18 year old using intermediate flex?

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
I am 18 years old 6' 160lbs. I like to use a stick with a low flex number. My former stick was a 77 flex(i think) intermediate flex bauer vapor XX and i loved it. It is too short cuz i cut it when i first got it and i was wondering how much shorter are the intermediate sticks compared to the seniors? if i were to use a senior it would have to be the lowest flex. would an intermediate stick be a crazy idea for my age and body type? BTW i have been playing hockey for about 7 years. so i would say i am an indermediate player

berzark

Nov 3, 2010
I am 18 years old 6' 160lbs. I like to use a stick with a low flex number. My former stick was a 77 flex(i think) intermediate flex bauer vapor XX and i loved it. It is too short cuz i cut it when i first got it and i was wondering how much shorter are the intermediate sticks compared to the seniors? if i were to use a senior it would have to be the lowest flex. would an intermediate stick be a crazy idea for my age and body type? BTW i have been playing hockey for about 7 years. so i would say i am an indermediate player

Typical intermediate sticks are 57'', senior stick 60''. Stick has nothing to do with age.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Typical intermediate sticks are 57'', senior stick 60''. Stick has nothing to do with age.

I understand that.. age is not really the deciding factor in me getting a intermediate. The body type is why i consider a intermediate. i am only 160 and 6'.. i just tend to like an easy whippy flex
A senior is only 60 inches????that only comes up to my chin/lip area.. what if a guy is 6'4''?

berzark

Nov 3, 2010
I understand that.. age is not really the deciding factor in me getting a intermediate. The body type is why i consider a intermediate. i am only 160 and 6'.. i just tend to like an easy whippy flex
A senior is only 60 inches????that only comes up to my chin/lip area.. what if a guy is 6'4''?

they add stick extensions (wood or composite piece)

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
they add stick extensions (wood or composite piece)

I know there are extensions i used one on my junior stick until i finally gave it for being to small for me. I didnt know they were only 60" though. I would have to get a stick extension no matter what size i get.

berzark

Nov 3, 2010
I know there are extensions i used one on my junior stick until i finally gave it for being to small for me. I didnt know they were only 60" though. I would have to get a stick extension no matter what size i get.

You should be fine with a senior 77 flex stick without an extension

I'm 5'11 and I use a senior stick cut down 1-2 inches. Without cutting it down it goes up to my nose, where for you it would be near your mouth.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Nope. 60" refers to the length from the butt end to the bottom of the heel, but when you stand a stick up straight it doesn't sit on the heel, it sits on the toe, which adds an extra 6ish inches. So a 60" senior stick (not all senior sticks are 60", but that's the standard length) actually comes up to about 66" with the toe on the ground. If you're a forward, or really anyone who puts more emphasis on stick handling and shooting than poke checking, you should use a stick that comes up to somewhere between your chin and your collar bone ON SKATES, if you're 6' tall a 60" stick will come up to about 2" above your chin on skates (too high IMO), while a 57" stick (intermediate) will probably come up to about 1" below below your chin (about right, depends on personal preference).

With your skates off this rule of thumb for stick height roughly goes from "between chin and collar bone with skates on" to roughly "between nose and chin in bare feet." All of this with the stick resting on its toe, completely vertical, and with your legs straight and your head level, not pointing up of down. At your height you should be cutting around 2-4" off a senior (depending on your preference), while an intermediate should already be roughly the right length.

I would say you can probably get by with an intermediate, height wise it should be fine, flex wise it's on the whippy side for sure, but if you like it then that's fine. It'll be a bit less durable than going with a 75-77" flex senior, but also a bit cheaper, so that evens out, and if you like the flex then why not?

*Note: a 77 flex intermediate is whippier than a 77 flex senior, because a senior stick cut down 3" to intermediate height will add about 10 to the flex (so a 77 flex senior cut down to an intermediate height will have a roughly 87 flex).

Last edited:

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
thanks ponder your advice is greatly appreciated. i will likely go with an intermediate if i can find the flex i want. most websites only have 65-67 flex. i would like to get a 77. and i know if i get a 77 senior that i would have to cut it and it would be stiffer than 77. the whole thing about the 60'' to the heel makes much more sense because i knew if i got a senior i would most likely have to cut it because im not a very tall guy

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
*Note: a 77 flex intermediate is whippier than a 77 flex senior, because a senior stick cut down 3" to intermediate height will add about 10 to the flex (so a 77 flex senior cut down to an intermediate height will have a roughly 87 flex).

I think Easton says each 2" cut from top adds 5 flex, while bauer says 10-15 for their sticks.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
I think Easton says each 2" cut from top adds 5 flex, while bauer says 10-15 for their sticks.

what about warrior? Im thinkin about gettin one of the Dolo's with spyne. Also has anyone tried the grip on the warrior's? I tried one of my friends RBK's with grip and i hated it.. too rubbery grippy for me to slide my hand down for a slapper or any hand movement for that matter

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
thanks ponder your advice is greatly appreciated. i will likely go with an intermediate if i can find the flex i want. most websites only have 65-67 flex. i would like to get a 77. and i know if i get a 77 senior that i would have to cut it and it would be stiffer than 77. the whole thing about the 60'' to the heel makes much more sense because i knew if i got a senior i would most likely have to cut it because im not a very tall guy
No problem! You can always go to a store, find a 77 flex stick (preferably of the model you like, IMO not all sticks marked with a given flex actually feel the same), put your top hand about 3" from the top (roughly where it would be if you cut it down), then try flexing it, see how it feels. As a general note, only flex sticks lightly in stores, don't wanna go flexing the crap out of it and ruining it for future customers :)
Yeah it's all a bit vague, but I normally go with 2" cut off = +7 flex as a rule of thumb. Regardless, it doesn't really matter, it's not like you should be leaving a stick too long just to try to preserve some extra flex.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
what about warrior? Im thinkin about gettin one of the Dolo's with spyne. Also has anyone tried the grip on the warrior's? I tried one of my friends RBK's with grip and i hated it.. too rubbery grippy for me to slide my hand down for a slapper or any hand movement for that matter
Go to a store and try it out for sure, bring your gloves with you, I like my sticks super grippy so not necessarily a great person to ask, but I like the Warrior grip. Never used the Spyne myself, but I've heard the spyne thing is a bit of a dumb gimmick, people seem to like normal Warrior Dolo DDs better.

bokchoy

Oct 2, 2010
I hate that stick flexes are designed and marketed that way.

Take Bauer for example:
Int sticks are 67 flex and are shorter in length
Senior sticks are 77+ flex and are longer in length.

It is impossible for someone like the OP to get the flex he wants.
67 will be too short and unusable.
77 will need to be cut short and might turn out to be an 85-90.

I think a 80 flex would be perfect for me, but my choices are basically between 67(Int) or 90(77 cut down).

There are other brands, but same problem regardless.

No problem! You can always go to a store, find a 77 flex stick (preferably of the model you like, IMO not all sticks marked with a given flex actually feel the same), put your top hand about 3" from the top (roughly where it would be if you cut it down), then try flexing it, see how it feels. As a general note, only flex sticks lightly in stores, don't wanna go flexing the crap out of it and ruining it for future customers :)

It doesn't work that way. The flex is constant, no matter where you hold it. Holding it lower won't simulate how stiff it is if you were to cut it down to that length.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
It doesn't work that way. The flex is constant, no matter where you hold it. Holding it lower won't simulate how stiff it is if you were to cut it down to that length.
Not true at all, just think about the physics, putting your top hand lower will simulate the flex of a cut off stick almost perfectly. Why would it matter if there's a bit of extra stick hanging off above your top hand, how a stick flexes is all about the distance between your top hand and bottom hand, and the distance between your bottom hand and the blade. It's not like stick is flexing above your top hand, the extra bit of stick is just sitting there doing nothing, no different than if it were cut off. If you really need to prove this to yourself, try holding your stick super low (put the top hand like 3 feet down from the end), it'll be super hard to flex, just like it would be if you cut 3 feet off the end, because you have way less mechanical advantage.

Last edited:

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
I hate that stick flexes are designed and marketed that way.

Take Bauer for example:
Int sticks are 67 flex and are shorter in length
Senior sticks are 77+ flex and are longer in length.

It is impossible for someone like the OP to get the flex he wants.
67 will be too short and unusable.
77 will need to be cut short and might turn out to be an 85-90.

I think a 80 flex would be perfect for me, but my choices are basically between 67(Int) or 90(77 cut down).

There are other brands, but same problem regardless.

Technically, some companies make INT's in ~75 flex IIRC. I haven't seen any retail stores stock them though.

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
Not true at all, just think about the physics, putting your top hand lower will simulate the flex of a cut off stick almost perfectly. Why would it matter if there's a bit of extra stick hanging off above your top hand, how a stick flexes is all about the distance between your top hand and bottom hand, and the distance between your bottom hand and the blade. It's not like stick is flexing above your top hand, the extra bit of stick is just sitting there doing nothing, no different than if it were cut off. If you really need to prove this to yourself, try holding your stick super low (put the top hand like 3 feet down from the end), it'll be super hard to flex, just like it would be if you cut 3 feet off the end, because you have way less mechanical advantage.

Oh and ^what he said :D

bokchoy

Oct 2, 2010

If you flex the stick this way, the extra stick above your top hand also flexes, despite the fact that your top hand is underneath it.

When you flex your stick, the backhand side of your shaft compresses while the forehand side of your shaft stretches. When you cut your stick short, the ratio between the compression and tension changes and that's why it becomes less flexible. Holding a stick lower doesn't have the same effect,
and isn't a reliable way of knowing how flexible the stick will be if you cut it to that length.

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
If you flex the stick this way, the extra stick above your top hand also flexes, despite the fact that your top hand is underneath it.

When you flex your stick, the backhand side of your shaft compresses while the forehand side of your shaft stretches. When you cut your stick short, the ratio between the compression and tension changes and that's why it becomes less flexible. Holding a stick lower doesn't have the same effect,
and isn't a reliable way of knowing how flexible the stick will be if you cut it to that length.
Any slight change in tension near the top of the stick (where little flex is happening anyways) is negligible compared to the fact that you get more mechanical advantage with your top hand further from the ice, having a longer stick is similar to having more leverage with a longer lever. Seriously, just try this with your own stick at home, move your top hand way down and try flexing the stick, it's WAY harder to do, despite all this tension mumbo jumbo you bring up. When choking up like crazy, you will also notice that the stick flexes a lot between your top hand and the ground, but above your top hand the stick is close to perfectly straight. Sticks are made to flex either in the middle or near the blade (depending on the taper), even below your top hand there's not a tonne of flex/curvature, above your top hand there's virtually no curvature at all, so it really does not make much of a difference if there's 1" of stick or 6" of stick beyond your top hand. Obviously choking up on the stick doesn't simulate the flex of a cut down stick absolutely perfectly, but it's very close, certainly good enough to get an idea of how a stick will feel when you cut it down.

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
At your height 75-85 flex is the norm, but don't get too hung up on the numbers. Just use what feels right. Best thing you can do is try out different flexes and use what works best for you.

If you're looking for something between 65 intermediate and 75 senior, there are some companies that do 75 flex intermediates, Bauer, Base, and possibly Warrior off the top of my head. You'll probably have to add a plug.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad