1993 roster vs current roster

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
The 1993 roster was filled with great players, they had offense, defense, grit, leadership, goaltending, they had it all. They went on to win the Stanley Cup and the last Canadian team to win the cup ever since. Now 28 years later, the Canadiens have a chance in writing history once again. In 93 they were the underdogs and they're still the underdogs this year. Let's look at the roster of both years and tell me which roster is better (not counting the cup)

1993 roster:
Vincent Damphousse
Guy Carbonneau
Kirk Muller
Brian Bellows
Paul Dipietro
Stefan Lebeau
Gilbert Dionne
Gary Leeman
John LeClair
Mike Keane
Benoit Brunet
Ed Ronen
Todd Ewen
Jesse Belanger
Denis Savard
J.J Daigneault
Patrice Brisebois
Eric Desjardins
Matthew Schneider
Lyle Odelein
Kevin Haller
Sean Hill
Patrick Roy

2021 roster:
Nick Suzuki
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Cole Caufield
Tyler Tofolli
Josh Anderson
Jonathan Drouin
Philip Danault
Brendan Gallgher
Joel Armia
Paul Byron
Corey Perry
Jake Evans
Erik Staal
Arrturi Lehkonen
Tomas Tatar
Ben Chiarot
Shea Weber
Alexander Romanov
Jeff Petry
Joel Edmundston
Brett Kulak
Jon Merrill
Erik Gustafsson
Carey Price

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
This whole underdog thing needs to stop. They were 2 games back of Quebec. Then they played Buffalo (bottom seed) who knocked off top seeded Boston. Isles (bottom seed) go passed Washington and then top seeded Pittsburgh. The Habs had to beat two teams that were the worst in their respective divisions making the playoffs. The Kings were barely a playoff team but had the benefit of knocking around the Sharks (5-2) and Oilers (5-1-1). Wins against these two teams accounts for 25% of their wins that year. The Kings played the rest of the NHL at 3 games under .500...

Habs underdogs vs Quebec? Sure. The rest of the teams they faced in that years playoff... Not a chance.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
93's roster kicks the crap out of Montreal's current one. To make matters worse, this year's team has to go through much harder opposition. If we do win a cup this year, it will be one of the biggest upsets of all time. I can't think of a bigger one.

Curiously, out advanced numbers were really good this year though. That suggests the team was better than we expected. The team also lost a ton of points in the 3 on 3 OT nonsense. Still, the roster is incredibly weak for a team in the 3rd round.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
93's roster kicks the crap out of Montreal's current one. To make matters worse, this year's team has to go through much harder opposition. If we do win a cup this year, it will be one of the biggest upsets of all time. I can't think of a bigger one.

Curiously, out advanced numbers were really good this year though. That suggests the team was better than we expected. The team also lost a ton of points in the 3 on 3 OT nonsense. Still, the roster is incredibly weak for a team in the 3rd round.

They didn't lose any points in the 3 on 3 non sense, however they gave other teams non sense points that should not exist.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This whole underdog thing needs to stop. They were 2 games back of Quebec. Then they played Buffalo (bottom seed) who knocked off top seeded Boston. Isles (bottom seed) go passed Washington and then top seeded Pittsburgh. The Habs had to beat two teams that were the worst in their respective divisions making the playoffs. The Kings were barely a playoff team but had the benefit of knocking around the Sharks (5-2) and Oilers (5-1-1). Wins against these two teams accounts for 25% of their wins that year. The Kings played the rest of the NHL at 3 games under .500...

Habs underdogs vs Quebec? Sure. The rest of the teams they faced in that years playoff... Not a chance.
Exactly. We got extremely lucky with the schedule. The Nords were the toughest team we faced and they were only two points ahead in the standings.

We absolutely were unexpected champions that year but nobody expected Pittsburgh to lose to the Isles. And it never should've happened to begin with. Kasparitis was allowed to mug Lemieux to the point where it was disgusting.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
They didn't lose any points in the 3 on 3 non sense, however they gave other teams non sense points that should not exist.
Six of one... half of the other. They were conceding points to their opponents in OT. Not really reflective of what they could do five on five, which is what matters in the playoffs.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Exactly. We got extremely lucky with the schedule. The Nords were the toughest team we faced and they were only two points ahead in the standings.

We absolutely were unexpected champions that year but nobody expected Pittsburgh to lose to the Isles. And it never should've happened to begin with. Kasparitis was allowed to mug Lemieux to the point where it was disgusting.

I have memories of my CHAMPS video that I watched OVER AND OVER AND OVER again as a kid. I remember I think was Kasp laying a huge hit on Jagr. I haven't had VCR in over a decade, so my memory is lucid at best.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I have memories of my CHAMPS video that I watched OVER AND OVER AND OVER again as a kid. I remember I think was Kasp laying a huge hit on Jagr. I haven't had VCR in over a decade, so my memory is lucid at best.
There was a clip of Kaparitis basically wrestling Lemieux to the ice and Lemieux is looking up like 'what the f***...' That kind of nonsense never should've been allowed.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Six of one... half of the other. They were conceding points to their opponents in OT. Not really reflective of what they could do five on five, which is what matters in the playoffs.

That's true. It's been nice to finally watch they string goal scoring together, which they haven't been able to do this the last time they made it to the ECF. I hope Vegas is over confident, the Habs only beat a good team in TO who are chokers and a poor Winnipeg team made even poorer because of a little boys temper tantrum.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The 93 team may have finished 3rd in their division, but I think they were like 6th or 7th in the whole league, and thats with Roy not having a good year.

I like the 93 team better than this one, but that being said, I also think the current habs roster did not show their best for most of the season.

The 93 team was more proven at key positions up front.... Like how much better would this team be right now with a Kirk muller type at center?

They also had a better mix of skill from the back end with Desjardins, Schneider, and I'll throw brisebois in there too. You also had Odelein who could play against anyone and was tough as nails.

The current habs team is more weighted towards the Odelein mould, but the puck moving aspect is lacking outside of Petry.

The 93 team wrote a good story in a great season for the nhl, but they didn't really upset anyone.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
God i hate those threads. There really should be a rule against those threads. There's like 3 posted every **** year. Give it a rest guys. The team in 93 finished 6th in the league and was just 2 points away from the 4th position. They were top 3 for like 80% of the season until they had a slump in the last 10 games. And it's questionable whatever that slump was a real slump. The team was in playoffs preparation mode and on the cruise control.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Our regulation record this season was 20-21 not really that great .... that's usually not enough to make the playoffs.

Do you have the record during the 25 games in 43 days stretch?

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018

TB is quite deep and the current Habs stand no chance, unless Price somehow transforms into Jesus. Spare the miracles, both Vegas and the Habs do match on paper in terms of strength and weaknesses.

Let's consider that there are way too many teams nowadays, a salary cap and escalating player salaries. Having another 1993 roster is virtually impossible. Back then, the Habs had better D, power forwards and snipers. But the game has changed. I truly believe that this year's playoff successes are because of an effective bottom 6. If Perry, Staal and Armia can still contain the opponent, then the Habs have a fighting chance.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
TB is quite deep and the current Habs stand no chance, unless Price somehow transforms into Jesus. Spare the miracles, both Vegas and the Habs do match on paper in terms of strength and weaknesses.

Let's consider that there are way too many teams nowadays, a salary cap and escalating player salaries. Having another 1993 roster is virtually impossible. Back then, the Habs had better D, power forwards and snipers. But the game has changed. I truly believe that this year's playoff successes are because of an effective bottom 6. If Perry, Staal and Armia can still contain the opponent, then the Habs have a fighting chance.
Pretty much nobody has a chance versus Tampa. They have a 98M cap for these playoffs. It's pretty ridiculous actually.
To give a good idea, remove Hedman and Kucherov, they'd still be over the regular season cap limit. It's so unfair, the league will very likely address this next season since it's been brought up.

Can you imagine if we could have a Kucherov and Hedman to the team vs Vegas?

Last edited:

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
In 1993 they were more lucky than underdogs. They lucked out in OTs and having to face lesser competition. I still can’t believe how the Penguins couldn’t 3-peat that year. By far the best team in the league and one of the best that was ever assembled.

93 team is far superior than this year’s edition.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
If I remember correctly, there were 24 teams back then? 7 less than today. 7 over 24 is almost 30%.

We have to adapt for that kind of parameters when comparing rankings etc, but I always forgot about it! :huh:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
In 1993 they were more lucky than underdogs. They lucked out in OTs and having to face lesser competition. I still can’t believe how the Penguins couldn’t 3-peat that year. By far the best team in the league and one of the best that was ever assembled.

93 team is far superior than this year’s edition.
Forget the Pens, had the Sabres not pulled off a monumental upset over Bruins, Habs would’ve lost for the 4th straight year to Boston - thus wouldn’t have made it past 2nd round

Reactions: RandomTask26

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

The Kings had an underwhelming year because Gretzky and Sandstrom only played half the season. Healthy and that’s likely a close to 50 win team.

Reactions: LaP and Habs10Habs

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

True. We had home ice advantage the last three series. And while LA had injury issues during the year, I would not have considered them favorites to win the final.

But it did look pretty bad with one minute left in the second game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad