|
3rd​
|
new
|
39.6​

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm going to be floored if Lindell doesn't make the Top 20. That's crazy to me. I think/hope he's going now.

I really, really like Hansson, but what he's done in Allsvenskan, to me, doesn't touch Lindell's performance in the Liiga and the WJC to date. That's the most interesting thing to me about Lindell so far is he showed last year he's much, much more than just the offensive force he was in junior. He really stepped up huge in a defensive, shut down role for Finland, and played that role fairly well for Jokerit according to most reports.

This guy has major, major breakout potential this year playing on Assat's top pair, and he's done more than enough to justify a spot based on his performance as a U20 in the Liiga.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Basically the voting will come down to Glennie or Lindell to make my vote worthwhile so Lindell.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I think Dowling is a better prospect than Glennie. There's no question who's the better hockey player from watching them on the same Texas team. They're the same age. Dowling plays a more important position. He has a higher ceiling at this point as well. I'm not sure exactly who I'm voting for at 20 but it's not Glennie. Right now it's more of a toss-up between Dowling, Troock, and Prapavessis.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I would like to say Trook, but his injury history scares me away. Probably the most talented prospect left, but spent the majority of his CHL career injured. All this time away from hockey while being injured has probably stunted his growth as a player.

Glennie is gone as far as I am concerned, and his proximity to the NHL doesn't change the fact he is at the absolute most now a 3 line grinder, more likely 4th line.

Sinitsyn has suffered from what Trook has, not enough games in his young career. The circumstances are different for Sinitsyn since his absence from games is politics and visa issues. The talent is there to be an NHLer, he just needs a stable playing environment and everything to go right.

I liked what I have seen from Dowling (the games he played in the AHL playoffs); I just can't shake the Travis Morin vibe.

Prapavessis is a guy that is the definition of boom/bust prospect. Talented, yet raw. Honestly, even as a Knights fan, I am glad he's heading to RPI. Needs to work on physical aspects of game and college will allow him to do that far more then he could as a member of the Knights.

As far as I am concerned we got 3 3rd round talents in Haydon, Prapavessis and Peters.

Hard decisions for that last spot.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Glennie is gone as far as I am concerned, and his proximity to the NHL doesn't change the fact he is at the absolute most now a 3 line grinder, more likely 4th line.

Literally no different from the ceiling of McKenzie, Elie, and Jokipakka.

McKenzie put up better numbers in what is actually his rookie AHL season, sure, but he also played on a top line with the two best (and veteran) players.

Elie still has a lot to prove he will even get to Glennie's level, that's mainly due to age. Is it unfair? Sure. But life isn't fair.

Jokipakka, while a d-man, was a late pick and always expected to top out at a 3rd pairing guy. That would roughly be on par with a bottom 6 forward.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Jokipakka, while a d-man, was a late pick and always expected to top out at a 3rd pairing guy. That would roughly be on par with a bottom 6 forward.

Is a legit 3rd pairing defenseman who can play against decent NHL competition really on par with a bottom 6 or 4th line forward? I give the edge to the defenseman.

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
Literally no different from the ceiling of McKenzie, Elie, and Jokipakka.

McKenzie put up better numbers in what is actually his rookie AHL season, sure, but he also played on a top line with the two best (and veteran) players.

Elie still has a lot to prove he will even get to Glennie's level, that's mainly due to age. Is it unfair? Sure. But life isn't fair.

Glennie would have been afforded every opportunity to do the same as McKenzie, and he blew it by not conditioning properly in the off-seasons for several years AND showing no desire to put in the effort to succeed until last year. He should have had the same ceiling or higher than several of these guys, but through his efforts alone, he blew his chance. Really, he should be thankful the Stars even extended him a contract.

IMO, Elie has a higher ceiling now than Glennie. McKenzie's is comparable but his bigger body and physical play make him better suited to a depth role. Jokipakka's hard to compare, but I could still see him as a fringe second pair guy. But the fact that the org. always mentions him means they see him in a great light.

Frankly, I hope someone claims Glennie off waivers so we can wash our hands of him. He's not a guy I want anywhere near the Stars even if he goes on to be a regular player in the league.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Glennie would have been afforded every opportunity to do the same as McKenzie, and he blew it by not conditioning properly in the off-seasons for several years AND showing no desire to put in the effort to succeed until last year. He should have had the same ceiling or higher than several of these guys, but through his efforts alone, he blew his chance. Really, he should be thankful the Stars even extended him a contract.

IMO, Elie has a higher ceiling now than Glennie. McKenzie's is comparable but his bigger body and physical play make him better suited to a depth role. Jokipakka's hard to compare, but I could still see him as a fringe second pair guy. But the fact that the org. always mentions him means they see him in a great light.

Frankly, I hope someone claims Glennie off waivers so we can wash our hands of him. He's not a guy I want anywhere near the Stars even if he goes on to be a regular player in the league.

Glennie seems to be one of those players whose natural ability and frame got him through midgets and juniors, never having to put in much effort. Some people are just gifted like that, but he wasn't gifted enough to just glide into the NHL without some investment. The pros are a different monster. It probably took him several years to figure that out, overestimating his own abilities....potentially destroying his NHL career.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX

So because he got injured and didn't put the work in two years ago he's now a step behind a guy who's still never accomplished anything Glennie himself has already surpassed? It's obvious you don't like the guy. Fine, but to call him a waste because he's not the world beater 1st liner everyone hoped is absurd. The NHL is littered with guys just like Malhotra, Nystrom, Mattias Tedenby, Colton Gillies, Trevor Lewis all guys who were 1st round picks with high expectations who eventually became bottom six contributors.

Obviously you didn't watch him in the playoffs or you wouldn't be questioning his want to. Kid worked hard and put himself in the right positions. Giving away talent for nothing is never the answer.

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
So because he got injured and didn't put the work in two years ago he's now a step behind a guy who's still never accomplished anything Glennie himself has already surpassed?

If you're referring to Elie, he led his talent deficient team in scoring, something Glennie, who played on stacked teams, never had to do. He also developed more in one year than Glennie did his entire junior career. Elie is no lock to be a better player, but he has the chance as he is far from done developing. Glennie pretty much is what he is at this point.

Sure, Glennie outscored him. But Glennie got to ride shotgun with a fifth overall pick and another guy (drafted in the 5th round, I'll grant you) that made the NHL in his first season after juniors. People want to knock McKenzie for doing that in the AHL, but that's precisely what Glennie did in the WHL.

Not putting the work in is exactly the issue. Once directly out of junior I can maybe accept, but his practice habits still were not great the second year out either. His tendency to get injured early is attributable to this.

It's obvious you don't like the guy. Fine, but to call him a waste because he's not the world beater 1st liner everyone hoped is absurd. The NHL is littered with guys just like Malhotra, Nystrom, Mattias Tedenby, Colton Gillies, Trevor Lewis all guys who were 1st round picks with high expectations who eventually became bottom six contributors.

I didn't like that he would come into camp out of shape. I don't like that he didn't take hockey serious enough until it was clear that he had to because people were passing him up. That's not the mentality I want in a player.

Most of those guys you list played half a season or more of NHL hockey by the time they were 20. Nystrom and Lewis didn't, but Nystrom stayed in college all four years, so that was impossible for him. Glennie is already 23 and only has one game under his belt. Only Lewis is really comparable, and he's not a guy I would be concerned about losing if we had him.

Obviously you didn't watch him in the playoffs or you wouldn't be questioning his want to. Kid worked hard and put himself in the right positions. Giving away talent for nothing is never the answer.

Giving away fringe NHL talent for nothing happens all the time, and it's nothing that concerns me.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If you're referring to Elie, he led his talent deficient team in scoring, something Glennie, who played on stacked teams, never had to do. He also developed more in one year than Glennie did his entire junior career. Elie is no lock to be a better player, but he has the chance as he is far from done developing. Glennie pretty much is what he is at this point.

Sure, Glennie outscored him. But Glennie got to ride shotgun with a fifth overall pick and another guy (drafted in the 5th round, I'll grant you) that made the NHL in his first season after juniors.

This is about half true.

If we're going to be accurate, both Elie and Glennie had an opportunity to play with amazing top talent. It's also just as easy to twist the words to make Remi sound bad ... One couldn't cut it and was traded off of a good team, and the other succeeded playing with top players.

They also both played on poor teams with little talent. It's weird how many people ignore Glennie's 4th WHL season where he played without Schenn or Calvert and carried the offense for Brandon with Stone by themselves. The team finished 6th in their conference and made the playoffs. Calvert was a pro that season and Schenn played all of 2 games with Brandon that entire season.

On the other hand, Belleville was the 4th worst team in the entire OHL.

We should at least get the facts straight.

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
This is about half true.

If we're going to be accurate, both Elie and Glennie had an opportunity to play with amazing top talent. It's also just as easy to twist the words to make Remi sound bad ... One couldn't cut it and was traded off of a good team, and the other succeeded playing with top players.

They also both played on poor teams with little talent. It's weird how many people ignore Glennie's 4th WHL season where he played without Schenn or Calvert and carried the offense for Brandon with Stone by themselves. The team finished 6th in their conference and made the playoffs. Calvert was a pro that season and Schenn played all of 2 games with Brandon that entire season.

On the other hand, Belleville was the 4th worst team in the entire OHL.

We should at least get the facts straight.

No, Elie was never afforded the opportunity to regularly play with London's top players, so I don't know how you could frame it as him not cutting it. He was used as a 4th liner his first season and only played 6 games with them before being dealt.

As for Glennie's last WHL season, it had been a while, so I couldn't remember everything with crystal clarity. But you should know better than to compare a fourth year junior player to a second year one, too.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
No, Elie was never afforded the opportunity to regularly play with London's top players, so I don't know how you could frame it as him not cutting it. He was used as a 4th liner his first season and only played 6 games with them before being dealt.

As for Glennie's last WHL season, it had been a while, so I couldn't remember everything with crystal clarity. But you should know better than to compare a fourth year junior player to a second year one, too.

Yes ... you can easily frame it that way. We're not talking about some mean ole coach that wouldn't play him. Remi wasn't good enough to crack that lineup. Brandon was just as deep with talented and older players when Glennie and Schenn broke through and were leading that team as 17 year olds.

I'm impressed with what Elie has done since the trade, but I can't see how anyone is going to claim he wasn't given a chance. It's hockey. You earn it or you don't.

We're not comparing 4th and 2nd. Again that's inaccurate. It's 4th and 3rd year players we're talking about. When they were both 2nd year players, Glennie was scoring 70 points in 55 games on a deep team. Remi was barely playing. Glennie yes gets a small edge for being in his 4th rather than 3rd, but it's not a huge gap.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Yes ... you can easily frame it that way. We're not talking about some mean ole coach that wouldn't play him

Kind of actually. Ruperts were played over him simply because they lived with Dale Hunter. Mike Maccarron was played over him simply because he was a first round pick.

Knights fans were upset when he was traded because they knew he would be point-per-game as soon as he was given a chance.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
For what it's worth I do agree with you that Remi is a better prospect now, but I'm just saying let's not re-write history about both of these players.

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
Brandon was just as deep with talented and older players when Glennie and Schenn broke through and were leading that team as 17 year olds.

Not exactly. All of Brandon's top scorers the season before were overagers. There was a bunch of holes at the top end to fill. London's top slots were mostly filled by the time Elie signed.

I'm impressed with what Elie has done since the trade, but I can't see how anyone is going to claim he wasn't given a chance. It's hockey. You earn it or you don't.

To a degree, yes. But players with names or higher picks usually get more of a chance than undrafted or lower drafted players.

We're not comparing 4th and 2nd. Again that's inaccurate. It's 4th and 3rd year players we're talking about. When they were both 2nd year players, Glennie was scoring 70 points in 55 games on a deep team. Remi was barely playing. Glennie yes gets a small edge for being in his 4th rather than 3rd, but it's not a huge gap.

You can count his Jr. A year, but I'm talking about CHL seasons. This was only his second in the OHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad