Prospect Info: 17OA: Axel Sandin Pellikka

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Gibson is not eligable to play in the AHL and you forgot Buium

For whatever reason I thought Gibson was old enough. He'll probably join the team at the end of the year if they make the playoffs.

And yeah, add Buium. That should make for a pretty good top 4 in GR. And also likely another year of Cossa and Kasper. If they can get some AHL vet scorer to replace Berggren then the team should be ok. Probably not Calder cup contenders but they should be back in the postseason.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Defense next year in GR will be fine. They'll not "probably" add an AHL vet, they'll definitely have a second AHL vet and probably a third, perhaps bringing back Didier (who wore the 'C' this year) and/or Simek.

The Griffins will be at least competitive again next season even without Berggren, Edvinsson, AlJo and possibly Kasper. There's always some veteran turnover but they'll want to bring back 2-3 of Czarnik, Hriose, Luff, L'Esperance and replace those who don't come back with similar quality. There will be dozens of AHL free agent vets this summer, as always. No trouble making the expanded playoffs and this year is a good reminder of how useful a couple playoff series wins can be for prospect development.

Reactions: lilidk

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
He really is the definition of needing to get bigger an stronger via the aging and gym process. He is a Makar like player. He won't e out there on the PK and the bigger forwards will give him trouble but his skill set translates to the NHL. I see him as a #4 with a big partner.

Still two years away from the NHL.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He really is the definition of needing to get bigger an stronger via the aging and gym process. He is a Makar like player. He won't e out there on the PK and the bigger forwards will give him trouble but his skill set translates to the NHL. I see him as a #4 with a big partner.

Makar was also 20 when he has his first NHL season

Reactions: heyfolks

Twinger

Sep 28, 2017

Add in PP QB and I'll take that all day

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
100% agree. This core D will be Mo, Simon, Johansson as the big boy anchors, with Walman, ASP, and TBD. On the PK, you'll see the big boys lined up.
Albert Johansson is small and at this point Albert is closer to and more likely to make the NHL than Anton (although Albert is far from a blue chip prospect)

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I think with some development and experience Johansson could replace Walman as at least an equal.
Which one?
Over the last 2 years Walman leads the league in ES goals/60 for d-man who have scored 10 or more ES goals. He is an elite shooter from the point but doesn't read the play quick enough or have the deceptiveness to be a good PP QB

NHL Stats

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Which one?
Over the last 2 years Walman leads the league in ES goals/60 for d-man who have scored 10 or more ES goals. He is an elite shooter from the point but doesn't read the play quick enough or have the deceptiveness to be a good PP QB

NHL Stats

I don't think his shot is elite from the point. He scores almost always by taking some strides nearer the net, going after better scoring areas.

Imo, that's what all defencemen should do...

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
See: Filip Hronek.

Starting to think @OgeeOgelthorpe has an issue with offensive defensemen.

I was pounding the drum for Wallinder at the draft, and have been cheerleading for him since 2020. My critique of him has been pretty consistent as well; terrific skating, excellent shot, will take 4+ years to make it to the NHL, too casual when defending, and needs to be more physical and assertive.

These things are all still true of Wallinder. When Wallinder is on he can dominate a game but is inconsistent in effort game to game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad