OT: 1966 Stanley Cup parade pictures

MaxChart

Nov 7, 2010
Montréal
La Ville de Montréal added those to flickr.

Pretty cool.

parade-coupe-stanley-1966-600x396.jpg

montrea-canadiens-stanley-cup-parade-600x378.jpg

stanley-cup-parade-canadiens-600x396.jpg

(thanks to 25stanley for the thumbs)

There is a bunch of others here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/archivesmontreal/sets/72157632536665533/

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Man do I ever wish I was alive in the 50's and 60's and not just for the Habs dynasties. Everything was nice and shiny and well made. People took the time to build durable and esthetically pleasing things (yes things, everything from cars to stoves to posters, everything!).

Thanks for the pics, these are sweet !

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
Yeah, but society was also very repressed and stuff. I mean, I don't think women could go into bars in Quebec in those days. That's insane.

Plus have fun if you're gay, or black, or Jewish. And if you're francophone, having fun making about 70 percent of what an anglophone made for the same job.

That said, it's pretty nice to see a group of people who love a hockey team but don't feel the need to wear every piece of stupid clothing with a CH on it that they own. It's pretty amazing to watch old games from the 80s and see hardly a soul in a Habs jersey. I have a jersey myself, but hey Therrien's not going to ask you to jump over the boards, sport.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Brings back memories, the year before Expo 67, Metro almost completed, jackets and ties mandatory in high school...boy I'm old.:laugh:

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Yeah, but society was also very repressed and stuff. I mean, I don't think women could go into bars in Quebec in those days. That's insane.

Plus have fun if you're gay, or black, or Jewish. And if you're francophone, having fun making about 70 percent of what an anglophone made for the same job.

That said, it's pretty nice to see a group of people who love a hockey team but don't feel the need to wear every piece of stupid clothing with a CH on it that they own. It's pretty amazing to watch old games from the 80s and see hardly a soul in a Habs jersey. I have a jersey myself, but hey Therrien's not going to ask you to jump over the boards, sport.

Plus NO advertisements on the ice or boards...just clean white surfaces. It really highlights how commercialized hockey/all sports have become in the last few decades.

PS, who's the guy sitting next to Henri Richard in the first photo, he looks like one of those fake 1950s mobsters from Dick Tracy or something...

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island

That was Taverns where there were no women, and it was great. Draft beer was 20 cents a glass. The good old days.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
That was Taverns where there were no women, and it was great. Draft beer was 20 cents a glass. The good old days.
Is there a difference? I thought that was just a Montrealism, like a dep/depanneur for what us Cali folks call the corner store/liquor store.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
La Ville de Montréal added those to flickr.

Pretty cool.

parade-coupe-stanley-1966-600x396.jpg

montrea-canadiens-stanley-cup-parade-600x378.jpg

stanley-cup-parade-canadiens-600x396.jpg

(thanks to 25stanley for the thumbs)

There is a bunch of others here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/archivesmontreal/sets/72157632536665533/

Henri Richard & Claude Provost in pic#1

Big Jean and... is that Dick Duff? Really not sure.

Wow. I started watching hockey a couple of years later, around 1969, so I remember (vaguely) most of the guys from that era. But it looks like a totally different city, which I guess it was.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Is there a difference? I thought that was just a Montrealism, like a dep/depanneur for what us Cali folks call the corner store/liquor store.

Taverns were like hangouts for men only and they only served beer and cheap food. Women were not allowed in. Later they were changed to brasseries and were mixed, thus ended a great tradition. Hockey players often were owners. Toe Blake Tavern was a great hangout where you could meet some players. Henri also owned one.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Taverns were like hangouts for men only and they only served beer and cheap food. Women were not allowed in. Later they were changed to brasseries and were mixed, thus ended a great tradition. Hockey players often were owners. Toe Blake Tavern was a great hangout where you could meet some players. Henri also owned one.

And that's when we were blessed with the famous: «Bienvenue aux dames!»

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Gays make up 1 percent of soceity check stats canada I thought this was not a political web site I thought all political sides were welcome.Lets talk about the catholic churches which were attacked by gay mobs in Montreal in 2007-08.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
My statement is by no means meant to attack gays on this site or anywhere just meant there 2 sides of discrimination.So I'm sorry for any hurt feelings

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London

Beer and cheap food...so it sounds what we call bars in America.

Obviously there were clubs and cocktail lounges that allowed both sexes, but what's the difference between a bar and a tavern? Were there both? I was under the impression what we in America would call your corner bar or a pub in England was men-only until 30 years ago or so.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Beer and cheap food...so it sounds what we call bars in America.

Obviously there were clubs and cocktail lounges that allowed both sexes, but what's the difference between a bar and a tavern? Were there both? I was under the impression what we in America would call your corner bar or a pub in England was men-only until 30 years ago or so.

As I mentioned, Taverns served only beer, draft or bottled, no liquor or wine. They looked like large kitchens, brightly lit with tile floors and wooden chairs. I never saw the equivalent anywhere else. They also had frosted glass tiles as windows so the wives couldn't peek in and spot their husbands.:laugh:

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Jean Beliveau....class on the ice and off of it....what a fine gentlemen he is ....and the Pocket Rocket looks great here also!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad