1986 and 1988 Islanders

Nylanders

Sep 17, 2014
How far could they have gone had they managed to get out of the first round?

One consistent theme of the post-Dynasty Islanders is being beaten by the Flyers in the second round (as happened in 1985 and 1987), but in 86 and 88 the Flyers went out in the first round. Sadly though so did the Islanders. So had they manged to get pass the Caps in 86 and Devils in 88 how far do they go? I know these weren't Cup winning teams, but it would have been nice to see Arbour's first stint and Potvin's career end on better notes than they did.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Nowhere in 1986. The Caps outscored them 10-4. It's not like they lost a hard fought series, or there were any nail-biter games. They got clobbered and couldn't score or stop goals. No matter how many no-name skaters were in the Rangers lineup, Vanbiesbrouck would likely have been the MVP of any Isles-Rangers matchup.

1988 would have been a coin flip. All 4 teams were fairly evenly matched, even if Washington largely has the same tools that they had in 1986 when they clobbered the Isles. I think Boston is still winning any matchup in Round 3 though.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I think the 1986 team could have very well gone on to the CF' but the 1988 team was a paper tiger in a weak division. I dont think they would have gotten out of the 1st round vs any team, including the Pens or Rangers if they made it.

The fact that they missed the playoffs in three of the next four seasons, and were out in five games in the only playoff season in that period shows it was a decaying team.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
I think the 1986 team could have very well gone on to the CF' but the 1988 team was a paper tiger in a weak division. I dont think they would have gotten out of the 1st round vs any team, including the Pens or Rangers if they made it.

The fact that they missed the playoffs in three of the next four seasons, and were out in five games in the only playoff season in that period shows it was a decaying team.

Very true. I personally don't think they were Cup caliber in '86 either. Too much tread on those tires. Bourne and Gillies were let go that summer and Al Arbour retired (for the first time).

A page was turned.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
They run into Patrick Roy in 1986. He's hot this year and Montreal had a solid but not spectacular team. Yet still solid and had lots of experience from a dynasty themselves (Robinson, Gainey). The Islanders won 19 straight series up until losing to Edmonton in 1984. I don't think people realize the strain that takes on a team and a player. Trottier wasn't the same player anymore in 1986 and while Bossy had 123 points that year, I think that depth that was popular with them before was deteriorated. Tonelli was gone to Calgary by then. He was a guy who always seemed to step up when they needed him, he gave excellent support to the big 3.

1988 it's much of the same thing. Boston beats them eventually. And Boston got swept convincingly by the Oilers. The Islanders just simply didn't have the horses anymore. Billy Smith was replaced by Hrudey by now. Bossy was retired. Yeah, it really didn't matter they weren't Cup contenders anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad