Line Combos: 19-20 line-up prediction

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
How about continuing our re-building and not get potential anchor deals for overpaying free agents?

Drouin - Domi - Suzuki
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Byron - Poehling - Shaw

That is a solid group.

Defensively:
Mete - Weber
Reilly - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen

Not that great but after the Alzner, Schlemko debacle I think it's better to let our young defenseman (Romanov, Brook, Juulsen, Walford, etc) grow within the organisation before making any other radical changes.

As for goaltender
Price
whoever.
The thing is with that scenario is you're asking the scouting department the impossible to rebuild the core without top picks. I'm a "tanker" or pro-rebuild through and through but we're at a point where we're too good to get a high pick but not good enough to be a big threat in the post-season.

Adding one of Panarin, Stone, Karlsson without giving up any assets in return except for cap space, is essentially getting a top pick. I'd normally agree if we were talking your run-of-the mill UFAs but guys like that who are among the best at their position and typically never hit free agency, they're well worth the money.

That lineup, if all you do is simply keep adding late round picks to it, unless you really and I mean really knock one out of the park, will never take the step from good to great by the time Weber and Price are too old to be as effective.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia.
Domi - Danault - Gallagher.
Byron - Poehling - Suzuki.
Shaw - ??? - Lehkonen. (Maybe Lehkonen traded for a young D).

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018
Tatar-Domi-Gallagher
Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Suzuki
Lehkonen-Danault-Armia
Byron-Poehling-Shaw

Reilly-Weber
Romanov-Petry
Mete-Brook

Price
??

Move towards youth/speed/skill and see what we have.

Apr 28, 2010
I don't see Reilly back next season.

Domi - Karlsson/Duchene - Drouin
Tatar - Kotka - Gallagher
Byron - Danault - Suzuki
Lehkonen - Poehling - Shaw

??? - Weber
Mete - Petry
??? - Juulsen

Price
???

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
I hate leaving Armia off these potential lineups but we have so much young talent coming in. We’ll miss him a lot of if we let him go.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Tatar-Domi-Gallagher
Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Suzuki
Lehkonen-Danault-Armia
Byron-Poehling-Shaw

Reilly-Weber
Romanov-Petry
Mete-Brook

Price
??

Move towards youth/speed/skill and see what we have.

Romanov can't play here next year buddy, contract with KHL.

Someone up mentioned MB should take a nap but I disagree because that defense corp as it is will still be borderline sucky next season. That is where he needs to do something

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Someone up mentioned MB should take a nap but I disagree because that defense corp as it is will still be borderline sucky next season. That is where he needs to do something

Certainly would't give away prospects,but maybe a FA signing or 2,lots of cap space.Plus,so many potential prospects that could conceivable make it.Already they have 10 spots that are more than decent.

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018

My bad , forgot about the khl thing . and agree he should try to upgrade the D. Did the lines off what we have now and in the system but would love an upgrade on D for sure.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
The thing is with that scenario is you're asking the scouting department the impossible to rebuild the core without top picks. I'm a "tanker" or pro-rebuild through and through but we're at a point where we're too good to get a high pick but not good enough to be a big threat in the post-season.

Adding one of Panarin, Stone, Karlsson without giving up any assets in return except for cap space, is essentially getting a top pick. I'd normally agree if we were talking your run-of-the mill UFAs but guys like that who are among the best at their position and typically never hit free agency, they're well worth the money.

That lineup, if all you do is simply keep adding late round picks to it, unless you really and I mean really knock one out of the park, will never take the step from good to great by the time Weber and Price are too old to be as effective.

We are 8th OV.. When we were supposed to be bottom feeders. Reallly. Anything is possible and if they keep their momentum going into the playoffs.. I can see them going 2nd round atleast.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
We are 8th OV.. When we were supposed to be bottom feeders. Reallly. Anything is possible and if they keep their momentum going into the playoffs.. I can see them going 2nd round atleast.
Yeah we've only been hearing it for the last 7 years... Magic beans n' unicorns, that's nice and all but it's not much of a plan. Time for them to commit to something, whether it's a full-on rebuild or spending big money.

Okay so we make the 2nd round. Great. Then what? Those three potential UFAs are exactly the kind of players that can push a team from good (i.e. 2nd round exit) to great (finals). How do you propose acquiring said high end player if it's not through free agency nor a high pick, which also doesn't involve a ton of assets going the other way?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2