1988-1989 Hart Memorial Trophy

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
And you know this how?

Were you in "Being Wayne Gretzky"?
When you see something over and over and over again, you begin to accept it is not luck. Gretzky's obscene number of secondary assists (he had over 50 in 1985-86) seem to be indicative of intentional offense to a rather absurd degree.

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
And you know this how?

Were you in "Being Wayne Gretzky"?
I apologize Dennis Bonvie. Some new evidence has come to the forefront. It should answer your (our) questions, but I will warn you: It seems as though our worst fears have come true....

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Interesting article on the 88-89 hart trophy

http://www.lcshockey.com/content/062315hart.asp

It's a good read. Check it out

GuineaPig

Jul 11, 2011
Montréal
It's certainly melodramatic, but it brings up some interesting points. The constantly changing definition of the Hart is pretty frustrating to me in general as well.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
It's interesting though. You have a 23 year old lemieux vs a 27 year old gretzky. Both in their prime and both on teams that are by no means stacked. Both teams haven't made the playoffs in years. And lemieux outscores him by 31 points? Is it a coincidence? That's the one season where both were fully healthy and in their prime and where the teams were a wash. Interesting

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
It's certainly melodramatic, but it brings up some interesting points. The constantly changing definition of the Hart is pretty frustrating to me in general as well.

That part I agree with.

For example, Doug Gilmour was much more important to the 1993 Leafs than Mario Lemieux was to the stacked 1993 Penguins... but in that case they went with "best player".

It's interesting though. You have a 23 year old lemieux vs a 27 year old gretzky. Both in their prime and both on teams that are by no means stacked. Both teams haven't made the playoffs in years. And lemieux outscores him by 31 points? Is it a coincidence? That's the one season where both were fully healthy and in their prime and where the teams were a wash. Interesting

The teams were not a wash.

For example, as in all of Lemieux's huge seasons, he had a ton of extra PP opportunities.. almost 100 more than Gretzky's Kings that year. And no it wasn't because of Lemieux drawing them as far as anyone can tell.

Not to mention Paul Coffey and the Pens completely wide open style of play where they traded chances and then tried to win on the PP.

Last edited:

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Good post above.

Also not mentioned is Gretzky walked onto a team 4th worst in the NHL in a new city with a new coach and took them to 4th overall in 88-89 and then unceremoniously dethroned his own Oiler team in the playoffs.

Lemiuex had been with the same group of guys for 4 years and this was his 5th year.

Trying to convince the Mario apologists that they are insane in their belief their hero was better than Gretzky is akin to talking to a brick wall. They dont care.

They dont care that Mario never broke a single record of Gretzkys. Nor that Wayne had his number retired by the whole league, not just one team.

Im telling you, they dont care. They use 'Confirmation bias' to seek out caveats to spin the numbers to tell a tale that they want to believe.

Its a waste of time.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
That part I agree with.

For example, Doug Gilmour was much more important to the 1993 Leafs than Mario Lemieux was to the stacked 1993 Penguins... but in that case they went with "best player".

The teams were not a wash.

For example, as in all of Lemieux's huge seasons, he had a ton of extra PP opportunities.. almost 100 more than Gretzky's Kings that year. And no it wasn't because of Lemieux drawing them as far as anyone can tell.

Not to mention Paul Coffey and the Pens completely wide open style of play where they traded chances and then tried to win on the PP.

In no way shape or form were the 89 pens a powerhouse though. It was lemieux and Coffey. That year was the closest lemieux and gretzky ever had to being on even terms in their primes

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
For f***'s sakes, not this thread again?

Look, I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I personally would have voted for Mario in 1989, BUT Gretzky's winning is entirely legit and can't be argued with. Everyone saying otherwise wasn't there at the time and isn't looking at the contemporary context.

Penguins in 1988: 81 points (4th offense), 12th overall
Penguins in 1989: 87 points (3rd offense), 6th overall

Kings in 1988: 68 points (5th offense), 18th overall
Kings in 1989: 91 points (1st offense), 4th overall

Yes, the Pens made the playoffs (finally), but Mario had already put up Gretzky-like numbers the season before and they'd missed the playoffs... for the fourth year in a row with Mario. Voters weren't going to be hugely impressed by another similar season with marginal team improvement (6 points more on the season). The previous year, in their zest to de-throne Gretzky from Hart domination, voters jumped on Mario, and his team missed the playoffs on the last night of the regular season. While the Pens did noticeably improve in 1989, it wasn't by any great amount.

The Kings improved a remarkable 23 points in one season, with the same coach and team-captain as the year before... Hmm, wonder why? They finished ahead of Edmonton, the team Gretzky had just left.

Before flaming me for my Gretzky-bias, Mario-lovers, please re-read what I wrote above: "I personally would have voted for Mario"... but it's entirely reasonable that Gretzky won this. That's just all there is to it. Now, get over it.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Can I just add one more thing? Everyone who wonders why Gretzky's raw point-totals began to (slightly) decline in L.A., and is arguing that "finally, Mario and Wayne had equal teammates" is deluding themselves.

(For one thing, the Pens in '89 had Paul Coffey on the P.P. and the 2nd-most 25-goal scorers in NHL history, but that's besides the point.)

The larger point here is: GRETZKY WAS TRADED. Do you understand how hard it is to leave a dynasty-team at 27 and join a bottom feeder? Never mind that, but just being traded in general... find me another 1st-year player on a team who scored more than 125 points (let alone 168)? You can't, because it's never happened in NHL history. Do you really think Mario would have scored 199 points if he'd been traded to Vancouver or New Jersey in summer, 1988?

Mario circa 1987 to 1996 was an unstoppable force, the 2nd-greatest offensive player in history. But Gretzky's Hart in 1989 is entirely deserved, even if Mario would have been just as deserving a winner.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The teams were not really a wash, at least not at the top. One of them had Coffey.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Can I just add one more thing? Everyone who wonders why Gretzky's raw point-totals began to (slightly) decline in L.A., and is arguing that "finally, Mario and Wayne had equal teammates" is deluding themselves.

(For one thing, the Pens in '89 had Paul Coffey on the P.P. and the 2nd-most 25-goal scorers in NHL history, but that's besides the point.)

The larger point here is: GRETZKY WAS TRADED. Do you understand how hard it is to leave a dynasty-team at 27 and join a bottom feeder? Never mind that, but just being traded in general... find me another 1st-year player on a team who scored more than 125 points (let alone 168)? You can't, because it's never happened in NHL history. Do you really think Mario would have scored 199 points if he'd been traded to Vancouver or New Jersey in summer, 1988?

Mario circa 1987 to 1996 was an unstoppable force, the 2nd-greatest offensive player in history. But Gretzky's Hart in 1989 is entirely deserved, even if Mario would have been just as deserving a winner.

No. He was BOUGHT.

How would much would 1988-89 Pens have improved from 1987-88 if they added a second Lemieux to their team for free? That would be a better comparison for improvement.

And do you really think Lemieux could not have topped 168 points that year after moving, for free, to the LA Kings instead of Gretzky?

Lemiux was the better player that year, plain and simple.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
No. He was BOUGHT.
Irrelevant. The point is, he had to start anew on a totally new team -- a much weaker one, at that. (Did you really miss this point...?)

However falsely designed a 'trade' it was, the fact remains that the Kings lost their #1 center (Carson), whom Gretzky had to replace (and vice-versa). It wasn't like Wayne joined a team that had lost nothing.
How would much would 1988-89 Pens have improved from 1987-88 if they added a second Lemieux to their team for free? That would be a better comparison for improvement.
See above -- the Kings lost their #1 center in the "trade".

Also, you do indeed seem to be missing the key point -- Gretzky went to a NEW team. New teammates. New coach (his first ever new coach in the NHL, and one he didn't get along with). New city. New fans, new expectations, new everything. You can't put two Mario Lemieuxs on the Penguins and say it's the same thing...
And do you really think Lemieux could not have topped 168 points that year after moving, for free, to the LA Kings instead of Gretzky?
I don't know where you're getting this from, as I said nothing on this subject. But since you ask -- I doubt he would have been able to score much more than that, and possibly less. In addition to all the transitions to a new team, new coach, new system, etc., Lemieux would have had west-coast travel for the first time in his life. He also would have had 1 less power-play opportunity every game.
Lemiux was the better player that year, plain and simple.
I agree, but that's only marginally relevant to this topic. The Hart Trophy is NOT for "best player".

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
http://www.lcshockey.com/content/062315hart.asp

It's a good read. Check it out

Maybe it's just me, but I thought that article was horribly biased. Granted, I'm a Gretzky fan, so I'm biased myself. But ya... it wasn't even close to being fair or impartial.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
At the top lemieux led his team by 85 points while gretzky only 18.

What?

In his first 200 point season Gretzky lead his team in scoring by 107 points.

In his highest scoring season (215) he lead his team by 77 and a young Mario Lemieux who was second in the league by 74.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
What?

In his first 200 point season Gretzky lead his team in scoring by 107 points.

In his highest scoring season (215) he lead his team by 77 and a young Mario Lemieux who was second in the league by 74.

Were taking about 1989. Not 82 or 86. Lemieux dominated his teams scoring race by 85 and gretzky only 18. Lemieux was in on 57% of his teams offence still an nhl record

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Were taking about 1989. Not 82 or 86. Lemieux dominated his teams scoring race by 85 and gretzky only 18. Lemieux was in on 57% of his teams offence still an nhl record

Ok so what you are saying is that in Lemieux's best season he scored more than Gretzky in his 7th highest scoring season.. so what?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad