Line Combos: 19-20 line-up prediction

xFRaNK

Jun 16, 2018
This is the Line-up I can see for the habs in 2019-2020. We have a great group of young fowards. Running that line up we would still have probably around 8Mil (depending on how much Lehkonen, Armia and Niemi will sign). We could use that cap space to try and get a Top 4 LD that we really need.

Who would be available with term and under 27 years old?
Here are the assets I would trade to acquire a top 4 LD
: Brook, Fleury, Ylonen, Ikonen, Primeau, Lehkonen, Armia, Byron, Shaw, Tatar, all our draft picks in 2019 except our 1st.
(to receive we need to give)

With a good LD, I can see the habs be close to be a contender in the years to come with that line-up especially when Romanov will make the team and live up to the WJC hype.

LW
C
RW
Domi​
Kotka​
Gallagher​
Drouin​
Danault​
Tatar​
Byron​
Poehling​
Suzuki​
Lehkonen​
Shaw​
Armia​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

LD
RD
???Weber
MetePetry
Reilly/KulakJuulsen
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Why do the players coming in have to be under 27 years old?

I’m not saying that we are in position to sign a bunch of 34 year olds but much can change over the course of 2-3 NHL seasons. A good 30-31 year old player still has plenty to offer, usually for a few years still.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Tatar - Duchene - Drouin
Domi - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Danault - Armia
Byron - Evans - Shaw

Mete - Weber
Reilly - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen

Price
Lindgren

Poehling, Suzuki, Brook and Fleury in the ahl

I like Duchene, but not sure he's a better center than Domi.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This is the Line-up I can see for the habs in 2019-2020. We have a great group of young fowards. Running that line up we would still have probably around 8Mil (depending on how much Lehkonen, Armia and Niemi will sign). We could use that cap space to try and get a Top 4 LD that we really need.

Who would be available with term and under 27 years old?
Here are the assets I would trade to acquire a top 4 LD
: Brook, Fleury, Ylonen, Ikonen, Primeau, Lehkonen, Armia, Byron, Shaw, Tatar, all our draft picks in 2019 except our 1st.
(to receive we need to give)

With a good LD, I can see the habs be close to be a contender in the years to come with that line-up especially when Romanov will make the team and live up to the WJC hype.

LW
C
RW
Domi​
Kotka​
Gallagher​
Drouin​
Danault​
Tatar​
Byron​
Poehling​
Suzuki​
Lehkonen​
Shaw​
Armia​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
LD
RD
???Weber
MetePetry
Reilly/KulakJuulsen
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So hard to predict. Will be interesting to see what/if we add at the deadline. Then, depending on how the playoffs go, if those players stay or go. And, if we have a big playoff run, that could really help us attract free agents who think they might be that missing piece to get us to the next level.

We've made the conference finals twice in the last 9 years. Could this be a 3rd time in 10 years?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What
He produced better numbers than Domi his whole career and he's one of the best faceoffs player in the league
Offensive numbers aren't everything for a center.

And, he played wing a lot in Colorado - with MacKinnon. Now he's playing with Stone.

I find Domi gritty, and all over the ice. To be honest, I'd have to watch more of Duchene to see how his game has matured, and he may be more effective in the new, less physical NHL. But I can't just go by the numbers to judge his 200 foot game.

And remember, Domi's just getting started, he's only 23. So he could drastically improve each year, as he enters his prime either next year or the year after. Not sure what age a typical player's prime is anymore as the league got so young so fast. It used to be 25 - 32. Now it may be 24 - 30.

Given that, I don't see Bergevin giving 8 years and high AAV to a 29 year old who will turn 30 in the middle of next season. How good will Duchene be from 34 - 37 on such a contract?

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Panarin or Karlsson would be unreal but adding Stone would also move us forward in a big way.

Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Stone
Drouin-Domi-Gally
Suzuki-Danault-Armia
Lehkonen-Evans-Byron/Shaw

Poehling, Brook in the A. Suzuki plays half the season there, gets a call up.

Reactions: DangerDave

xFRaNK

Jun 16, 2018
Tatar - Duchene - Drouin
Domi - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Byron - Evans - Shaw

Mete - Weber
Reilly - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen

Price
Lindgren

Poehling, Suzuki, Brook and Fleury in the ahl

Id rather use that cap space for a much needed LD then duchene. Kotka or Domi can fill that role almost as well as duchene. We have a strong Center dept now, we dont need Duchene anymore I think (Kotka, Domi, Danault, Poehling, Suzuki, Evans are strong options now and for the future)

Reactions: Paddyjack

xFRaNK

Jun 16, 2018
Panarin or Karlsson would be unreal but adding Stone would also push us forward in a big way.

Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Stone
Drouin-Domi-Gally
Suzuki-Danault-Armia
Lehkonen-Evans-Byron/Shaw

Poehling in the A. Suzuki plays half a season and gets a call up.

Damn I would love Stone with the habs. Top 5 2-way winger in the league. I wonder how much he'll sign for? around 8,5?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Offensive numbers aren't everything for a center.

And, he played wing a lot in Colorado - with MacKinnon. Now he's playing with Stone.

I find Domi gritty, and all over the ice. To be honest, I'd have to watch more of Duchene to see how his game has matured, and he may be more effective in the new, less physical NHL. But I can't just go by the numbers to judge his 200 foot game.

And remember, Domi's just getting started, he's only 23. So he could drastically improve each year, as he enters his prime either next year or the year after. Not sure what age a typical player's prime is anymore as the league got so young so fast. It used to be 25 - 32. Now it may be 24 - 30.

Given that, I don't see Bergevin giving 8 years and high AAV to a 29 year old who will turn 30 in the middle of next season. How good will Duchene be from 34 - 37 on such a contract?

Domi isnt good defensively and being gritty has nothing to do with playing center.
If a team has both Domi and Duchene, there is about 0% chance Domi plays center over Duchene.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I take Stone, leave Domi at C.

Drouin Domi Stone
Tatar Kotkaniemi Gallagher
Byron/Lehkonen Danault Armia

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
I want Bergevin to take a two-year nap. We have all we need within the organization at the moment to have a great lineup by the end of next year.

Drouin-Domi-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Tatar-Poehling-Suzuki
Byron-Danault-Shaw

Mete-Weber
Rielly-Petry
Kulak-Juulsen

Price
Lindgren

I think Poehling and Suzuki starts in the AHL next year, but they finish the season with the Habs. With this lineup, we roll four lines pretty much equally.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Damn I would love Stone with the habs. Top 5 2-way winger in the league. I wonder how much he'll sign for? around 8,5?

I would go as high as $9.5M with lots of bonus money in July. Overpayment but might be what it takes to get Stone with the Habs. He will get $8M from several teams. The advantage the Habs have is bonus money. Aside from Price, nobody else is getting significant money on July. Leafs will be forking out $60M on July 1st. Habs should offer Stone a contract with 90% of the salary paid in July. 7 seasons with $12M, $11M, $10M, $9M, $8M, $7M, $6M = $63M ($9M AAV)

Drouin / Domi / Stone
Lehkonen / Kotkaniemi / Armia
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Hudon / Shaw / Byron

Deslauriers, Peca, Agostino, Chaput

Mete / Weber
Reilly / Petry
Kulak / Juulsen

Alzner, Schlemko

Price
Lindgren

* Poehling, Suzuki, Brook play AHL with a few NHL games here and there.
* Romanov plays another KHL season
* Primeau in the NCAA for two more seasons
* Ylonen, Olofsson, and Ikonen play at least one more season in Europe.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
What I’d like to see.

Tatar Domi RW
Drouin KK Gally
Lehkonen Danault Armia
DLo Poehling Shaw

LD Weber
Mete Petry
Kulak Juulsen
Benn

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Domi isnt good defensively and being gritty has nothing to do with playing center.
If a team has both Domi and Duchene, there is about 0% chance Domi plays center over Duchene.

At the end of the day, I just can't comment because I haven't seen enough of Duchene.

I disagree that Domi is not good defensively. He covers the ice very well with his not only speed, but will/determination/grit/involvement/commitment to doing what it takes to win. He's only played so much center at the NHL level. I think he has the potential to get better and better at the 200 foot game. I'm not sure moving him to the wing doesn't take away from his game.

As for Duchene, do you know why Colorado moved him to the wing? Do you know how his 200 foot gane has been in Ottawa.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Panarin - Kotkaniemi - Drouin
Tatar - Domi - Suzuki
Byron - Shaw - Deslauriers

Xxx - Weber
Mete - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen

Price
Lindgren

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
How about continuing our re-building and not get potential anchor deals for overpaying free agents?

Drouin - Domi - Suzuki
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Byron - Poehling - Shaw

That is a solid group.

Defensively:
Mete - Weber
Reilly - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen

Not that great but after the Alzner, Schlemko debacle I think it's better to let our young defenseman (Romanov, Brook, Juulsen, Walford, etc) grow within the organisation before making any other radical changes.

As for goaltender
Price
whoever.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
f*** Duchene at this point, that guy seems to be a trouble maker... I'll take Stone though...

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Drouin-KK-Armia
Panarin-Domi-Stone
Lekonen-Daneault-Ylonen
Tatar-Suzuki-Josh Anderson

Mete-Web
Benn-E.Karleson
Romanov-Juulsen

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Domi - Danault - Byron
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Tatar - Poehling - Armia
Lehkonen - Shaw - Deslauriers

Mete - Weber
Reilly - Petry
Romanov/Kulak - Juulsen

Price
Lindgren

Strength of this lineup is forward depth, we have ~8 top 6 fowards in our top 9. Suzuki gets another year to mature in Laval and can come up the following year when we will have a lot more roster space.

We have a slight crowd at C, unless we move Domi or Danault out of the C spot, Poehling will be forced to play 4th line, which I'd rather him with offensive line mates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad