Post-Game Talk: #18: Nov. 17, 2016: Jets 2 at Flyers 5

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I had to ref a basketball doubleheader last night, so I missed the game. Plan to watch it today. So, does Hak go against his philosophy of sticking with the same lineup after a win? He alluded to the fact Ghost would probably be back after one game out. How crazy will everyone get if he does stick with Thursday's group against Tampa on Saturday?

This will be fun to see.

We were pretty much dominated and bailed out by a combo of great goaltending on our end and poor goaltending/bad reffing on the other. If Hakstol can't see that and instead is satisfied with the W and wants to "keep things the same" then he just further validates his stupidity.

Fortunately MacDonald had one of those games where he didn't have to play the puck often but when he was in the area to make plays, he was abysmal as always.

Can someone find a GIF of him whiffing on a wrist shot in the 1st and falling forward while skating backwards in the 2nd?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Dog was horrid, so imagine your boy is eating popcorn Sat afternoon.

If coach re watched that game and decides that lineup should stay,,,, :help:

Exactly. Manning, Provy, MacDonald and Del Zotto were all especially bad. Streit was quiet outside his goal and Gudas was a beast. We were hemmed in our zone more than usual, probably because the guy who is easily our best PMD was in a suit instead of a uniform.

But we did dodge the bullet and hopefully Hak comes to his senses and feels his message was received.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Again, I know Provy struggled. I said that in the GDT and the PGT. He's been really good lately though. A-Mac hasn't been good since birth.

If that 2nd link is of him taking a slapshot off of a faceoff into the opponents shin pads I will go ahead and not click that because you're being dumb lol

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hak says: Better to have a shot blocked out in front than to miss the net entirely like :ghost2:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hak says: Better to have a shot blocked out in front than to miss the net entirely like :ghost2:

Yeah because we know that it's uncommon for a point shot that's blocked to end up going the other way in an odd man rush. Versus a shot that misses the net, which has never bounced back in front and resulted in a goal.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah because we know that it's uncommon for a point shot that's blocked to end up going the other way in an odd man rush. Versus a shot that misses the net, which has never bounced back in front and resulted in a goal.

I have to assume he is just bustin' balls at this point, Lol.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Did you seriously just cite MacDonald shooting the puck into shin pads for a fortunate bounce to Simmonds as evidence of him "making a play in the offensive zone"?

Pretty sure he is just trying to get under my skin.

Mission accomplished.

:laugh:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I am convinced that the Gostisbehere benching reflects Hextall and Hakstol's long-term view. Because his play was far below his potential, they wanted him to be able to reset and reflect. Players like VdV and Manning don't get that treatment because, as I believe, they are playing at their ceiling. And veteran players like Streit and MacDonald have hit their peaks.

You keep the underachieving A student in at lunch to encourage him/her to do better, not the C-minus student getting Cs.

It also indicates that the benching isn't punitive.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I am convinced that the Gostisbehere benching reflects Hextall and Hakstol's long-term view. Because his play was far below his potential, they wanted him to be able to reset and reflect. Players like VdV and Manning don't get that treatment because, as I believe, they are playing at their ceiling. And veteran players like Streit and MacDonald have hit their peaks.

You keep the underachieving A student in at lunch to encourage him/her to do better, not the C-minus student getting Cs.

It also indicates that the benching isn't punitive.
Exactly.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If Manning and Vandevelde are at their peaks then they need to be replaced ASAP. The only reason I could see him keeping them in is that he thinks they're going to get better.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Shin pad one timers were my major complaint of the Richards/Carter core era. The amount of Richards' pass and shot attempts from the right boards was insane.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
One of the reason Ghost does miss the net wide is because he is determined to not get his shot blocked up high. Shot-blockers (on most teams) are so damn good at getting in lanes nowadays. I'd rather a shot miss than be blocked 100% of the time.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
If Manning and Vandevelde are at their peaks then they need to be replaced ASAP. The only reason I could see him keeping them in is that he thinks they're going to get better.

Maybe, maybe not. I agree with you, but I don't think that line of logic is shared by the Flyers' FO. For one, Hextall seems loathe to risk losing assets through waiver. And Hakstol is either content with the mediocrity these players provide in the roles he has assigned them, or he is building for himself a sizeable body of evidence to show they aren't up to the task. Please don't ask me to defend this, though, since I am as baffled as most here. :sarcasm:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
One of the reason Ghost does miss the net wide is because he is determined to not get his shot blocked up high. Shot-blockers (on most teams) are so damn good at getting in lanes nowadays. I'd rather a shot miss than be blocked 100% of the time.

The Weise miss in the third last night is a good example of when a block is better result than a missed shot... Though, there was no one between Weise and the net in this case...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad