1937 Red Wings Championship Run

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
Not sure where else I could put this, but I've written a short work on the Red Wings 1937 Stanley Cup run, going back to actual news articles and stats to reconstruct the story of their attempt to become the first American team to win back-to-back Cups.

It's really a fascinating story and it's a shame it's never been written about before beyond a few blurbs in hockey history books.

Anyway, here's a link to my work, since it involves hockey history I'm hoping that it's okay to do so:

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/36653

It's free, but you have to register at Smashwords to read it I think, which only takes a second. I wish that wasn't the case but what can you do?

Anyway, just to make this something other than self-promotion, are any of you familiar with this particular playoff run?

When I was doing my research it struck me how good Marty Barry was and how I wish I could have seen him play. The guy was called the best playmaker in the league while he played, and he also scored absolutely clutch goals. I'm ashamed to admit that as a hockey fan and a Red Wing fan I had never really heard much about him before this.

There are also a lot of parallels with the Wings current season: i.e. injury plagued goalies, relying on AHL call-ups, major injuries to key players, etc. Really struck me as one of those under-dog stories, even though the Wings were favored to win.

After researching it I'd have to say this is one of my favorite Wing Cup wins. Are there any historic playoff runs you wish you would have been around to see?

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Just finish reading it. It was very interesting and full of new information I didn't knew. Kudos for the hard work.

Do you have any other research like that in your possession?

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
Not yet but I plan on doing more work in the near future. I'm in grad school studying history right now so time to do extra research is sort of limited for the next couple months, but over that time I'll be doing a bit here and there.

There's a ton of interesting stories that never get told, mostly because the markets are limited. Hockey fans may not necessarily be Red Wings fans, etc. But the advent of e-books makes it possible to cheaply and widely distribute more niche stories. My only wish is that there were more people left alive from the 1937 Cup run to interview.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad