170918 update on TV access for VGK games, blackouts

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
It is incredibly bizarre the NHL enforces blackout rules for a road game or a sold out home game. I get it if another network available to customers is showing the game, you black it out, but there is no available channel and your actions are doing zero to pad your bottom line or that of your owners why would you insist on a blackout? And seriously its an NFL Sunday when you are going to get next to nothing viewership anyways, this was a chance to actually get people to watch an exhibition game and not a highly followed NFL game because some people in Vegas are showing they care for the new team and wanted to see their first match.

Yet the NHL blows it. Amazing.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
For those who do get the game on NHL Network, the Golden Knights-Avalanche game is listed as airing at 11 p.m. Pacific time tonight.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
That's the way NHL TV contracts are written. If local broadcaster has it, that's the only place to watch it.

(#1 complaint to NHL commish Bettman when he had he radio call in show.)

Really a pain that Cox doesn't even carry channel and has to impose.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I still believe the GK's are dumb for not picking a channel the market they are moving to has access to

I kind of get it.

If they picked something here, they'd have had to share with a California team. Plus, it seems like it's a lot easier to get one channel on in Las Vegas on all the providers versus getting a channel on in Salt Lake, Boise, Billings, etc. on all of their providers. Plus, the people in Las Vegas are going to be the more avid fans, so they'll have public support to get the game in LV, something they'd likely not have in a place like Boise.

It's a decently smart business move logistically, it's just not going as smoothly as I'm sure they thought it would with Cox.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
You'd think since COX had the Vegas Ice documentary on it's network, they would be eager to provide the ROOT R.M. channel to it's subscribers, well ahead of the regular season. Either the $ numbers aren't to COX's liking, or they're pissed about VGK not going with an established channel that they already have a contract with, and they're making it difficult. Either way, Knights fans will be suffering. :shakehead

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
You'd think since COX had the Vegas Ice documentary on it's network, they would be eager to provide the ROOT R.M. channel to it's subscribers, well ahead of the regular season. Either the $ numbers aren't to COX's liking, or they're pissed about VGK not going with an established channel that they already have a contract with, and they're making it difficult. Either way, Knights fans will be suffering. :shakehead

I'd probably be on Cox's side and assume that AT&T was asking to much money, except that Centurylink came on board. That means the fees must be somewhat reasonable and Cox is just trying not to pay whatever they're asking.

Hopefully they figure it out soon. I'm a Playstation Vue kind of person, so I'm probably left out for a while either way and will have to make a move soon.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
I'd probably be on Cox's side and assume that AT&T was asking to much money, except that Centurylink came on board. That means the fees must be somewhat reasonable and Cox is just trying not to pay whatever they're asking.

Hopefully they figure it out soon. I'm a Playstation Vue kind of person, so I'm probably left out for a while either way and will have to make a move soon.

I hear ya. I'm now living in Bremerton, Washington with DirecTV, so, I don't have to worry about the broadcasting dilemma. It was a real treat to see & hear Dave & The Sheriff call the 1st ever VGK game on Sunday. Looking forward to the regular season.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Truly amazing to this day you are still forced to have cable.

Cable is dead, and the NHL needs to move into the modern era with the streaming services.

I would gladly pay an up charge on NHL Center Ice for the ability to watch the ****ing games.

I had no idea how ****** this was being an Ottawa fan living in Washington / Indiana / Nevada. Blackouts didn't mean anything to me outside of Nationally televised games.

ronthemailman

Oct 23, 2016
Las Vegas
Really don't understand why people have Cox instead of Directv..when I switched 5 years ago, think Directv was about $5.00 more for equal service...and being from San Francisco, could watch Warriors, Giants and A's on their most basic package

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Since the merger with AT&T, DTV is no better than the other companies out there. I was a long time customer and I noticed a change. Gave them the boot.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Someone spell this out to me because I really don't get it..

The game is in Anaheim, I am in Vegas, and it's blacked out on center ice. What am I missing...? I thought it was home games / nationally televised only.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Someone spell this out to me because I really don't get it..

The game is in Anaheim, I am in Vegas, and it's blacked out on center ice. What am I missing...? I thought it was home games / nationally televised only.

It's the Ducks broadcast. The Ducks and Kings no longer have Vegas as part of their local market so all of their broadcasts will be blacked out. If AT&T were broadcasting tonight we'd get the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad