Prospect Info: 181st pick overall - Ryan Mast

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Teach him to fight and in few years we have a KMiller/Darth Quaider type back on the blue line.

Reactions: BMC and Jim

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
From Ashley Glover of Recruit Scouting:
...Mast has a very translatable style. Whilst he may not have a high point ceiling; his ability to transition the puck effectively and the one-on-one defensive play should continue to elevate as he matures and sees greater competition. Mast is a great natural athlete and hockey player, but foremost he is an intellect; something that is VERY apparent on the ice. Mast is one of the most dependable and responsible defenders in this class, he’s often tasked with big responsibilities and shows that he’s capable of problem solving and out-thinking his peers.

"I'm a big, right-handed, two-way defenseman," said Mast. "I think I value playing in the defensive end a lot, but I can get involved jumping in the rush too and making plays offensively. It's being a versatile, two-way defenseman."
With good size and a right-handed shot, Mast has already used one Boston defenseman as someone he can model his game after.
"There's definitely a lot of guys I like to watch and learn from," said Mast. "A Bruin that I think is a good one is Brandon Carlo. Similar body types and he's definitely someone I can learn from by watching him."
The Michigan native confirmed his current weight of 215 pounds, with some help coming from his mom's home cooking in Bloomfield Hills over the past year. "Yep," Mast confirmed with a smile and a laugh. "It's good, for sure."

I wonder how many prospects even know who Carlo is. Pretty cool

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Player Profile: Ryan Mast

Just watching the clips here, I'm impressed by his poise and IQ. He looks a bit like Lohrei with his ability to create space and break the puck out cleanly in his own zone. He doesn't have Lohrei's game breaking puck skills or rushing ability but he looks maybe more advanced defensively (hard to say just based on clips though).

Definitely seems like they have a type that they like - big, smart defensemen with some technical flaws that can be developed. Worked out well with Carlo. Also sounds like he's a student of the game similar to Harrison. Intriguing prospect for sure.

Reactions: BMC

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Lohrei
Gallagher
Mast

I wonder how these kids will progress over the next few years and which ones will end up on the roster. There's a lot to like about that trio.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
"I'm a big, right-handed, two-way defenseman," said Mast. "I think I value playing in the defensive end a lot, but I can get involved jumping in the rush too and making plays offensively. It's being a versatile, two-way defenseman."
With good size and a right-handed shot, Mast has already used one Boston defenseman as someone he can model his game after.
"There's definitely a lot of guys I like to watch and learn from," said Mast. "A Bruin that I think is a good one is Brandon Carlo. Similar body types and he's definitely someone I can learn from by watching him."
The Michigan native confirmed his current weight of 215 pounds, with some help coming from his mom's home cooking in Bloomfield Hills over the past year. "Yep," Mast confirmed with a smile and a laugh. "It's good, for sure."

I wonder how many prospects even know who Carlo is. Pretty cool

What kind of question is this? He’s on an NHL team as a top 4 NHL defenseman. I’d say 99% of them know who Brandon Carlo is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad