GDT: 170926 vs Kings 7pm - first home game

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I thought Tuch and Theodore were the best players tonight. Shipachyov has a couple nice flashes. Sbisa was pretty good as a gritty stay at home defenseman. None of the rest were really noticeable to me.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Pulkinnen looks next to useless out there.

I also wasn't crazy about how Nosek played. He's got hustle but he fumbles the puck around.

I do think Theodore can force himself onto the team. His defense is still suspect at times but he plays with more poise than he did in the past. He carried himself in this game like he's seen the crucible of the NHL playoffs so I could see it

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Looked like one of those games that were "lost" before the game started. Just lack of preparation, game went exact same as our pre-season home opener against Wild's B team. Come out with jump and score 1st, you think you got it in the bag and rest of the game is painful to watch.

Caught first glimpse of the Knights playing and in a game like that it can be tough to judge players.. but i thought Theodore at times looked pretty good, Schmidt's skating is still top notch (dat OT tho lol) and Haula stood out for me. Also thought Shipachyov brought some needed skill but they've got to find some guys with chemistry for him. Still not sure how his game translates, seems kind of soft on pucks and sometimes had the gliding mode on without the puck.

I don't know about Pulkkinen.. he's still so ineffective.. can't see him sticking for too long. Engelland is going to be a trainwreck against NHL teams.

And it's still hard to believe Sbisa is making almost 4M bucks and they actually picked him.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I thought Perron was pretty good had a couple of good chances.

I hope they have a more energetic goal horn for the next game, I know they are trialing a few over the preseason, it was just flat and un exciting. Loved the crowd they were nice and pumped up, can't wait for the home opener.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I haven't seen Perron play too much being an Eastern conference fan, but isn't he a pretty physical guy?

I know full well his offensive inconsistencies, so as long as he's contributing in other ways I could live with that. Ideally, he's probably a guy that plays on the 3rd line as secondary scoring on a contender.

The way Tuch has played, he would be very good on Ship's wing as a guy who does the dirty work and still has a scoring touch. March-Ship-Tuch would be a good combo until Neal returns or even after on paper.

And that was just absolutely ECHL from Schmidt. Soft on the puck, and the worst part is he had his partner behind him the whole time waiting for a drop pass or a bounce off the boards behind him. Worst case scenario he should've chipped it up the strong side boards.

If that is the regular for him, he is going to have to be paired with Garrison who is stronger on the puck and better defensively.

Last edited:

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Also, does it sound like this place hits as well as it does?

So much bass.

Not sure if you're complimenting it or not....but they really need to turn the volume down on the sound system. :amazed: WAAAAAAAY too loud & the bass was completely distorted. I was deaf before the game started.

I will say the arena is awesome for hockey.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
And it's still hard to believe Sbisa is making almost 4M bucks and they actually picked him.

Could be one of the guys the VGK got (additional) assets to take specific player via expansion draft. (IOW prospects, picks for guy)

(They do have to make the cap floor too.)

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Pulkinnen looks next to useless out there.

I also wasn't crazy about how Nosek played. He's got hustle but he fumbles the puck around.

I do think Theodore can force himself onto the team. His defense is still suspect at times but he plays with more poise than he did in the past. He carried himself in this game like he's seen the crucible of the NHL playoffs so I could see it

I came to a similar conclusion about pulk when he was in Arizona, but he didn't get a ton of time so it's hard to be sure. That's why we were so happy when it was him, not Domingue who got taken. Not that I think Domingue is likely to be anything more than a fringe starter or solid backup, but he was by far the best piece we exposed imo. Then again its not like Vegas was in need of more goalies, so I guess you roll the dice on a scorer.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I hope they have a more energetic goal horn for the next game, I know they are trialing a few over the preseason, it was just flat and un exciting.

All they have to do is go to somewhere like San Diego and rip a fog horn off a ship or lighthouse.

Problem solved.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
random thots about last night
-the crew on the nhl feed need to shape up. I know it's only preseason but set your white balance and 5 each for fighting does not mean 5 minutes of 4 on 4. You better bring it next time. *shakes fist*
-Tuch, Ship, Miller and Theodore were the best players
-Nosek, Carrier, Engelland and Merrill had strong games as well
-everybody already knew this but Gallant seems like a terrific coach. Forward lines mesh well no matter who plays, defense cross over seamlessly, forwards and D helping out when someone is out of position and that PP setup looks great. But we'll see when the games matter.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Got from my house in Scummerlin to the lobby of T-MA in 40 minutes.

Parking was easy, walk from Excalibur was whatever. Need more concessions and bathrooms, but it's not too bad.

They're using their weird greenish logo on the scoreboard most of the time.

Place has a lot of bass. I can see why some would complain, but I loved it.

As soon as I think Perron sucks he does something good.

Alex Tuch is my dude.

People on the center red line can't get TOI/players on ice info anywhere.

The wave sucks.

They didn't announce when a penalty was killed/a team was at full strength.

Our fans are late in identifying penalties and will wait for the announcement to boo.

Overall, it was awesome.

Reactions: MordredGK

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Alex Tuch is your dude BattleBorn?

Tomas Hyka is mine. Bring it on! :cheers: can we bet a brewski online? Or only via PMs? :naughty:

Looking forward to the regular season!

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Bring on the regular season, I say:

Bearpens.gif

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
Concessions were terrible. I waited until 10 minutes left in the 1st period to get something figuring the lines would be shorter, but nope...missed the rest of the period and decided to bail before I even got served. They didn't have enough registers open and couldn't get food out fast enough.

A buddy of mine was in a luxury box and got us in for the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad