1994 gold vs. 2006 gold

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Hi, I was just curious on Swedes' thoughts of their two Olympic gold medals. Now that enough time has passed, which gold brings back fonder memories in Sweden? Your first Olympic gold medal in 1994, or your 2006 gold with the best players in the world in the tournament?

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Hi, I was just curious on Swedes' thoughts of their two Olympic gold medals. Now that enough time has passed, which gold brings back fonder memories in Sweden? Your first Olympic gold medal in 1994, or your 2006 gold with the best players in the world in the tournament?

The final game 1994 versus Canada was epic.
During the Olympics 2006 the Swedish team wasnt really playing that good and the best team during the tournament was Finland.

The most fun win to watch was without a doubt 1994. Amazing stuff, all 3 periods, OT and shootout. :yo:

Edit: Its a given that the Olympic gold 2006 is more worth since the best players were there but memory wise, the final 1994 was so much more memorable.

Last edited:

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Very tricky question. I have to give the edge to the 2006 gold, but only slightly, since it had such great players and teams in the tournament. But 1994 comes very close too, it's one of those legendary medals.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
I was only 9 years old in 94, but I remember the final pretty well. In 06, I watched every game and I rank that gold much higher, mainly because I actually remember it better, but also because NHL'ers were allowed to participate.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Both memory-wise from a personal perspective and in a more general way I rank 1994. What to remember is that 1994 in Lillehammer was totally bad for Sweden with hardly any medals at all and then this happened at the end and turned the table in a total and definite way. It was a breakthrough of sort, if it would not have happened then the Turin gold would have been iconic but now it is Lillehammer.

I lived in a student dorm (a corridor as it is called) and watched with the other "inmates". A good memory from an otherwise good time of life.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Since the 1994 Olympic tournament was probably the lowest level o competition ever on that stage, 2006 is an easy choice. I am actually a bit embarrassed over some swedes narrow minded approach to some of our hockey history. Quite a ew of our first gold medals in the World Championships was also a joke. 1987 was solid though.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Since the 1994 Olympic tournament was probably the lowest level o competition ever on that stage, 2006 is an easy choice. I am actually a bit embarrassed over some swedes narrow minded approach to some of our hockey history. Quite a ew of our first gold medals in the World Championships was also a joke. 1987 was solid though.

Still you are in a position where you go by metrics of the opposition and find that it was tougher in 2006. But let me say this, back in 1994 we were in no position to make estimates of our chances to win. Why? we hadn't had any chance to win it for decades and it wasn't like we saw it coming either.

In 2006 we knew our value and position, it wasn't unexpected that we actually could win.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Still you are in a position where you go by metrics of the opposition and find that it was tougher in 2006. But let me say this, back in 1994 we were in no position to make estimates of our chances to win. Why? we hadn't had any chance to win it for decades and it wasn't like we saw it coming either.

In 2006 we knew our value and position, it wasn't unexpected that we actually could win.

Yeah but i still maintain that it was delusional. That anybody viewed or views it as better than 1987 is just sick. Of course it does'nt help that Kariyas penalty shot is often aired when we see highlights of it, i know people that takes that as uniformed proof that we actually won against premiere opposition. We also just happened to have many former NHL-players on our team along with Forsberg which also fools people, while at the same time takes quite a bit of the surprise out of that we actually won.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad