Classic with Video 1987 WJHC Canada vs Soviet Union Brawl

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch-up_in_Piestany

The brawl was violent at times. Mike Keane paired off against Valeri Zelepukin, with the Canadian "fighting like it was for the world title" according to Fleury.[27] In another fight, Vladimir Konstantinov leveled a head-butt that broke Greg Hawgood's nose. Brendan Shanahan later described it as "the greatest head-butt I've ever seen."[28] Stephane Roy was pummeled by two Soviet players.[29] The remaining players paired off as the officials attempted to break up the fighting. The players were involved in at least a dozen separate fights over the entire ice surface.[30]

Among the Canadians, only two players were not suspended: Jimmy Waite and Pierre Turgeon.[43] Waite felt he could not risk being ejected for fighting under the belief that the game would resume, and that the Canadian backup goaltender, Shawn Simpson, was injured.[44] Steve Nemeth would later apply for early reinstatement arguing that he was not fighting, but trying to help break the players apart.[45] Many of their teammates never forgave Waite and Turgeon for failing to defend their teammates. In the words of Everett Sanipass: "I'm looking for someone to help (Stephane) Roy out and I look over at the bench. There's this dog Turgeon, just sitting there, with his head down. He wouldn't get his ass off the bench ... just sitting there when everyone's off the Soviet bench and at least one of our guys is in real trouble getting double-teamed."[46]

Also once the lights turned out Fleury went crazy with this stick, hacking any Russian who got near him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad