1990 Quebec Nordiques vs. 1996 Boston Bruins

Michael Whiteacre

Dec 25, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
How would these two losing last-place basement cellar dwellar teams fare head to head in a 7 game series?

1990-91 Quebec will have Joe Sakic, Mats Sundin, Guy Lafleur, Owen Nolan, Tony Hrkac, Bryan Fogarty, Ron Tugnutt and Stephane Fiset. Eventually, a year later they would end up drafting Eric Lindros, but he refused to deal with Marcel Aubut. Lindros would've liked to play for Quebec if it meant swimming in endorsements, but Marcel Aubut's the type of NHL owner who would throw his stars under the bus.

1996-97 Boston will have Anson Carter, Jozef Stumpel, Rob DiMaio, Todd Elik, Ted Donato, Steve Heinze, Don Sweeney, Sheldon Kennedy, Jason Allison, Ray Bourque, Jim Carey and Tim Cheveldae. Eventually, a year later they would end up drafting Joe Thornton.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
It's a bit like asking: Would a team managed by Mike Milbury and coached by Dallas Eakins beat a team of volleyball players on skates?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
So you mean the 1991 Nords vs. the 1997 Bruins? Because the 1996 Bruins were pretty decent, making the playoffs only to be upset by the Panthers (I was surprised at least).

I'll have to go with the 1997 Bruins. Even after the trade where they got rid of Oates I still take them.

They had 61 points that year and San Jose had 62. While Quebec in 1991 had 46 and the next worst was Toronto with 57. The Bruins at least have Bourque on the team. The Nords have Sakic but he is really just alone on that team. Sundin was a rookie and had 59 points, that's okay, but then you have to look at the supporting cast: Tony Hrkac, Tony McKegney, a battered up Lafleur in his last season, Bryan Fogarty as possibly your best defenseman. Not good at all. Not to mention 5 goalies played there all year, that's not a good sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad