GDT: 180512 WCF Game 1 @ Jets

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
VGK is not executing on their breakouts. Too much space between the D and F, they are not utilizing their team speed effectively.

Have to get back to playing the way they can. As a 5-man attacking unit.

They also looked like they gave WPG too much respect and could not weather the early storm.

VGK can take this in 7.

Galath

May 12, 2018
Well we only lost by 2..... take not of what went wrong tonight and come out and play Vegas hockey in Game 2.

And the overturn was bogus to put it kindly. As bad as we played overall tonight, we had a bunch of looks right in front of the net that we didn't convert on. If we play a little better than we did for the last 52 minutes of the game, we have a really good chance to take the next game.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Lets be honest, the Jets stopped trying to push play for a long time in the game which made it feel a little closer in the end. I'm not sure if they kept at us for 60 minutes if they wouldn't have gotten at least 1 or 2 more, they were just the better team in almost every way tonight. That wasn't on the officiating or something the Knights did, the better team got the win. They did a lot of things to shut down our time and space and we didn't respond well to them. Funny that's pretty much how things looked every time we lost to the Sharks and frankly what the Jets did to us is what we do to opponents often at home.

So be it, this is the one good thing about opening on the road, you can afford a loss like this. Lose like this at home in game one and you are stuck chasing the series the whole way.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
I would like to know what the **** goalie interference is. No consistency with the war room's calls.

Official press release: "Our team of experts in the Toronto Situation Room will make an objective and unbiased decision, using the finest technology available to render a quick and definitive ruling."

Reality behind the rhetoric:

Gcointoss.gif

"Heads, Winnipeg. Tails, Jets."

Last edited:

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
"After a lengthy video review, the officials ruled that Armia made contact with Fleury, but only after he had already redirected the puck into the net. Therefore, the goal was awarded as Armia did not inhibit Fleury's ability to make the save. "

"At 7:35 of the first period in the Golden Knights/Jets game, video review determined that the puck deflected off of Joel Armia's skate and entered the Vegas net in a legal fashion. According to Rule 49.2 "A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player's skate who does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal." However, the Referee informed the Situation Room that he had "no goal" due to goaltender interference on the play. Winnipeg then requested a Coach's Challenge to review the "Interference on the Goalkeeper" decision that resulted in a "no goal" call. After reviewing all available replays and consulting with the Referee, the Situation Room determined that the contact between Winnipeg's Joel Armia and Vegas goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury occurred after the puck was deflected into the net and, therefore, no goaltender interference infractions occurred."

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Maybe if Fluery did a twirl like Jones did the Knights would get the call. If it takes them that long to make up their minds, the war room should just keep the call on the ice. The NHL wanted to make the game high energy/fast pace and video reviews are killing the NHL.

I don’t understand the love the Lightning get. I believe the Jets are the team to beat and the Kights are the second best team. I wish the Kinghts the best of luck. Your team has is very endearing; I feel like I am watching our era’s “Miracle on Ice”.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Vegas needs to play better. I get that there were bad calls, but Vegas has to adapt to these bad calls. It is not the refs fault that Vegas decided to leave Laine all by himself on the pk.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
We clearly looked like the inferior team. Even the 1st line had serious issues in generating quality shots. Not even touching the 2nd line issues...

Gallant needs to (once again) do his magic to get this fixed. One fix for most problems is to turn up the skating speed, and I'm pretty sure that will also happen. In the last games against Shark this team looked exactly like a greased lightning and it looked amazing.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
"After a lengthy video review, the officials ruled that Armia made contact with Fleury, but only after he had already redirected the puck into the net. Therefore, the goal was awarded as Armia did not inhibit Fleury's ability to make the save. "

"At 7:35 of the first period in the Golden Knights/Jets game, video review determined that the puck deflected off of Joel Armia's skate and entered the Vegas net in a legal fashion. According to Rule 49.2 "A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player's skate who does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal." However, the Referee informed the Situation Room that he had "no goal" due to goaltender interference on the play. Winnipeg then requested a Coach's Challenge to review the "Interference on the Goalkeeper" decision that resulted in a "no goal" call. After reviewing all available replays and consulting with the Referee, the Situation Room determined that the contact between Winnipeg's Joel Armia and Vegas goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury occurred after the puck was deflected into the net and, therefore, no goaltender interference infractions occurred."

Mr. Hockey speaks. Thank you.

That call could have gone either way. It is not as clear cut as you try to make it seem. That's why there has been so much controversy about goaltender interference.

Armia goal waived off for Goaltender Interference, Jets challenge and gets the call. 3-0 Jets - Zodab

Rule 69.3:

If, after any contact by a goalkeeper who is attempting to establish position in his goal crease, the attacking player does not immediately vacate his current position in the goal crease (i.e. give ground to the goalkeeper), and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed. In all such cases, whether or not a goal is scored, the attacking player will receive a minor penalty for goalkeeper interference.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If an attacking player establishes a significant position within the goal crease, so as to obstruct the goalkeeper's vision and impair his ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

Hockeycentral | NHL | NHL Rule 69

So, the no-goal ruling last night contends "the attacking Player's positioning within the goal crease did not impair the goalkeeper's ability to defend his goal and, in fact, had no discernible impact on the play." I disagree.

One penalty does not a series make. The better team won last night. That said, this is the sort of rules controversy that marginalizes the sport.

Last edited:

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Not the ref/war room's fault. This loss was squarely on the Knights. They know this. How they rebound Monday will tell the story. I'm confident they will be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad