Which team would come out on top?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Lidstrom won more Norris trophies after 2005 than before, and did you see Pronger from 2005-2011 in the regular season and playoffs? Complete dominance, on 3 different teams.

Nick Lidstrom, who was born in 1970 and played his last game in 2012 is on the same team as Connor McDavid, who was born in 1997 and played his first NHL game in 2015. Rather than a team full of players he played no less than 9 years with, several as teammates. I mean, Lidstrom and Fedorov were taken 21 picks apart by Detroit in the 1989 draft, and were teammates for 13 seasons.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
From 1990-2004? Gretzky wasn't at his absolute best. I think it would be far closer than people would imagine.

Gretzky 1990 is *far* better than anyone on the other team even if not at his own absolute best. Also for a playoff run thats debatable as he did great in 1993.

You also have Lemieux.

And Roy (best playoff goalie ever) and Hasek (best peak goalie ever) are also very attractive.

Its honestly hard to even look past those 4 and consider rest of roster.

Maybe if you take out 99 and 66 it would be closer.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Nick Lidstrom, who was born in 1970 and played his last game in 2012 is on the same team as Connor McDavid, who was born in 1997 and played his first NHL game in 2015. Rather than a team full of players he played no less than 9 years with, several as teammates. I mean, Lidstrom and Fedorov were taken 21 picks apart by Detroit in the 1989 draft, and were teammates for 13 seasons.

It still doesn't change that 4 of his 7 best seasons were after 2005... what does it matter if he played with McDavid or not? Over a 14 year period concerning prime play only there will be a few players who didn't play together at the same time, I'm not sure why that matters in this fictional scenario. If I were to have Lidstrom on the other team there wouldn't have been a point in making this, heck as it stands it's the biggest blowout I've seen on here, which was to be expected even if it isn't an accurate depiction of what would really take place on the ice.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
All players at their best? So is Gretzky at his absolute best or his best after 1990?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I disagree with the defense part, and the forwards and peak versions of those goalies are extremely close.

The older defence has the best defenceman while the younger group has at least three of the bottom four defencemen from the two teams. The best peak goaltender included is comfortably Hasek, and the second best is Roy. Forwards are obviously better on the older team, peak and otherwise. Even in a case like Gretzky's where he is post peak, 1990-1991 Gretzky still beats any forward on the newer team, and he's clearly below early 90s Lemieux. The teams have most of the correct players but one era was stronger than the other.

It still doesn't change that 4 of his 7 best seasons were after 2005... what does it matter if he played with McDavid or not? Over a 14 year period concerning prime play only there will be a few players who didn't play together at the same time, I'm not sure why that matters in this fictional scenario. If I were to have Lidstrom on the other team there wouldn't have been a point in making this, heck as it stands it's the biggest blowout I've seen on here, which was to be expected even if it isn't an accurate depiction of what would really take place on the ice.

If all things were equal Lidstrom probably does belong on the older team, but for the sake of balance he is better off on the newer team. He definitely did not have four of the seven best seasons in the post 2005 era though. If you are just counting Norris trophies then you'll miss that Lidstrom had several non-Norris years better than his 2011 Norris winning season.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Wonder why Forsberg is on second line while better players are further down the lineup...

Lidstrom and Jagr belong on team 90s. It’s not even close, 90s wins hands down.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Gretzky 1990 is *far* better than anyone on the other team even if not at his own absolute best. Also for a playoff run thats debatable as he did great in 1993.

You also have Lemieux.

And Roy (best playoff goalie ever) and Hasek (best peak goalie ever) are also very attractive.

Its honestly hard to even look past those 4 and consider rest of roster.

Maybe if you take out 99 and 66 it would be closer.
90s-era Gretzky is not "far better" than peak Crosby or Ovechkin. Better? Maybe. Far better? No.

80s-era Gretzky, however, was substantially better.

Reactions: authentic

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
When a team has Gretzky+Lemieux, the only way a comparison is fair if the other team has Orr+Howe.

If Gretzky and Lemieux are removed it would be worth a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad