1988 Stanley Cup Finals

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Habs fan in peace. I was just thinking back to 1988 when the Bruins were playing Edmonton in the SCFs. I am wondering why they didn't replay game 4 in Boston. I am not sure of what the rules are in that situation since...well that's just pretty rare.... but shouldn't that game have been on your ice?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Habs fan in peace. I was just thinking back to 1988 when the Bruins were playing Edmonton in the SCFs. I am wondering why they didn't replay game 4 in Boston. I am not sure of what the rules are in that situation since...well that's just pretty rare.... but shouldn't that game have been on your ice?

Bad memories, wouldn`t have mattered, NOBODY was beating that Oilers dynasty.

I recall only one Cup final, and that`s 2010/11:yo:

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Bad memories, wouldn`t have mattered, NOBODY was beating that Oilers dynasty.

I recall only one Cup final, and that`s 2010/11:yo:

Yeah, nonetheless, I was just wondering why it was done that way, and if there was ever any explanation given. It just seems like the Bruins should have still had their home ice when replaying the game.

acr*

As per whatever rules they were using, that game would've been tacked on to the end of the series, and the rest of the series went on as scheduled.

So the game the Bruins eventually lost in was technically what would've been game 5, and if the series were tied 3-3, Game 4 would've been replayed as the game 7.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
As per whatever rules they were using, that game would've been tacked on to the end of the series, and the rest of the series went on as scheduled.

Ah, so that's how they did it. It's kind of funny thinking back. Those two finals against Edmonton were two years apart and they both had power outages.

Bruins had a good team then, too. Cam Neely, Bourque, Burridge, Sweeney.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
Yeah still remember Ziegler reading the rule to the press and thinking "this makes absolutely no sense"...

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Another thing I'm trying to remember is who scored the overtime goal against us in game 7 in the 91 series. For some reason I am thinking either Randy Burridge or Glen Wesley. I tried googling it, but I can't find it. I was pretty young then. I remember I was so pissed off that I went through my hockey cards and tore up that player's card. :laugh:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Yeah, nonetheless, I was just wondering why it was done that way, and if there was ever any explanation given. It just seems like the Bruins should have still had their home ice when replaying the game.

Are you talking about the power failure at the Garden? I remember it well. Guessing it was the rule back then, and a fairly arcane one at that. That's the only thing I can think of.

Can you imagine Sinden going along with the decision otherwise? :laugh: '88 was the B's breakout year against MTL. As pathetic as it sounds, that was our Cup back in the day. I think that was also the year Bob Beers went down with an injury in the playoffs, too.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Ah, so that's how they did it. It's kind of funny thinking back. Those two finals against Edmonton were two years apart and they both had power outages.

Bruins had a good team then, too. Cam Neely, Bourque, Burridge, Sweeney.

That was also the year of Schoenfeld's infamous "Have another doughnut, you fat pig" line. Good times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXpcb5aTnPk

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Are you talking about the power failure at the Garden? I remember it well. Guessing it was the rule back then, and a fairly arcane one at that. That's the only thing I can think of.

Can you imagine Sinden going along with the decision otherwise? :laugh: '88 was the B's breakout year against MTL. As pathetic as it sounds, that was our Cup back in the day. I think that was also the year Bob Beers went down with an injury in the playoffs, too.

Yeah, tacking the game on at the end of the series seems like a funny way to do it.

Pathetic? Making the second round has become our cup.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Another thing I'm trying to remember is who scored the overtime goal against us in game 7 in the 91 series. For some reason I am thinking either Randy Burridge or Glen Wesley. I tried googling it, but I can't find it. I was pretty young then. I remember I was so pissed off that I went through my hockey cards and tore up that player's card. :laugh:

Boston won Game 7 by a 2-1 score but it was not an OT game.

Game 1 ( in Boston ) Boston won 2-1
Game 2 ( in Boston ) Montreal won 4-3 ( OT )
Game 3 ( in Montreal ) Boston won 3-2
Game 4 ( in Montreal ) Montreal won 6-2
Game 5 ( in Boston ) Boston won 4-1
Game 6 ( in Montreal ) Montreal won 3-2 ( OT )
Game 7 ( in Boston ) Boston won 2-1

Cam Neely and Dave Christian scored for Boston in Game 7 while Stephan Lebeau scored for Montreal.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
To answer the original post, I believe the Garden was booked for an event that lasted several days... circus, maybe???

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised it that's the case. Any other owner would have
found a way to re-schedule the ****** circus but not that original hockey fan and lover of the game: Jeremy Jacobs.
BTW, the year that Bob Beers' broke his leg was 1990.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised it that's the case. Any other owner would have
found a way to re-schedule the ****** circus but not that original hockey fan and lover of the game: Jeremy Jacobs.
BTW, the year that Bob Beers' broke his leg was 1990.

Yes, I remember when the circus came to town, which meant an early season road trip.

Per Bob Beers injury, I do tend to conflate '88 with '90, because both were against the Oil. I just remember Fred saying, "Bob Beers. He's no spare part." He *still* isn't.

Doubtless messing up my facts again, but believe Brick was a member of the '88 Devils.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007

I guess my memory isn't that good. I don't know what I am remembering. For some reason though I remember ripping up either Burridge's or Wesley's hockey card in a fit of rage. I was just a kid and used to get really upset, especially when we lost to the Bruins. It was particularly horrible for me cuz my dad was a Bruins fan, and he used to torment me like crazy when we got eliminated by you guys. Good times.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

I guess my memory isn't that good. I don't know what I am remembering. For some reason though I remember ripping up either Burridge's or Wesley's hockey card in a fit of rage. I was just a kid and used to get really upset, especially when we lost to the Bruins. It was particularly horrible for me cuz my dad was a Bruins fan, and he used to torment me like crazy when we got eliminated by you guys. Good times.

You and I are complete opposites then. I grew up near Montreal and as a Bruin fan I was constantly tormented by my family and friends all of who cheered for Montreal. What made it even worse was it seemed like Montreal beating Boston in the Playoffs was an annual event. :(

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
You and I are complete opposites then. I grew up near Montreal and as a Bruin fan I was constantly tormented by my family and friends all of who cheered for Montreal. What made it even worse was it seemed like Montreal beating Boston in the Playoffs was an annual event. :(

That was pretty much all history when I started watching. I was a kid in the 80s/90s. I remember the Bruins eliminating us 3 years in a row. After we won in 93 my father never hesitated to point out that we avoided you guys in the playoffs that year.

The Bruins of that era didn't win a cup but they had two appearances in the SCF, and they were a really good team. Just happened that Edmonton was basically an all-star team.

But yeah, our situations were not polar opposites. I grew up in the Maritimes. So there was more of a mix with regard to what teams people cheered for. Obviously, Habs and Leafs were still the most popular teams, but Boston was always a popular third choice. And with Lemieux and Gretzky on the scene cheering for Pittsburgh and Edmonton was in style. I absolutely hated Edmonton, then. I remember Edmonton fans at school becoming LA Kings fans overnight when Gretz was traded only to cheer for Edmonton again when they made the finals without him. I cheered for you guys in 90.

Last edited:

choccy

Sep 17, 2010
London UK
Ah, sad days were those finals. I was gutted as we had such a good team, but were totally outplayed by the Oilers.

Ironically enough, the one game we looked at being in it, was the black out. I always thought it was a fix, but clearly the garden was just showing her age.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
What's funny is that the Oilers weren't happy about the situation neither.

Story goes that the Oilers had won all 3 of their prior Cups in Edmonton. Gretzky and all them were determined to win this on the road in game 4 so they could avoid the complete zoo that would come with winning it at home again. And then the power outage happens, and they end up back in Edmonton anyway.

I believe this tale was related on the Ultimate Gretzky DVD, but I think I've seen it in other places as well.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

yeah. im pretty sure neely scored from center ince in that game 7 in 1991. not sure though. i also think that was the game when corson crosschecked bourque in the neck towards the end of the game.

in 1990 i know burridge and wesley had the goals in the deciding game 2-1 win.
i think burridges goal was a shorty?

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007

OK, that must have been the game I remember.

For some reason I thought that was in the seven game series.

Last edited:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
yeah. im pretty sure neely scored from center ince in that game 7 in 1991. not sure though. i also think that was the game when corson crosschecked bourque in the neck towards the end of the game.

DarrenBanks56 is right so andy28's memory isn't that bad afterall. :laugh: In the 1989-90 season Boston beat Montreal 4-1 in the Adams Division Final.

Game 1 ( in Boston ) Boston won 1-0
Game 2 ( in Boston ) Boston won 5-4
Game 3 ( in Montreal ) Boston won 6-3
Game 4 ( in Montreal ) Montreal won 4-1
Game 5 ( in Boston ) Boston won 3-1

Randy Burridge, Glen Wesley and Cam Neely scored for Boston in Game 5 while Stephan Lebeau scored for Montreal.

For future reference www.sports-reference.com/ is a great site for looking up stuff like this. My one complaint is that I really wish they included the boxscores for old NHL games like they do for MLB.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
DarrenBanks56 is right so andy28's memory isn't that bad afterall. :laugh: In the 1989-90 season Boston beat Montreal 4-1 in the Adams Division Final.

Game 1 ( in Boston ) Boston won 1-0
Game 2 ( in Boston ) Boston won 5-4
Game 3 ( in Montreal ) Boston won 6-3
Game 4 ( in Montreal ) Montreal won 4-1
Game 5 ( in Boston ) Boston won 3-1

Randy Burridge, Glen Wesley and Cam Neely scored for Boston in Game 5 while Stephan Lebeau scored for Montreal.

For future reference www.sports-reference.com/ is a great site for looking up stuff like this. My one complaint is that I really wish they included the boxscores for old NHL games like they do for MLB.

thats right,. i forgot neely had an empty netter in that game. I just remember wesley scoring with like a minute left in the game.

i have something what i call boston bruins or NHL long term memory. I can usually rememebr anything about a game or what i was doing during a gameday for the Bruins since ive been watching them. But, I usually forget what i did last nite.

I also can remember any number sequence or license plate if i can look at it for about 5 seconds. i just relate the numbers to Bruins or nhl players jersey numbers, and if there are letters i try and come up with players inititials.

example. i saw plate 2 years ago that read 7392 CI i always remember it because i remember it as ryder nylander center ice. im sick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad