1990 Draft

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Hockey history fan coming in peace. Was randomly looking through the Oilers recent draft history, which lead me to look back a little bit further and noticed something on hockeydb.com that I don't often see for a team with 10+ picks in one draft class. The Edmonton Oilers made 11 selections in the 1990 draft with the total number of NHL games combined of all 11 players = 0 games played.

Any older fans know what happened that year in the scouting department. I know drafting was even more of a crapshoot back in the day, but just curious how it went so wrong.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Hockey history fan coming in peace. Was randomly looking through the Oilers recent draft history, which lead me to look back a little bit further and noticed something on hockeydb.com that I don't often see for a team with 10+ picks in one draft class. The Edmonton Oilers made 11 selections in the 1990 draft with the total number of NHL games combined of all 11 players = 0 games played.

Any older fans know what happened that year in the scouting department. I know drafting was even more of a crapshoot back in the day, but just curious how it went so wrong.

Change is hard. Real change much harder.

Edmonton while improving is still suffering the effects of a pathetic scouting staff.

The verdict is still out on our new staff but look back from that draft and tell me our best defenseman WE drafted.. it's sad... very sad.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Barry Fraser had mailed it in by that point. He moved to Mexico in the late 80s and "scouted" by watching tapes people had sent him of prospects.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Barry Fraser had mailed it in by that point. He moved to Mexico in the late 80s and "scouted" by watching tapes people had sent him of prospects.

Edmonton's drafting was horrible from the early 80's until Fraser got fired. Then it became just kind of bad until 2008. Our drafting has really improved under Macgregor. If it wasn't for Fraser getting extremely lucky his first 3 drafts he probably would have been fired in the late 80's.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Huh? Any draft that has Jagr and Brodeur cant be considered one of the worst. Many more productive NHLers came out of that draft. If you dont know what youre talking about dont act like you do to get your post count up.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1990e.html

I stand corrected I got it mixed up with another draft year that I read about before. Cool your jets

EDIT: it was '99 I was thinking of, I got them mixed up cause I;ve been dog tired n staying awake all night at work.

Last edited:

Evil Ernie

Nov 2, 2011
Huh? Any draft that has Jagr and Brodeur cant be considered one of the worst. Many more productive NHLers came out of that draft. If you dont know what youre talking about dont act like you do to get your post count up.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1990e.html

Lol. Looking at that list it looks like one of the BEST drafts of all time.

Look at the top 30 alone. 11 players around 1000 games played, 1 700 goal scorer, 1 500 goal scorer, Brodeur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad