1963-64 Bruins and Rangers vs 1978-79 Team USA

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
So many older fans on HF talk in glowing terms of the O6. So I thought I would tie together a thread I created months ago about when the US became a hockey power (not powerhouse like Canada\USSR). I posited that it was actually at the end of the 1978-79 NHL, NCAA seasons and the selection camp in Summer of 1979 for the US Olympic Team.

So how would you guess 2 evenly split 1979 US Teams would have done
against the 1963-64 Boston Bruins and NY Rangers in a 7 game series?
Would the NHL Teams win easily because of experience differential alone or talent differential alone or both?

Goaltending looks thin, no two ways about it with Lopresti the only NHL talent. So does the net get filled on Baker, Craig and Janaszak . The Defense Corp has much more NHL experience with several having played on\in NHL\WHA All Star Games or teams that had won Cups or played in The Finals prior to 1979 in Larson, Langway,
Milbury, Nyrop and Chartraw. Still that group is inexperienced when you get to the 3rd pair on each team with the O'Connel-Langevin and Morrow-Ramsay pairings. However it was top to bottom the strongest positional group which had some size in
guys like Langway, Milbury, Nyrop, Chartraw, Langevin, Morrow and Ramsay.
Would they have given the smaller Ranger and Bruin forward groups problems?

The forward group had 2 players who played in a SC Final, and 3 other players who played in an NHL\WHA All Star game. It is a very young group with only Bennett
at 31 past age They are a young group with 8 of the 24 forwards having no NHL experience. However at least 6 of them played for the US at the 1979 WC where they
surprised Czechoslovakia 2-2 with Craig in net, so they weren't completely inexperienced in a high pressure situation.

This is my 1979 Team USA Roster Pool:

G - Lopresti - Baker - Craig - Janaszak

D - Larson - Langway
Sargent - Milbury
Nyrop- Roberts
Norwich - Chartraw
O'Connell Langevin
Morrow - Ramsay

C - Ftorek--Broten-Miller-Debol- Johnson-Pavelich-Christian-Sheehan

W - Rowe-Howe-Holmgren-Jensen-Talafous-Fidler-Bennett-Gorence-McClanahan-Christoff-Mullen-Silk-Younghans-Hansen-Fotiu-Walker

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad