, a Joe Sakic, or a Tomas Sandstrom. You'll get the money back.

With all due respect to these players, how can fans watch Dane Jackson, Dan Kesa, Evgeny Namestnikov and Neil Eisenhut in the same lineup and conclude this organization is serious about winning?

Don't tell us you're losing money. Only the most gullible fan believes this codswallop.

We knew the Nordiques thought very highly of Trevor, as dating back to the 1988 NHL Entry Draft they were trying to acquire his rights.
Nords trying to talk Stars out of first pick
Houston, William. The Globe and Mail [Toronto, Ont] 11 June 1988: A.17.

Today's National Hockey League entry draft is wide open after a series of developments yesterday.

The most significant was a strong bid by the Quebec Nordiques to acquire the Minnesota North Stars' first over-all selection.

The Nordiques, who would use the pick to select right winger Trevor Linden of the Medicine Hat Tigers, are attempting to flip draft choices with the North Stars, sending Minnesota either their third or fifth over- all pick as well as a player.

It is believed the Nordiques are offering defenceman Normand Rochefort. Defenceman Randy Moller also has been mentioned as the player Minnesota may want.

Last night, the speculation increased when Nordique coach Ron Lapointe was seen huddling with Linden. The betting seemed to be that at shortly after noon today, the Nordiques will announce they are picking first and will then take Linden.

The 1993 Sakic negotiations actually happened. Rumors of another Sakic discussion briefly surfaced in 1997.
Sakic for Linden? Must be summer: [Final Edition]
McKeachie, John. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 16 July 1997: A39.

The latest from this summer's NHL rumor mill:

Last week we told you Marc Crawford would get the job coaching Team Canada at the Nagano, Japan, Olympics. This week NHL sources suggest Joe Sakic will become a member of the Vancouver Canucks, but the cost will be Trevor Linden and, perhaps, more.

An agent tell us there is enough discontent in Canucksville to suggest there's no way Pavel Bure will step on the ice for Vancouver. Whether it's medical, political or personal, it's sayonara.

And Montreal is back in front of the Andy Moog free-agent sweepstakes, despite the fact the veteran goalie passed a San Jose medical last week.

What do you bet Pat Quinn is trying to deal Kirk McLean, who is vacationing in England, then entering the Moog sweepstakes?

The trouble is, timing is everything and a trade would have to be made before the free-agent signing.

Works Cited

Beamish, Mike. "Willing to Pay the Price:" The Vancouver Sun: 0. Apr 08 2003. ProQuest. Web. 20 Aug. 2014 .

Gallagher, Tony. "Goalie Glut Spurs Annual Vernon Talk." The Province: 0. Oct 12 1993. ProQuest. Web. 20 Aug. 2014 .

Gallagher, Tony. "Swap Talk has Sakic on Move." The Province: 0. Oct 15 1995. ProQuest. Web. 20 Aug. 2014 .

Gallagher, Tony. "THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE UGLY: Tony Gallagher Rates the Rich and the Poor." The Province: 0. Oct 04 1993. ProQuest. Web. 20 Aug. 2014 .

Gallagher, Tony. "Tightwad Policy Depriving Fans." The Province: 0. Dec 19 1993. ProQuest. Web. 20 Aug. 2014 .

Houston, William. "Nords Trying to Talk Stars Out of First Pick." The Globe and Mail: 0. Jun 11 1988. ProQuest. Web. 20 Aug. 2014 .

McKeachie, John. "Sakic for Linden? must be Summer." The Province: 0. Jul 16 1997. ProQuest. Web. 20 Aug. 2014 .

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
oh my, what does linden's career look like playing adam deadmarsh's role on an avs team with forsberg, sundin, and ricci down the middle?

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Oates would have been outstanding with Bure and Mogilny (probably not on the same line, maybe Tikkanen - Oates - Bure), but I can see why they didn't make this trade. Only a couple years after 94 and Linden was the captain. Would have been a pretty dangerous situation for the team. In hindsight, I probably make that deal. Would actually maximize what we had in Mogilny and Bure. Instead it was a failed cluster****. Like most of the Canucks' history.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Oates would have been outstanding with Bure and Mogilny (probably not on the same line, maybe Tikkanen - Oates - Bure), but I can see why they didn't make this trade. Only a couple years after 94 and Linden was the captain. Would have been a pretty dangerous situation for the team. In hindsight, I probably make that deal. Would actually maximize what we had in Mogilny and Bure. Instead it was a failed cluster****. Like most of the Canucks' history.

In hindsight you would have made that deal?

Linden turned into Bertuzzi and McCabe, which turned into a whole Sedin and Luongo's best years.

Lundface*

oh my, what does linden's career look like playing adam deadmarsh's role on an avs team with forsberg, sundin, and ricci down the middle?

Sakic's impact was huge for the Avs, if they had traded Linden for him I doubt they end up doing what they did.

Linden was a massive flop in Washington, Montreal, Long Island and Van the 2nd time around.

Sakic is one of the best shooters the game has ever seen and a far better talent.

Sakic + Naslund + Bertuzzi + Morrison might have been enough to make up for Cloutier

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
In hindsight you would have made that deal?

Linden turned into Bertuzzi and McCabe, which turned into a whole Sedin and Luongo's best years.

Yeah it'd be hard to sacrifice all those Stanley Cups the Sedins and Luongo brought us, but yeah I'd do it.

Besides, you're dabbling in revisionism. The Canucks likely still could have made the Sedin trades without Bryan McCabe. And if they had their eye on Bertuzzi, they could have pried him off the Island without Linden I'm sure. It's not worth arguing, there's a million ways things could have gone if this trade was made. For example, instead of trading him to Vancouver, the Bruins traded him (plus vets Tochett and Ranford) to Washington for Jim Carey, Anson Carter and Jason Allison, there's a lot of dominoes from there. Could have traded Linden for him and flipped him the next season for something similar if it didn't work out. Allowing us to perhaps bring in the aforementioned Sedins and Luongo anyway.

Linden never got any better than he was at that time, I personally was very much into hockey in 1996 and went to a lot of games. I would have loved to see what that team could have done with a centre like Adam Oates. We would have been trading Linden at the peak of his career. Oates posted 67 assists and 92 points in 70 games in 95/96 and was one of the greatest playmakers the sport has ever seen. I would have liked to see what he could have done with wingers like Mogilny and Bure.

I love Linden and I can see why they didn't make the trade, but in hindsight I would do that deal personally.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Yeah it'd be hard to sacrifice all those Stanley Cups the Sedins and Luongo brought us, but yeah I'd do it.

Besides, you're dabbling in revisionism. The Canucks likely still could have made the Sedin trades without Bryan McCabe. And if they had their eye on Bertuzzi, they could have pried him off the Island without Linden I'm sure. It's not worth arguing, there's a million ways things could have gone if this trade was made. For example, instead of trading him to Vancouver, the Bruins traded him (plus vets Tochett and Ranford) to Washington for Jim Carey, Anson Carter and Jason Allison, there's a lot of dominoes from there. Could have traded Linden for him and flipped him the next season for something similar if it didn't work out. Allowing us to perhaps bring in the aforementioned Sedins and Luongo anyway.

Linden never got any better than he was at that time, I personally was very much into hockey in 1996 and went to a lot of games. I would have loved to see what that team could have done with a centre like Adam Oates. We would have been trading Linden at the peak of his career. Oates posted 67 assists and 92 points in 70 games in 95/96 and was one of the greatest playmakers the sport has ever seen. I would have liked to see what he could have done with wingers like Mogilny and Bure.

I love Linden and I can see why they didn't make the trade, but in hindsight I would do that deal personally.
You can try to rationalize how ever you like, but you're so deep in the 'grass is greener' mentality you have your head buried in the lawn.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Sakic's impact was huge for the Avs, if they had traded Linden for him I doubt they end up doing what they did.

Linden was a massive flop in Washington, Montreal, Long Island and Van the 2nd time around.

Sakic is one of the best shooters the game has ever seen and a far better talent.

Sakic + Naslund + Bertuzzi + Morrison might have been enough to make up for Cloutier

I don't disagree but if they traded Sakic for Linden, there would be no Bertuzzi, fyi.

Lundface*

I don't disagree but if they traded Sakic for Linden, there would be no Bertuzzi, fyi.

True but Linden wasn't the only way to get Bertuzzi, or any player for that matter.

The truth is that Naslund plus Sakic is far more attractive than Naslund Linden, and better than Naslund Bertuzzi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad