197oa Ville Rasanen D/Jukurit FEL

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
MacDonald described him as an under the radar defenseman. “He’s a great skater. Tremendous, explosive, a player that will put up big numbers. We hope we got a steal with [Rasanen] in the seventh round like we did with Frederik Andersen the year we drafted him.â€

Sounds very intriguing.

Reactions: Unsustainable

LoveNHL

Jun 15, 2015
Sweden
This is the steal of this draft. Not very flashy but great skater with offensive skills. He is the kind of defence men needed in the future.

Reactions: Unsustainable

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
This is the steal of this draft. Not very flashy but great skater with offensive skills. He is the kind of defence men needed in the future.

You might be right. MacDonald alluded to Kron/Pitkanen pounding the table for this guy.
Good thing as the D prospect pool was getting thin. Bean and Carroll were all we had below the Pro level. Added 3 more yesterday including Martin whose game translates very well to being a solid 5/6 guy at the NHL level.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Any word on whether Rasanen will be in the AHL next year? He is AHL eligible and will turn 20 years old at start of season. Last season split time between Liiga (top senior Finnish league) and top Finnish Jr U20 league.

He's under some kind of option for next season? If so, he can't ditch the contract to sign a pure AHL one.

As for Canes, he hasn't been signed on ELC yet and thusly he isn't under Canes control for them to send him to AHL or anywhere.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Also I don't think AHL eligibility is a factor unless you're from CHL. Finnboy playing in the old country is eligible at 18, but if he's under a IIHF league contract and gets signed on ELC, the NHL/IIHF transfer agreement may play a hiccup because the IIHF team has the right to get the player back if he's under ~20 y.o. not-first-round draftee and gets sent to AHL.

That prolly wouldn't concern Rasanen though as he's can't be Entry-level Slide eligible him being a late birthday guy turning 20 this year.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
That’s what I’m asking, EP says his contract is 17/18 only but notes “+1” beside that. Wonder what kind of option that is and whether he has any out clause.

Probably team option. They have annoying way saying 1+1 year contract without saying who exactly got the option.

But there's the IIHF-wide NHL clause; if he signs an NHL SPC, then that supersedes (but doesn't void) the IIHF team one.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think management is perfectly content to let him develop in Finland until they feel he's ready to make the move over to the AHL, they've shown a lot of patience with Euro and NCAA guys that they get to hold on to for longer and it's paying off a decent bit (Slavin, Pesce, Aho so far), I get the feeling that's one of the aspects that Francis was doing that Waddell's going to keep.

I can see him being signed after this coming season, in part because we're already at 42 contracts, have 3 more RFAs to sign, need to add a goalie to pair with Ned in Charlotte still, and probably add more defensive depth in Charlotte which would put us around 47-48 contracts.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I think management is perfectly content to let him develop in Finland until they feel he's ready to make the move over to the AHL, they've shown a lot of patience with Euro and NCAA guys that they get to hold on to for longer and it's paying off a decent bit (Slavin, Pesce, Aho so far), I get the feeling that's one of the aspects that Francis was doing that Waddell's going to keep.

I can see him being signed after this coming season, in part because we're already at 42 contracts, have 3 more RFAs to sign, need to add a goalie to pair with Ned in Charlotte still, and probably add more defensive depth in Charlotte which would put us around 47-48 contracts.

You don’t think Booth has earned a spot in Charlotte this coming year? Ned has been there long enough now he can be the experienced guy. Helvig can go to Florida.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
If we happen to get a high end AHLer in one of our remaining possible trades, and Darling and Mrazek take the NHL jobs, I could see a scenario where that prospect and Ned are in Charlotte and Booth is down again or loaned somewhere. But we'll see if that type of move is in the cards. Otherwise, I'd agree that it'll likely be Booth.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
If we happen to get a high end AHLer in one of our remaining possible trades, and Darling and Mrazek take the NHL jobs, I could see a scenario where that prospect and Ned are in Charlotte and Booth is down again or loaned somewhere. But we'll see if that type of move is in the cards. Otherwise, I'd agree that it'll likely be Booth.
You're forgetting about Helvig. I actually think he has the highest ceiling of all of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad