Post-Game Talk: 19 games left

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Mrazek has no rebound control. Every shot on goal by Oilers, resulted in 4 more shots on goal because Mrazek just kicks the puck back out to the opposition. He's at the stage in his career where this shouldn't be a problem. But it is a HUGE problem. So big that he will/should never be a starter. Mrazek has proven he doesn't have what it takes to be a starter in the NHL. Trade him.
While Petr hasn't done himself many favors this season, trading him will simply result in watching a different goalie have a losing year on this bad team.

It's not like Howard had a winning record before he got hurt, either. The roster is just bad all around.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I just noticed it looking at the standings...this team has only 18 ROW? It's more disturbing that Arizona also has 18 and Colorado has 17.

Hank is too proud to admit it and I respect his determination but this team is and has been toast. They're going to be competitive in games but they'll be just good enough to lose a bunch of 1 or 2 goal games the rest of the way.

They have no one that is a true finisher. The defense is either too old or too young in spots. McDavid's goal was a frightening reminder of how raw Sproul and Ouellet still are. It seems like every game offers a glaring reminder of how far behind this team is behind everyone else.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Just some thoughts:

I've really liked Jensen's progression. He was engaged all over the ice and making smart decisions.

That McDavid goal really highlighted Ouellet's skating deficiencies lol.

Z has lost a lot of mobility but is still the teams best player. Great game from him.

I thought Mantha was our best forward tonight. I love when he uses his size to shield the puck.

AA is such a polarizing player to watch. He has moments when he looks like he could be elite but then looks completely lost the next shift. His speed and skill is undeniable but his hockey IQ leaves much to be desired. I can totally understand why Blashill has limited his minutes at times.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Oh, fun. They updated the playoff simulation.

In order to have a 22.5% chance, we need to go 14-3-2. 41.5% chance, 15-3-1. I can't wait to hear Blashill be like, "well, we can still make it!"

But it looks like the magic number is 4. If the Wings lose 4 times in regulation in the next 19, they're done.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
That is funny. You mentioned canning Mrazek, but then what? I'm sure we could all agree Howard was playing phenomenal... but it's become a fantasy imagining what would be if he was healthy. He's injured every season like clockwork. I wish Howard could be depended upon but he can't. May be Mrazek isn't the grand solution but Coreau certainly isn't. No easy answers but for the time being goaltending is probably the least of the Wings worries.

There's no reason to be paying $9million per for two goalies. Mrazek is the weaker of the two. In the off season, Kenny needs to pick up a backup on the cheap like a Jonas Gustavsson.

With your eye for talent assesment, I've never been more certain about Mrazek becoming a top starter in the league.

Rebound control is a fairly easy attribute to work on, but the kind of athletism and natural talent Mraz possesses ain't.

Based on your past post and logic, we're about equal in that department. Nothing to be ashamed of really... we don't get paid millions to assess hockey talent.

How dare anybody with any hockey credibility blame mrazek

The team is disgusting un front of him to allow so many chances in the first place

I'm not blaming him for the loss, I am blaming him for the bloated SOG. He makes his job harder than it has to be.

While Petr hasn't done himself many favors this season, trading him will simply result in watching a different goalie have a losing year on this bad team.

It's not like Howard had a winning record before he got hurt, either. The roster is just bad all around.

I agree the roster is under performing this season. But there's no point in paying almost 10 million per year on 2 goalies. You keep the best goalie and let the other one go and replace him with a cheaper option.

Is there a lot teams in the NHL that tie up almost $10 million in goaltending?

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Is there a lot teams in the NHL that tie up almost $10 million in goaltending?

Wings will be out of contention for a time, cap space is not really an issue. Either way, the deadline has passed, the expansion draft will likely dictate our goalie depth chart, hard to see the wings protecting Howard with his injury history, age, and inconsistency-not to mention his contract. If neither is picked, the FO could consider moving one, but that would be selling low, best to see if they can regain their form.

Last edited:

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Bettman called the Refs and told them to not, under any circumstances, penalize Edmonton Oilers for they have the golden one who must help sell NHL tickets.

NHL is becoming all about money and politics. Pathetic.
The league wants more scoring but refuse to call penalties.
Mrasuck did his thing. He lost all rebound control from last year. Every shot turns to 4-5 because of that. Howard can't stay healthy and mrasuck is regressed.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'll worry about our goaltending when our goalies aren't playing in front of a d core that is 80% garbage and we're not getting outshot by 10,15, 20 shots a night.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'll worry about our goaltending when our goalies aren't playing in front of a d core that is 80% garbage and we're not getting outshot by 10,15, 20 shots a night.
But the tires are REALLY REALLY flat...on this car that's on fire. ;)

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Redwings since 2010

graph-trending-down-685687-300x225.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad