1965-1966 Soviet League

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
The 1973-74 season would be the most interesting to me.

It was amazingly bad season for CSKA by their standards; still the 2nd in the league, but 11 points (!) behind the champion Krylya Sov(y)etov, and with 10 losses. Noticeably the top line (Mikhailov-Petrov-Kharlamov) had a really weak season; none of them was a top 5 scorer, and their PPGAs were either around 1 or even under (Mikhailov). That was probably what mainly sunk the team. I wonder what the matter was with them that season. The 1974 World Championship was not among their greatest tournaments either; only Mikhailov had a truly good tournament, but even he didn't win any accolades.

That sounds interesting. But they didn't win 75-76 either when Spartak won. Don't have any individual stats at hand for that season though.

Some kind of transition period going on in the team/management could be an explanation. Since they went on to win 11 (I think) Soviet championships in a row.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Boris Mikhailov on coming to Lokomotiv Moscow from second-tier province team Avangard Saratov in the 1965 offseason:

"The training process was intense, [coach] Anatoly Kostryukov took all modern requirements into account. On the ice he constantly told you how to behave in different match situations. Particular attention was paid to the power play and the penalty killing, the fast change of lines, technique and shooting. At "Lokomotiv" I learned what it means to prepare: groundwork and weight training. It was hard work. But at that time I didn't know yet that it was a cakewalk compared to what would await me at CSKA and the national team. (...) Life in the capital was qualitatively different from life in other cities, it was of higher quality. For those who lived in the Soviet Union it's not a secret that in Moscow there were no problems with food and clothing. And many [outside of Moscow] found that irritating, but it wasn't our fault. Questions had to be asked to the leadership of the nation, not to us."​

Original:
Учебно-тренировочный процесс был интенсивным, Анатолий Кострюков учитывал все современные требования. Он, находясь на льду, постоянно подсказывал, как вести себя в матчах в различных ситуациях. Особое внимание уделялось игре в большинстве и в меньшинстве, быстрой смене звеньев, технике, броскам. В Â«Локомотиве» я понял, что такое подготовительный процесс - работа на земле, занятия с отягощениями. Это тяжелый труд. Но тогда я еще не знал, что все это семечки по сравнению с тем, что ждет меня в ЦСКА и в сборной. (...) Сама жизнь в столице качественно отличалась от условий в других городах, на порядок была выше. Для тех, кто жил в СССР, не секрет, что в Москве не было проблем с продуктами, одеждой. И это многих раздражало, хотя мы не были ни в чем виноваты. Вопросы надо было задавать не нам, а руководству страны.

Source: Boris Mikhailov's autobiography (Такова хоккейная жизнь, 2008), p.15-16.

Last edited:

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
"In Moscow there were no problems with food and clothing" :laugh:

Well, I guess hockey players were 'elite' in the Soviet Union, so it might be true in his case.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
"In Moscow there were no problems with food and clothing" :laugh:

Well, I guess hockey players were 'elite' in the Soviet Union, so it might be true in his case.

No doubt. From Paul Harder's thesis linked on HOH two years ago:

"During the 1960's and 1970's a Soviet player on one of the nation's leading teams had an official salary that was two to three times the sum the average worker could expect to earn. Players on lower level teams could expect to earn a decent worker's salary."​

Boris Mikhailov himself reports that his first season with Lokomotiv Moscow earned him a "promotion" of some kinds, accompanied by a rise or a bonus:

"In the 1965-1966 season "Lokomotiv" ended up in the fifth place and I was awarded the title 'Master of sports'. Now Nowadays the award [alone] probably wouldn't have inspired anybody, in hockey everyone is pragmatic, it all comes down to commercial concerns. The stimulus: money. However, I sincerely rejoiced, being aware that I was now in the company of famous players."
В сезоне 1965-1966 годов «Локомотив» занял пятое место, мне присвоили звание «Мастер спорта». Сейчас эта награда, пожалуй, никого не воодушевляет, в хоккее все прагматично, построено на рыночных отношениях. Стимул - деньги. Я же искренне радовался, понимал, что теперь нахожусь в компании известных игроков.

EDIT: The translation should actually be different. I fixed it.

Source: Same as post #27, p.16.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
No doubt. From Paul Harder's thesis linked on HOH two years ago:

Boris Mikhaylov himself reports that his first season with Lokomotiv Moscow earned him a "promotion" of some kinds, accompanied by a rise or a bonus:

Source: Same as post #27, p.16.

That sounds like a pro player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Theokritos - have you done this for the 1974-75 season? If so, could you provide a link...and if not, any chance you will be doing something similar for 1974-75?

I create databases for the PC hockey game EHM, and I have a 1974 database created, and would love to have more information on the Russian Leagues/Teams/Players from that time

Regards :)

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
That sounds like a pro player.

Which is what they were – just not on paper. Another line from Harder's thesis:

The material starting point for all Soviet players was their salary, which was euphemistically referred to as a stipend.

Anatoly Firsov talked about this issue in an interview late in his life:

When I played for CSKA, all of us already considered themselves as professionals even though we were still called "amateurs". But when we first met with the Canadians, that was sometime in 1963, when we were asked whether we are amateurs or professionals, we certainly answered "amateurs". We were answered, "You live 11-months a year with the team, train three times a day, play games – how can you be amateurs?" So when we thought about it, by about 25 we already considered ourselves as professionals. An amateur should work until 6-7 PM, then by eight PM he comes to the training. We on the other hand had three team trainings [a day], in fact we spent just one month at home with a family so that they were laughing at us: are you amateurs or eternal students, for how many years do you study? We study for a lifetime, until we got all diplomas. (...)

Theokritos - have you done this for the 1974-75 season? If so, could you provide a link...and if not, any chance you will be doing something similar for 1974-75?

Haven't done it yet, this one is the first season I have done and I will proceed to do one after the other. I will definitely come around to 1974-1975, but it's going to take some time.

Last edited:

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Haven't done it yet, this one is the first season I have done and I will proceed to do one after the other. I will definitely come aroudn to 1974-1975, but it's going to take some time.
Awesome! I'll be enjoying reading about each year you do :nod:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
A month after I had created this thread, updated informations became available on my source site ice-hockey-stat.com. A user named ZaicevJura took the trouble to look up the official game records at the State Archive of the Russian Federation in Moscow and posted the available data online, which in turn enabled me to supplement and correct my posts on the first site of this thread.

Quite a few attendance figures have changed and we also have the complete penalty record for every single game now. To my surprise the official records also list assists and the numbers seem to match those the SIHR has (see here). I've included these assist numbers for the sake of completeness, but more than ever I doubt their significance as they were awarded so sparsely that not a single player has more than 14. When one of the most renowned Russian playmakers of the 1960s, Alexander Almetov, ends up with 7 assists in 33 games, then these figures obviously don't even tell a fraction of the whole story.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
The 1965-1966 season saw the introduction of the 1-2-2 system at CSKA Moscow. According to Anatoli Tarasov, it was first tested in the pre-season Sovietsky Sport tournament in September 1965. The idea was to replace the traditional hockey formation (two defencemen, three forwards, 2-3) with a different set-up: one "stopper" (стоппер), two "half-backs" or "midfielders" (хавбека or полузащитника) and two forwards. Tarasov's rationale:

Tarasov (1968):
"Imagine the most basic set-up. An attacking opponent bursts into the corner near our goal and the defenceman engaging him ices the puck into the other corner. Now the opponent follows the puck there and so must one of our players. But which one? The one in the far corner will not be there in time. So it's up to the one in front of the net, the most dangerous place, the "slot", to move there. And that leaves the crease uncovered. So if we lose the battle for the puck somewhere, we're immediately in trouble defending our goal. The main benefit in attacking an opponent lies in the time factor. Passing the puck to the other side is quickly done, changing of positions by the players on the ice on the other hand... good luck trying to keep up with the puck!"

Tarasov (1971):
"Let me remind you that our hockey doctrine is based on the principle that attack is the best defence, the most reasonable and dominant form of a game scheme. (...) However, if we keep protecting the goal with players only positioned in two lines as is custom with many Canadian, American and European teams, we will not achieve the main purpose of a good defence: Reliable protection of our goal and constant readiness to counterattack."​

The role of the "stopper" in the 1-2-2 system:

Tarasov (1968):
"The stopper has to be a strong and courageous athlete, he's obliged to block the puck with his body. His area of operation is limited and he's not allowed to take risks, to get involved in the attacks and to move forward. This central defenceman has a special responsibility, he is our sheet anchor. Only the stopper as the last skater can still correct the mistakes of his line-mates and smooth out the lapses in their game.

In contrast the two half-backs are supposed to contribute both defensively and offensively:

"Under the system common today attacks are prepared by the two defencemen, but they only prepare them through their passing. They cannot risk going forward in an attack or counterattack since there is no-one [providing cover] behind them. In the new tactical system however, only one player is preparing the attacks and limited to passing. The other two, the half-backs, are free to move forward, play more creatively and become more of a real threat to the goal of the opponent. Four players are now constantly involved in the attacks, not [only] three like before. (...) When defending the stopper covers the center of the ice and the half-backs have to battle in the corners of the rink."​

The emergence of the half-backs also affects the way the forwards play:

"At the same time the offensive zone is not as crowded as in a game of 'all in attack', so there is more room for the athletes to move around and be creative. Both forwards in the new system are decidedly offensive players, with the defensive tasks largely removed from them they have a free hand to take tactical risks. (...) The forwards get a lot of room. Two players are now operating in an area 30 meters wide where there used to be three players."​

The 1-2-2 unit employed in 1965 consisted of: Oleg Zaitsev (stopper), Igor Romishevsky (half-back), Yevgeni Mishakov (half-back), Yuri Moiseyev (forward) and Anatoli Ionov (forward). Other candidates for the half-back roles who were tried out in the preseason but failed the test: Anatoli Drozdov ("lacking the necessary inventiveness") and Valentin Senyushkin ("not enough speed endurance"). Both soon found themselves transferred to SKA Leningrad. But even if Tarasov thought he had found suitable players for "the system", the transition to the new set-up wasn't free of trouble. The first game (the Sovietsky Sport final against Dinamo Moscow on September 25th) was won 5-4, but the new unit failed to score a goal and they were on for at least one goal against (back then the Soviets still recorded own-goals and Romishevsky had one of those). Tarasov reports that the half-backs Romishevsky and Mishakov weren't happy with their game and asked for allowance to play with more flexibility and interchangeability, not only between each other but also stopper Oleg Zaitsev. The next game was the season opener against Spartak Moscow on October 3rd and it brought a severe blowback to the 1-2-2 unit. Overwhelmed by the "complex interaction" they were aiming for, the Romishevsky/Mishakov line was on the ice for three goals against while they again failed to score themselves. (The game ended in a 4-4 tie.) According to Tarasov, both half-backs, especially Romishevsky, played too offensively to fulfill their defensive duties, as did Oleg Zaitsev who didn't act as the "defensive anchor" and "lifesaver" he was supposed to be. His takeaway: the players have to stick stricly to their specific roles in the 1-2-2 system. More flexibility is a nice idea, but requires an advanced mastery of the "system".

The next game against Spartak Moscow on October 28th gave Tarasov more reason to be satisfied. The 1-2-2 unit was on the ice for three goals and just one goal against in a 5-2 victory. The set-up hadn't changed, except that Ionov and Mishakov switched positions. What had changed was the discipline with which the players observed their tactical responsibilities.

Quoted:
Anatoly Tarasov: Совершеннолетие (1968=2nd edition)
Anatoly Tarasov: Хоккей грядущего (1971=2nd edition)

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
There is some game footage available from the 1965-1966 season opening game between CSKA and Spartak Moscow mentioned in the post above.

CSKA Moscow (dark):
Alexandrov — Almetov — Loktev, Kuzkin — Brezhnev
Firsov — Polupanov — Vikulov, Ivanov — Ragulin
Moiseyev — Ionov, Romishevsky — Mishakov, Zaitsev
G: Tolmachov

Spartak Moscow (light):
Boris Mayorov — Starshinov — Yaroslavtsev, Kitayev — Makarov
Yevgeni Mayorov — Borisov — Fomenkov, Kobtsev — Kuzmin
Zimin — Yakushev — Savin, Blinov — Migunko
G: Zinger

Unfortunately the numbers on the back of the Spartak players are hard to see.

Observations:

0:31 of the video:
Tarasov complained about the defensive failure of the 1-2-2 unit in this game. Here we see Spartak forward Yuri Borisov getting away from CSKA halfback Romishevsky (#13). Stopper Zaitsev (#2) doesn't provide cover like he should and is too late to block the shot.

0:41 of the video:
Almetov scores the equalizer on a breakaway goal.

0:47 of the video:
Insistent checking by Spartak winger Viktor Yaroslavtsev against CSKA defenceman Kuzkin (#4) leads to a turnover. Starshinov with good positioning even though his shot is blocked by Viktor Zinger, but Boris Mayorov (9) burries the rebound. Guess how the Soviets recorded this goal? As an unassisted one by Mayorov.

1:00 of the video:
Polupanov (#19) with a back-hand pass to Firsov (#11) who then moves and stickhandles himself free. Vikulov makes himself available to the left, but Firsov turns to the center and passes the puck back. It ends up on the stick of Ragulin who scores from a farer range. Zinger is screened by his own players and it's fair to say that the moves of Firsov and Vikulov led to that situation.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Since the club season and the national team season interweave that much, I have decided to add an overview over the Soviet national team season to this thread. As usual, at least 99% of the information is sourced from ice-hockey-stat.com.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Soviet National Team

a) PERSONNEL

Goaltenders:

Viktor Konovalenko (14 GP, 770 min) was the starting goaltender, Viktor Zinger (8 GP, 370 min) the substitute. Alexander Pashkov (1 GP, 60 min) earned one call-up (Nov.26 vs Czechoslovakia).

Defencemen:

From November to February, the regular pairings were:

Kuzkin — Davydov
Brezhnev — A. Ragulin
Romishevsky — O. Zaitsev​

At the World Championship in March 1966, the Soviets played with:

Brezhnev (4g+2a) — A. Ragulin (4g+2a)
Kuzkin (1g+1a) — Davydov (0g+0a)
O. Zaitsev (3g+2a)

The only other defenceman who saw any action was Slava Zhidkov (in the Prague games in November).

Forwards:

From November to February, the following lines were regularly used:

Alexandrov — Almetov — Loktev
B. Mayorov — Starshinov — Ionov
Firsov — Polupanov — Vikulov
V. Yakushev — Yurzinov — Striganov​

For the World Championship, Ionov was replaced by Viktor Yakushev. The Soviet lines were:

Alexandrov (7g+9a) — Almetov (5g+8a) — Loktev (5g+5a)
B. Mayorov (3g+3a) — Starshinov (11g+1a) — V. Yakushev (2g+11a)
Firsov (3g+2a) — Polupanov (1g+3a) — Vikulov (4g+2a)
Ionov (0g+0a)

Three other forward lines received some trial employment in the Prague games in November:

Moiseyev — Mishakov — Ionov
Shilov — Motovilov — Sakeyev
Yaroslavtsev — A. Yakushev — Zimin​

World Championship Roster:

F:
Loktev, Konstantin — 32yo / 7 GP, 5 G, 5 A / 2 PM / named All-star and Best Forward
Alexandrov, Veniamin — 29yo / 7 GP, 9 G, 8 A / 4 PM / named All-star
Mayorov, Boris — 28yo / 7 GP, 3 G, 3 A / 2 PM / team captain
Yakushev, Viktor — 28yo / 7 GP, 2 G, 11 A / 0 PM
Almetov, Alexander — 26yo / 7 GP, 5 G, 8 A / 0 PM
Starshinov, Vyacheslav — 25yo / 7 GP, 11 G, 1 A / 8 PM
Polupanov, Viktor — 20yo / 7 GP, 1 G, 3 A / 6 PM
Vikulov, Vladimir — 19yo / 7 GP, 4 G, 2 A / 2 PM
Firsov, Anatoli — 25yo / 6 GP, 3 G, 2 A / 4 PM
Ionov, Anatoli — 26yo / 1 GP / 2 PM

D:
Brezhnev, Vladimir — 31yo / 7 GP, 4 G, 2 A / 9 PM
Davydov, Vitali — 27yo / 7 GP, 0 G, 0 A / 2 PM
Zaitsev, Oleg — 26yo / 7 GP, 3 G, 2 A / 6 PM
Kuzkin, Viktor — 25yo / 7 GP, 1 G, 1 A / 4 PM
Ragulin, Alexander — 24yo / 7 GP, 4 G, 2 A / 4 PM / named All-star and Best Defenceman

G:
Konovalenko, Viktor — 28yo / 6 GP (340 min), 7 GA
Zinger, Viktor — 24yo / 2 GP (80 min), 0 GA

Head coach: Arkadi Chernyshov (52yo)
Assistant coach: Anatoli Tarasov (47yo)

b) SCHEDULE
Date:LocationAttendanceInt.Exh.MatchNote
Nov.24Prague16,0001/202-3 Czechoslovakia
Nov.26Prague16,0002/202-4 Czechoslovakia
Nov.30Moscow1/910-1 Soviet Union B
Dec.3Timrå2/96-0 Sweden B
Dec.5Stockholm13,0003/203-2 Sweden
Dec.7Västerås4/207-1 Sweden
Dec.10London ON5,5405/204-0 Canada
Dec.12Québec9,7406/208-6 Canada
Dec.14Toronto14,8863/94-3 Toronto MarlborosToronto Marlboros reinforced*
Dec.15Montréal14,9814/91-2 Montréal Junior CanadiensJunior Canadiens reinforced**
Dec.17Winnipeg9,8007/206-2 Canada
Dec.19Spokane6,0545/96-1 Spokane Jets
Dec.20Victoria5,2208/201-6 Canada
Dec.21Regina4,8666/911-2 Regina Caps
Dec.23Winnipeg9,3009/204-1 Canada
Dec.27Colorado Springs4,16910/204-3 SwedenWalter Brown Memorial
Dec.28Colorado Springs5,10011/206-2 CanadaWalter Brown Memorial
Dec.30Colorado Springs5,10012/203-0 CzechoslovakiaWalter Brown Memorial
Feb.18Moscow13/204-0 West Germany
Feb.23Gorky7/99-5 Torpedo Gorky
Feb.24Gorky8/98-1 Torpedo Gorky
Mar.1Belgrade9/921-1 Belgrade Selects
Mar.3Ljubljana2,50014/208-1 PolandWorld Championship
Mar.5Ljubljana3,00015/2011-0 USAWorld Championship
Mar.6Ljubljana1,20016/2010-0 East GermanyWorld Championship
Mar.8Ljubljana7,00017/2013-2 FinlandWorld Championship
Mar.10Ljubljana7,00018/203-3 SwedenWorld Championship
Mar.11Ljubljana10,00019/203-0 CanadaWorld Championship
Mar.13Ljubljana12,00020/207-1 CzechoslovakiaWorld Championship
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
*Marlboros reinforcements: Nine junior players from other OHA clubs, including Bobby Orr, Serge Savard, André Lacroix, Derek Sanderson and Danny Grant.
**Junior Canadiens reinforcements: Five senior players (Houston Apollos, CPHL) plus Jacques Plante.

Int = Proper internationals (against official representative of another country)
Exh = Exhibition or friendlies (against domestic or international opponents)

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Thank You

^^^ Thank you for resurrecting this thread. Only one season but revealing. League schedule seems to be fairly lofensively and goaltendg requires facing elite offensive talent.ose. only 2 games in 2 days are road trips to distant venues - Novosibirsk and Leningrad. Tighter International schedule with 2 in 2 and 3 games in 4 days plus travel.

Concentration of offensive talent with the Moscow teams is interesting given that defensive talent and goalies were playing league wide. Certain merit that developing defensively and goaltending requires competition against offensive talent. Conversely offensive skills grow from familairity.

Season to season progression would be valuable but we make do with what we have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad