1993 VS 2013 Habs

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
i know i have romanticized the 93 roster, but looking at it again, it just screams intangibles and grit - not skill.

roy won that cup no doubt about it.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
i know i have romanticized the 93 roster, but looking at it again, it just screams intangibles and grit - not skill.

roy won that cup no doubt about it.

Well, except for the obvious gap in the 1st line.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
This team has been missing Odelein ever since he left.

Emelin is the closest thing we got right now, but what we need is one dirty, big, reliable and rough stay-at-home D that can fight against anyone. Odelein was this, and we need one to take this team one step further.

And I'm not on the "we need an enforcer" bandwagon. Souray and Komisarek in their prime were great, but Souray was too important on offence and Komisarek couldn't fight. That role is better filled with 5/6th D.

No, Odelein was not as good as Emelin, Souray or Komisarek. But as a role player, he'd fill our needs more than any of these. I like Bouillon but he's on the wrong team, especially if Emelin's out.

What's today's equivalent of Odelein in the league? Let's get him.

Douglas Murray.

He was available......

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Douglas Murray.

He was available......

At the cost of a few picks that we need to... well, exactly to get bigger.

Besides, even if the Habs get Murray, they're still stuck with a first line that is, in all points imaginable, inferior to the first line of 1993.

And small point : Murray is a pretty bad fighter.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
old, over the hill, slow as mollasse, pending UFA murray or am i confusing him with the 'other' murray?

either way, glad bergevin didn't waste assets on him. the pens outbid (2nd and conditional 2nd in murray's case) just about everyone this year because they have quality assets, be it prospects or picks, they can pawn off for rentals and player that fill positions of need. quality assets they acquired by drafting and developing properly. we simply are not there yet, we are not in a position to deal draft picks for veterans and rentals. yet.

you'd really do murray to the habs for a 2nd and a conditional 2nd. essentially 2 2nd round picks if we resign a 33 year old player?

rather ironically, the same crowd that whines that bergevin didn't acquire more depth/toughness/goon/whatever, is the same crowd that would be first to complain that bergevin traded assets for old-as-****/over-the-hill/players he didn't/couldn't re-sign...

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
1993 lol.

That team had clutch written all over it, oh they also had the best damn goaltender in league history.

Oh they also won the mother****ing Stanley Cup.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
1993 lol.

That team had clutch written all over it, oh they also had the best damn goaltender in league history.

Oh they also won the mother****ing Stanley Cup.

All things considered, that 1993 team wouldn't win the 2013 Stanley Cup or even make the finals.

DLR1970

Mar 13, 2013
South Carolina
1993. Not even close. Muller, Damphousse, Bellows were legit threats, big time players during that Cup Run. Take either out, and the run ends, regardless of Roy's greatness that year. 2013 had no one close to the level of Muller, Damphousse or Bellows. Defensively, trading Desjardins is still one of the worst mistakes Montreal front office ever made. Underrated D Man, played better during that Cup run than any Montreal D Man since.
Comparing 93 and 13 isn't like comparing apples to oranges, it's like comparing apples to onions :shakehead

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
All things considered, that 1993 team wouldn't win the 2013 Stanley Cup or even make the finals.
They obviously got lucky due to the Isles beating Pittsburgh that year, but the 2012 Kings are a worse team that went on a run to the Cup in practically the same manner.

The sole reason for the decline in youth hockey in North America is attributed to the extremely high costs to play the sport.

The problem with Quebecois hockey players is that they alone are declining. Western Canadian and Ontario players are increasing or holding steady (remember there are six more teams now than in 1993). Obviously Americans and Europeans have exploded. That suggests a problem in the way Quebec players are being developed.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Habs by the bay congratulations you are right about the plight of Quebec players and the decline of kids playing.Football in the past 20 yrs in Quebec has taken off putting5 players in cfl and nfl.It'-s due to costs and single parents who can'-t afford the out ragious costs in minor hockey

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The big difference between 1993 and 2013 is that we had a playoff goalie in Roy, a legitimate 1st line in Damphousse - Muller - Bellows, and a lot of guys that were defensively solid that added grit and character. That 93 team has a good D with a solid transition game but they weren't soft like the 2013 version could be.

Schneider hit, Odelein was a tough mother****er who could play, Haller was tough too and could skate.

While Pacioretty is a legit 1st line player, he is no where as good defensively as Damphousse was.

There's no Muller, Keane or Odelein on this team. If we had 3 players in those moulds, we would've been awesome.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The big difference between 1993 and 2013 is that we had a playoff goalie in Roy, a legitimate 1st line in Damphousse - Muller - Bellows, and a lot of guys that were defensively solid that added grit and character. That 93 team has a good D with a solid transition game but they weren't soft like the 2013 version could be.

Schneider hit, Odelein was a tough mother****er who could play, Haller was tough too and could skate.

While Pacioretty is a legit 1st line player, he is no where as good defensively as Damphousse was.

There's no Muller, Keane or Odelein on this team. If we had 3 players in those moulds, we would've been awesome.

They also had a guy who's widely considered the best defensive center since WWII and who was still somewhat in his prime.

This team has no Carbonneau, and please, no mention of Plekanec or even Eller in the same sentence than Carbo...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
We have nothing in common, what the puck is this?

The only things common there is that we have a number 1 D, a number 1 G and Plekanec who plays like Carbo a bit. NOTHING else comparable.

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
This team has been missing Odelein ever since he left.

Emelin is the closest thing we got right now, but what we need is one dirty, big, reliable and rough stay-at-home D that can fight against anyone. Odelein was this, and we need one to take this team one step further.

And I'm not on the "we need an enforcer" bandwagon. Souray and Komisarek in their prime were great, but Souray was too important on offence and Komisarek couldn't fight. That role is better filled with 5/6th D.

No, Odelein was not as good as Emelin, Souray or Komisarek. But as a role player, he'd fill our needs more than any of these. I like Bouillon but he's on the wrong team, especially if Emelin's out.

What's today's equivalent of Odelein in the league? Let's get him.

Odelein is probably one of the most underated Habs ever. The Habs have always had big tough defenseman until a few years ago although none have come close to the impact Odelein had on this team in the toughness/grit department. If you think about it since Odelein the Habs have usually iced a d-men who could fight and win the majority of their fights; Quintal, Rivet, Manson, and Souray.

In reality since Rivet and Souray left there has been no real toughness on the backend and this team sorely misses that. The real hope here isn't Emelin but moreso one of Tinordi and/or Thrower to develop into a mean NHL d-man.

Sir Jacques Demers

May 5, 2006
This thread highlights an important issue; we haven't had enough legit 1st line players in a long time.

Bellows-Muller-Damphousse were 1st line players, even though they weren't top 15 forwards in the NHL. (how many ASG appearances among those 3?).

It was fine, because we had 3 of them. We've spent the last 15 years having either 0 or 1 of them. It's very hard for a team to win championships without go-to players on the first line.

Koivu was legitimate 1st line player in his prime, if he was well surrounded on the wings and well supported by a decent 2nd line. (this almost never happened, Recchi comes to mind, with Damphousse on the "2nd" line).

Kovalev was also a legit 1st line player for a couple of years (in those years, Koivu was a 2nd line caliber player).

I'm basically disappointed year after year with the lack of movement to bring an impact player to the team. Of course, we're in building stages now, so it's not the time. I'm still sour over not taking Marian Hossa as a rental.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
2013 Habs #2 center is Desharnais... enough said.:shakehead

Perhaps you don't remember that in 1993 the Habs # 2 center was Stephan Lebeau... enough said. :shakehead

Are we going to turn this into more pointless arguments on size? It's hilarious that you're pointing to Desharnais in a thread that compares the 2013 team to the 1993 team. Lebeau was 5'10" if you're being generous, a one-dimensional offensive player, very small, and not at all physical. Sounds a lot like Desharnais. Yet despite this apparent handicap, they won the cup with him as a # 2 center.

And backing up Lebeau down the middle were Carbonneau (5'11"), DiPietro (5'9") and a washed up Denis Savard (5'10"). Despite having Muller there, this has to be one of the smallest collection of centres ever assembled. Certainly smaller than our current batch.

And they won the Stanley Cup.

No more of these "we can't win with Desharnais on the roster" posts please.

KingGallagherXI

Jul 10, 2009
They weren't much better than the 2013 Habs if you exclude the goalies. Our full healthy line up with Patrick Roy on fire would have won the cup. With our injuries though, maybe we wouldn't have.

I think Price has his best years ahead of him, and he will prove he's one of the best, but Roy was the clutchest mother****er of all times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad