1942 and '43 player turnover

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Knowing that the early 40s saw weakened competition due to many of the best players going to fight in WWII, I'd like to know how much of that was counteracted by the Brooklyn Americans folding in 1942. On first glance, I see their second leading scorer, Mel Hill, went to the Leafs, although their top scorer and starting goaltender were both out of the league the next season.

Anyone have a consolidated database of who all left for the war in individual years? Or by any chance, have any information as to what actually happened to the Americans? (dispersal draft, random contract auction, etc).

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
what actually happened to the Americans? (dispersal draft, random contract auction, etc).

Dispersal draft. I don't know the specifics, but after the Americans suspended operations the players were dispersed to the other six clubs. In 1946 the Americans franchised was revoked ('retired'), and the rights of the players stayed with the teams that had acquired them since 1942.

Whether the effects of the war were mitigated somewhat by the dispersal of American players is... tough to say. I don't think so, as many of them went to war (Chuck Rayner, Bill Benson, Pat Egan, Murray Armstrong, Norm Larson, Harry Watson, Ken Mosdell, Wilf Field, Fred Thurier, Bill Summerhill, etc.). And as you pointed out, Tommy Anderson was out of the league at the end of the '42 season. By then he was 32 ('old'), and only played a few years of minor pro and senior amateur after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad