18/19 MGMT Thread X: This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The context of the quote wasn't about suggesting the Canucks were going to be dominant, now you're being intentionally obtuse. It was about the media talking up a team, that never went anywhere. Media talking up a team means NOTHING. But you moved the goalposts with "who said dominance".

You do that type of thing a lot. You rarely address the point, then stand on a soap box about negative long time posters and gillis. And then you complain about it the discourse. It's ironic.
Did I not address the point here .."When you've been gifted multiple 1st OA's and a generational talent..,that kind of press is to be expected."...??

Boy,and you dont think that your righteous posting is equally annoying...?..Seriously.

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018
I started my account in 2009, you guys starting your accounts during Benning’s tenure just to back him up.
wow were you like 9 in 2009? so much credibility

I mean you are calling out people for going to the ends of the earth to defend a person they dont know, but here some of you guys are posting 10s of thousands of times (literally the same tripe over and over again) . What do you got, 55,000 posts...yeah you are not obsessed. some of you anti-benningites have even put up money via go fund me to create a bill board to get the guy canned. Yet here you are mocking others...LOL.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
wow were you like 9 in 2009? so much credibility

I mean you are calling out people for going to the ends of the earth to defend a person they dont know, but here some of you guys are posting 10s of thousands of times (literally the same tripe over and over again) . What do you got, 55,000 posts...yeah you are not obsessed. some of you anti-benningites have even put up money via go fund me to create a bill board to get the guy canned. Yet here you are mocking others...LOL.

The idea that I have 55,000 posts based on Jim Benning alone is absolutely insane.

I actually was one of the few people on here in 2014 that didn’t absolutely hate Benning and the most I’ve ever posted during his tenure was during that 2014/2015 tenure.

The idea that people that are critical of management of their proffessional sports team being viewed equally as people like someone like Pastor who’s account is literally based around backing up Benning is insane.

If Jim Benning was fired tomorrow I wouldn’t care about him at all. I care about the state of the Vancouver Canucks not Jim Benning.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Lots of people didn’t hate Benning when he was originally hired. Most didn’t actually. But he almost immediately made a bunch of terrible moves and then continuously doubled down with more terrible moves.

I was and still am a big Gillis fan but I was excited about hiring a new GM who was a supposed Draft Guru. That lasted up until the Garrison and Kessler trades which probably don’t even crack his top-10 worst moves. Passing on Tkachuck is one of the worst moves I can think of from a Canucks GM in the past 15 years. We’ve been searching for that exact power forward since Bertuzzi and had him on a silver platter.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Did I not address the point here .."When you've been gifted multiple 1st OA's and a generational talent..,that kind of press is to be expected."...??

Boy,and you dont think that your righteous posting is equally annoying...?..Seriously.
I address peoples points, if that's righteous and annoying, what are you here for....this is a discussion forum.

Reactions: geebaan

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
I'd say the biggest turning point for fans opinion of Jim Benning was the extensions given to Sbisa and Dorsett. Everything before that was largely positive or at least cautiously optimistic.

Certainly was for me....

Reactions: geebaan

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
The idea that I have 55,000 posts based on Jim Benning alone is absolutely insane.

I actually was one of the few people on here in 2014 that didn’t absolutely hate Benning and the most I’ve ever posted during his tenure was during that 2014/2015 tenure.

The idea that people that are critical of management of their proffessional sports team being viewed equally as people like someone like Pastor who’s account is literally based around backing up Benning is insane.

If Jim Benning was fired tomorrow I wouldn’t care about him at all. I care about the state of the Vancouver Canucks not Jim Benning.

Don't bother. Most people that still think Benning is doing a good job basically cling to Pettersson and Boeser as positives, and lump all of his mistakes as a combination of bad luck and learning on the job. If 5 years isn't enough time he never should have been hired in the first place.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
But that's my point, you skirt peoples points regularly and move the goal posts.
Disagree,..obviously,..every positive comment is attacked here..Do you honestly believe this thread is grounded in reality?..

You dont like my point of view ,the ignore feature is your friend.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Disagree,..obviously,..every positive comment is attacked here..Do you honestly believe this thread is grounded in reality?..
People are here for discussion "positive or negative" is not something I pay much attention to. I engage what I feel like discussing. You probably think I'm negative....I don't think I am.

Anyways, we're not here to talk about ourselves.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Lots of people didn’t hate Benning when he was originally hired. Most didn’t actually. But he almost immediately made a bunch of terrible moves and then continuously doubled down with more terrible moves.

I was and still am a big Gillis fan but I was excited about hiring a new GM who was a supposed Draft Guru. That lasted up until the Garrison and Kessler trades which probably don’t even crack his top-10 worst moves. Passing on Tkachuck is one of the worst moves I can think of from a Canucks GM in the past 15 years. We’ve been searching for that exact power forward since Bertuzzi and had him on a silver platter.
I 'member the worst thing we had to discuss was Ryan Miller's signing.

Reactions: PM and TruKnyte

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Don't bother. Most people that still think Benning is doing a good job basically cling to Pettersson and Boeser as positives, and lump all of his mistakes as a combination of bad luck and learning on the job. If 5 years isn't enough time he never should have been hired in the first place.
So, are you also referring to most analysts and experts within the media who believe that Benning has this team on the right track...?

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
So, are you also referring to most analysts and experts within the media who believe that Benning has this team on the right track...?

Sure, if the reason why they say Benning is doing a good job is based on Pettersson/Boeser and/or bad luck/learning on the job.

Feel free to reference any of these analysts and experts if you want.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Haha well I think part of the reason HFCanucks is so negative is because, well, we're not very good!

I'll admit I find many of the kids quite entertaining. I think the world of old vets like Edler & Tanev. I've liked Markstrom for years and am beyond thrilled to see him coming into his own..... I constantly tell my non-Canuck fan friends how much more I enjoy the games these days.....

....all that said, I can seem *negative* because I can't help but feel like things could be so much better!! Case in point - instead of potentially throwing around ridiculous amounts of money & term at UFAs this summer in an effort to bolster our top six and hoping Juolevi puts it together at the NHL level, we could be fretting about Matthew Tkachuk's next contract and how to allocate money to pay all our kids. And I say that as someone who actually LIKES Juolevi and is willing to be patient with the kid. Just that constant, nagging feeling that this management team will drop the ball....

Believe me, I'd like nothing more than to be *positive*, to have a rosy picture of our future. But I can't help but feel any success this team has will be because it staggered into it like a drunken insect DESPITE management

And that, ladies & gentlemen, is my impassioned rant of the day ;)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Sure, if the reason why they say Benning is doing a good job is based on Pettersson/Boeser and/or bad luck/learning on the job.

Feel free to reference any of these analysts and experts if you want.
Nobody is absolving him of his past mistakes either..There was a reason he got a 2-3 deal instead of a 5 year one.

The Canucks have been a 'positive' media story this season...for a number of reasons..Not just EP/Boeser.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
No you took one piece of what the poster wrote and then said "who's expecting the canucks to be dominant", completely neglecting the points he was making.

You do it a lot.

In fairness to PoM, what else is he going to do? His main objective has to be to obfuscate and strawman better arguments. There's no leverage in making a weaker point against a better argument, after all.

If you were to take every MGMT discussion made here and condense it to the following, PoM really has nowhere else to go:

1. Drafting - If poster X thinks his drafting is anything above average, introduce the Potato. This usually weeds out the weaker arguments. And for those savvy enough to attack the Potato, it usually results in acknowledging Benning's drafting against said baseline. Win-win.

2. Trades - If the best case is middling here, and people cannot reconcile his Pro Scouting work across the board (Trades and Signings), then what's the remaining argument really?

3. Signings - A dog's breakfast of a resume. Benning has some of the worst value to cap hit signings among NHL GMs. The best argument I've seen here is "well, at least he hasn't made a crippling signing and they still have cap space". Well, if that's your bar, nearly any GM will do.

In summary, this is what PoM faces. It's no wonder he's delved to the level of not addressing any of the arguments head on and in good faith. He really can't because they have already been explored and addressed.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Haha well I think part of the reason HFCanucks is so negative is because, well, we're not very good!

I'll admit I find many of the kids quite entertaining. I think the world of old vets like Edler & Tanev. I've liked Markstrom for years and am beyond thrilled to see him coming into his own..... I constantly tell my non-Canuck fan friends how much more I enjoy the games these days.....

....all that said, I can seem *negative* because I can't help but feel like things could be so much better!! Case in point - instead of potentially throwing around ridiculous amounts of money & term at UFAs this summer in an effort to bolster our top six and hoping Juolevi puts it together at the NHL level, we could be fretting about Matthew Tkachuk's next contract and how to allocate money to pay all our kids. And I say that as someone who actually LIKES Juolevi and is willing to be patient with the kid. Just that constant, nagging feeling that this management team will drop the ball....

Believe me, I'd like nothing more than to be *positive*, to have a rosy picture of our future. But I can't help but feel any success this team has will be because it staggered into like a drunken insect DESPITE management

And that, ladies & gentlemen, is my impassioned rant of the day ;)
Awesome..arent the Flames playing tonight?

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
In fairness to PoM, what else is he going to do? His main objective has to be obfuscate and strawman better arguments. There's no leverage in making a weaker point against a better argument, after all.

If you were to take every MGMT discussion made here and condense it to the following, PoM really has nowhere else to go:

1. Drafting - If poster X thinks his drafting is anything above average, introduce the Potato. This usually weeds out the weaker arguments. And for those savvy enough to attack the Potato, it usually results in acknowledging Benning's drafting against said baseline. Win-win.

2. Trades - If the best case is middling here, and people cannot reconcile his Pro Scouting work across the board (Trades and Signings), then what's the remaining argument really?

3. Signings - A dog's breakfast of a resume. Benning has some of the worst value to cap hit signings among NHL GMs. The best argument I've seen here is "well, at least he hasn't made a crippling signing and they still have cap space". Well, if that's your bar, nearly any GM will do.

In summary, this is what PoM faces. It's no wonder he's delved to the level of not addressing any of the arguments head on and in good faith. He really can't because they have already been explored and addressed.

I have to think it's a gimmick account at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad