18/19 MGMT thread VII. WARNING POST #25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolan Bombgardener

Dec 23, 2005
Benning himself said, he can get an NHL player with every pick. So results for those picks should be awesome

So you think words speak louder than action? So what JB said this and that, the action in the draft proves that JB does not love picks and cannot get an NHL player with every pick.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I think I am living rent free in a lot of people brain right now.

It's just a hockey forum.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I think I am living rent free in a lot of people brain right now.

It's just a hockey forum.
This article sums up me feelings about thst phrase:

deadspin.com/on-subletting-headspace-at-no-cost-1830140076

The user of the phrase is conceding that the argument isn’t the point. The aspirational head-tenant has dropped the pretense of argument altogether, freeing themselves to simply point out that the involved parties hate each other, and hate takes headspace. In that sense, sure, it is the “perfect” insult of our times. But it almost makes you wish for the quainter days of internet abuse.
As a remark, “rent-free” is totally devoid of content, not even reaching the level of a burn or own. Which is telling: the standard of discourse has sunk below the level of bare fact, below reckless opinion, below even a nice spicy ad hominem. Those would all require too much creative juice or fine-tuning. At this point, merely gesturing at the fact that you have been having the conversation at all qualifies as a trump card for certain people, e.g. terminally red doofuses pulsing with the dammed-up sensation of not having eaten a vegetable in eight months. It is for people who do not want to provoke you with any particular fact so much as they want you to notice that they have been provoking you for a while. Just empty provocations all the way down.

Reactions: KingOfTheES

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
This article sums up me feelings about thst phrase:

deadspin.com/on-subletting-headspace-at-no-cost-1830140076

Be careful. You having to point this out means that he's living rent-free in your brain as well :sarcasm:

And now he's living rent-free in my brain because I contributed to this discussion as well. I'm so confused.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Be careful. You having to point this out means that he's living rent-free in your brain as well :sarcasm:

And now he's living rent-free in my brain because I contributed to this discussion as well. I'm so confused.

Thankfully his brain has a lot of space in which to live.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Regardless of the naysayers who will nitpick every move under a microscope on the whole Benning has built a DAMN exciting team to watch that I can feel proud to cheer for. They work so hard and they’re hard to play against and now they’re showing a lot of speed and skill and winner’s attitudes. Exciting young team to watch with great leadership. Everyone from around the league talks about how we’re an up and coming team and how we will be a scary team in a couple short years and I can’t help but agree. Have the Canucks under the leadership of Linden and, to a lesser extent, Benning and Weisbrod made mistakes? Of course no one is perfect. But have Benning and Weisbrod learned from that? It’s pretty clear to me they have considering the trades and signings and picks they have made in the recent past have pretty much all been good except for maybe a few that were more in the “meh” column then bad.

Reactions: nowhereman

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
By the way. The biggest criticism of Benning that I see repeated over and over again is when he said “I like this team and we can turn it around in a hurry” and holding it up against with the 25th-29th place finishes in the past few seasons.

What needs to be clearly defined is what Benning meant by “this” because clearly he meant the roster of 2013-2014 Vancouver Canucks. THAT team was possible to turn around in a hurry which did happen because they went to the playoffs from finishing 25th the year previous.

So Benning was correct and didn’t contradict himself at all.

The 2015-2016 Canucks were a different ontological entity than the 2013-2014 Canucks and therefore were exempt from the statement that Benning made in 2014.

Reactions: timbermen

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
By the way. The biggest criticism of Benning that I see repeated over and over again is when he said “I like this team and we can turn it around in a hurry” and holding it up against with the 25th-29th place finishes in the past few seasons.

What needs to be clearly defined is what Benning meant by “this” because clearly he meant the roster of 2013-2014 Vancouver Canucks. THAT team was possible to turn around in a hurry which did happen because they went to the playoffs from finishing 25th the year previous.

The 2015-2016 Canucks were a different ontological entity than the 2013-2014 Canucks and therefore were exempt from the statement that Benning made in 2014.
Seems to be Peter10's 'one size fits all' quote for everything....

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

Ah yes, the Gillis team turned it around.
However, the Benning teams have been dreadful.

What has Benning done to instill confidence in anyone that he can get effective depth players/quality players in FA or trades. That's not even touching the defense.

The most impactful young defenseman that is currently on the roster is a Gillis pick in Hutton.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
And if none of JB's pick will be better than those garbage, why is he regarded as a good drafting GM, and more importantly WHAT IS HE ACTUALLY GOOD AT!?
Well,he IS on an 11 trade win streak, even if they weren't blockbuster trades, they improved the team. The drafting has looked pretty good to me. The Beagle and Rousell signings are helping this team .He signed Stecher and Hutton and they are playing good. Virtanen is progressing and it's ridiculous to write off Juolevi at the age of 20.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I think he's trying to be smug that his "arguments" are so blatantly wrong if not outright intentional lies that people spend a lot of time picking them apart.

Reactions: geebaan and MS

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Well,he IS on an 11 trade win streak, even if they weren't blockbuster trades, they improved the team. The drafting has looked pretty good to me. The Beagle and Rousell signings are helping this team .He signed Stecher and Hutton and they are playing good. Virtanen is progressing and it's ridiculous to write off Juolevi at the age of 20.
Still banging on that drum eh? How do you even determine a "winner" in some of these trades? Vanek for Motte + Jokinen? Pouliot for Pedan + 4th (I rather have the pick than either player)? Leipsic for Holm (seems odd to call anybody a "winner" on this one, no?)? Larsen for a pick (again I rather have the pick)? Etc etc.
He "signed" Hutton, way to give him credit on that one lol. A guy he didn't draft, who was a RFA with no leverage, who somehow got a big raise that seemed unnecessary on a bridge deal...

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.

Ridiculous goal post moving aside, how exactly do you know this ?

On top of that, if Jim Benning is magically exempt from his comment now, then what in the world has he been doing since ? He signed Loui Eriksson and traded futures for Erik Gudbranson in 2016. He also signed Gagner and Del-Zotto to multi-year deals in 2017. He then signed multiple fourth line players to multi-year deals this offseason. Is he still not desperately trying to "turn the team around" ?

Also I do love the meaning behind what you've said. The team that Jim Benning inherited from Gillis was the team that could be turned around quickly. But not the team that he himself had started to put his mark on. Fantastic analysis and pretty spot on.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Ridiculous goal post moving aside, how exactly do you know this ?

On top of that, if Jim Benning is magically exempt from his comment now, then what in the world has he been doing since ? He signed Loui Eriksson and traded futures for Erik Gudbranson in 2016. He also signed Gagner and Del-Zotto to multi-year deals in 2017. He then signed multiple fourth line players to multi-year deals this offseason. Is he still not desperately trying to "turn the team around" ?

Also I do love the meaning behind what you've said. The team that Jim Benning inherited from Gillis was the team that could be turned around quickly. But not the team that he himself had started to put his mark on. Fantastic analysis and pretty spot on.
Please see post #638.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011

What was so drastically different about the two teams that caused such a big drop in performance? It sounded like Benning's moves made the team worse off that offseason.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Like it or not, the kids have saved Benning's job. It's probably never been more secure than it is now. No chance he gets fired with how Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Goldobin and Virtanen are performing. Plus Hughes coming in next year and you have to imagine he has at least a few years of job security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia