1972 Summit Series: alternative video footage from Moscow

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Don't know if any of you have seen this footage before, I know I haven't. It's from the Moscow leg of the 1972 Summit Series and includes close-ups of on-ice action as well as both benches.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Very interesting find. Obviously a Soviet cameraman with close/open access to the action. Certainly portrays the Canadians as brawlers, cheap shot artists and ya, an awful lot of that going down. Wasnt pretty. TC underestimated their opponents, members arriving for camp out of shape, caught flat footed & exhausted quickly, resorting to the great equalizer; lay on the body, lay on the stick, goon it up..... Love the circa 1950's Burlesque Music, very fitting, and that little parody near the end of kids playing, fight breaks out.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Very interesting find. Obviously a Soviet cameraman with close/open access to the action. Certainly portrays the Canadians as brawlers, cheap shot artists and ya, an awful lot of that going down.

For sure. No doubt he could have highlighted some dirty stuff by the Soviets too, but clearly not on the agenda. That said, I'm more inclined to take this as a rather genuine expression of European bafflement at the NHLers' attitude than as a propaganda piece.
The easy-going background music, the funny demonstration of how Canadian players get used to fighting from a very early age on: no Cold War atmosphere really, nothing of a serious "our way of life against their way" attitude. Just a clash of two alien hockey cultures: the Canadian physicality, the brash arguing with the referee, the willingness to drop the glove – outrageous for European eyes from Stockholm to Moscow. But brought onto screen in a surprisingly light-hearted way.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad