1995 draft: our worst?

Huge94

Oct 8, 2011
Montreal
I was wandering on HockeyDB when I encountered what has got to be one of the worst Habs draft ever. In 1995, out of our 9 picks, only one (Stéphane Robidas) went on to have an NHL career whereas nearly all the others have quit hockey altogether only a couple of years later... Here are our other picks:

- 1st: Terry Ryan (8 NHL games, retired in 2003)
- 2nd: no pick
- 3rd: Miroslav Guren (36 NHL games, is playing in Italy after a 2-year retirement)
- 3rd: Martin Hohenberger (0 NHL games, retired 4 years ago)
- 4th: Jonathan Delisle (1 NHL games, retired 6 years ago)
- 5th: Niklas Anger (0 NHL games, retired)
- 6th: Boyd Olson (0 NHL games, retired in 2000)
- 7th: Stephane Robidas (great pick)
- 8th: Greg Hart (0 NHL games, retired the year after we drafted him)
- 9th: Eric Houde (30 NHL games, retired after playing in LNAH)

With Robidas: 874 NHL games divided in 9 players.
Without Robidas: 75 NHL games divided in 8 players.

Now I know the draft is not an exact science and you never know, but what an awful, awful draft. Most of these guys were not even good enough to have a journeyman career in Europe or lower leagues.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
When I want to get really depressed, I go down the list of our first round picks in the 90's. Feels bad, man.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I was wandering on HockeyDB when I encountered what has got to be one of the worst Habs draft ever. In 1995, out of our 9 picks, only one (Stéphane Robidas) went on to have an NHL career whereas nearly all the others have quit hockey altogether only a couple of years later... Here are our other picks:

- 3rd: Miroslav Guren (36 NHL games, is playing in Italy after a 2-year retirement)

Now I know the draft is not an exact science and you never know, but what an awful, awful draft. Most of these guys were not even good enough to have a journeyman career in Europe or lower leagues.

Did you take a peek at the 1999 draft?:cry:

Also the 2003 draft had huge repercussion. They made solid picks later in the draft but selecting AKost when Getzlaf, Parise, Richards, Carter, Kessler all franchise players hurt the organization for years. If we had a #1 center from that draft, the Gomez trade would of never occurred.

Huge94

Oct 8, 2011
Montreal
Did you take a peek at the 1999 draft?:cry:

Also the 2003 draft had huge repercussion. They made solid picks later in the draft but selecting AKost when Getzlaf, Parise, Richards, Carter, Kessler all franchise players hurt the organization for years. If we had a #1 center from that draft, the Gomez trade would of never occurred.

haha I just saw.

What struck me the most is that we drafted a goon with the 8th pick overall. The guy's best stats was a 4 PIM/g in the AHL. *****-a-doodle-doo.

At least Buturlin had a career after. :nod:

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
1999 we did not have a 1st as it went for Linden, so it's hard to compare, but it was definitely another awful one. Granted, that was not a deep crop. Lots of teams had bad drafts in 1999.

Huge94

Oct 8, 2011
Montreal
Also, I know he's a 8th round pick and all, but who the **** is Greg Hart? That guy doesn't even have a position on HockeyDB and he retired the year after we drafted him... He decided he didn't like hockey anymore just after being drafted by us?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Also, I know he's a 8th round pick and all, but who the **** is Greg Hart? That guy doesn't even have a position on HockeyDB and he retired the year after we drafted him... He decided he didn't like hockey anymore just after being drafted by us?

In hindsight, if there was ever a time to bail out on being a Montreal Canadiens... :laugh:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

Just to make the pain worst

With the 1st round pick we could have had

Jarome Iginla
Petr Sykora
Radek Dvorak

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I hate Houle, the GM, with a passion. But unless it's been proven that the GM totally hired an incompetent, people overestimate the real power of a GM in an amateur draft. GM's bigger job is to hope he hired the right person. But Houle didn't had such a poor draft in 1999, just like Houle isn't the one who had such a great draft in 1998. And imagine if we would have went with Gagné instead....Hould would NOT have had one of the best drafts ever....The worst draft ever? Everything could be debatable....but not what's important. We stalled in the team's development in their lack of competent 1st rounders in the 90's. You can trade and sign every plugger you want, but you have a harder time doing that to gamechanging players.

Somehow, though with NOT the same level of idiocy and far from it, 1st rounders are also Timmins weakest strength (if that makes sense). 2007 was incredible great. 2005 could have been so much worst. And time will tell from 2009 to 2011 so that record could go way up in a nick of time. But as of now....he's much more impressive in other rounds.

And I will have to say this. While 1995, or whatever draft looks and is indeed incredibly bad in the 1990's....2006 was, in retrospect, awful as well. What makes a draft awful? How many high picks, what players were available and so on. 4 picks out of the first 70 in 2006 with a couple of really interesting players around, 2 being from the league that was almost drafted the less by the NHL and should not have been the case from us (Giroux and Marchand). Again, this is ALL in retrospect. In hindsight. I do remember that I wanted Giroux a whole lot (with Berglund some will remember....), and I'm not even sure I had any interest in Marchand, I think I do remember that his game would never translate.....But the game we're playing now is hindisight so here it is.

But obviously, draft that almost didn't produce 1 NHL'er out of 12-15 picks...well that's beyond awful, I know.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The best draft in Habs history is 1984.

Petr Svoboda at number 5
Shayne Corson at number 8
Stephane Richer at number 29
Patrick Roy at number 51
And a bunch of busts.

Here's the interesting thing: the Habs apparently offered the Penguins all of their picks for the 1st overall, who was Mario Lemieux. Penguins said no. In hindsight, would that have been a good trade?

Huge94

Oct 8, 2011
Montreal

Petr Svoboda at number 5
Patrick Roy at number 51
And a bunch of busts.

Here's the interesting thing: the Habs apparently offered the Penguins all of their picks for the 1st overall, who was Mario Lemieux. Penguins said no. In hindsight, would that have been a good trade?

I would happily trade away everything I have to see Mario in the bleu-blanc-rouge. Roy might be my favorite goalie ever, but Mario is Mario and he is Magnifique!

Analyzer*

Petr Svoboda at number 5
Patrick Roy at number 51
And a bunch of busts.

Do that deal, then trade away some nobody for a 3rd and draft Roy.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

Petr Svoboda at number 5
Patrick Roy at number 51
And a bunch of busts.

For Mario Lemieux, anytime.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012

I agree that it's a funny notion and the habs should have probably interviewed him better (if they did at all) but believe it or not, not every kid that plays CHL or NCAA has dreams of making the NHL. Even if they get drafted. At that age a person is still figuring out what they want and who they are.

As an 8th round pick, Greg Hart probably figured he wasn't talented enough to make the big $$ and toiling in the ECHL just wasn't worth it to him.

One place this happens a lot is the CFL. Kids are drafted but don't love football enough to work for CFL wages so they move on to other careers. Most of them already got a free education from football, so it's served it's purpose.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
Terry Ryan was the dominant physical power forward (in the WHL) that we had been looking for 20 years. The problem was that his game did not translate well to the NHL. He was a little too small for that style in the NHL, and ran into concussion trouble as a result which derailed his career.

When Roy was drafted there was a rule: never draft a goalie in the first round. He played on a really bad team. Goalies were the Rodney Dangerfield's of hockey, they were paid poorly, and were seen as odd characters. In short, they got no respect. Roy not only changed the position, he changed the pay scale, and when goalies are drafted.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Robidas' hf rating was about 5.5 if I remember correctly. He got his first shot in the nhl because of a slew of injuries. Nobody really ever talked or thought much about him as an nhl product, even when he got his first taste. Its a real feel good type of story for him to put this kind of career together, but it took a huge stroke of luck for the habs to salvage anything out of this draft year

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Terry Ryan was the dominant physical power forward (in the WHL) that we had been looking for 20 years. The problem was that his game did not translate well to the NHL. He was a little too small for that style in the NHL, and ran into concussion trouble as a result which derailed his career.

In theory yes, but he was also one of the dumbest players I've ever seen play. Just didn't know when to pick his spots at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad