17 year anniversary team

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So I was looking for some info in old threads and came across this guy:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=277692

Coyotes decade team. So lets do it for 17th, cause why not and the off season is boring :laugh:

Same rules apply.
1. Only consider their performance while on the Coyotes.
2. Try and match the player to the position (don't put Mike Smith as backup for example).
3. Jets era does not count.

So how much does it change from the old thread? Based on our recent relative success quite a bit IMO.

Mine:
Tkachuk - Roenick - Doan (The same)
Nagy - Hanzal - Vrbata (would have made a great line)
Korpikoski - Briere - Drake
Pyatt - Gordon - ???

Numminen - Yandle
Morris - Michalek
Suchy - Klesla

Bryz
Tellqvist.

I expect the Bryz pick to be controversial :laugh: But until Smith can put together more than one good season I have to give it to Bryz over him. Burke had two phenomenal seasons but Bryz had 3.

Right now I think it's Bryz, Burke, Smith, Khabibulin, Joseph, Boucher. With the playoff run elevating Smith over Khabibulin.

The other really tough one was Nagy vs Whitney for the 2nd line LW spot. Ultimately I went with Nagy due to the GP edge but you can't go wrong with either.

For OEL, well I don't think he's done enough to usurp one of the top 2 spots. Yandle's 10-11 season + his longevity gives him that other top paring spot IMO. Obviously no one tops Numminen at this point. And since OEL doesn't really qualify for a bottom 4 role I think he has to be left off for now.

I'm sure you guys will tell me where I forgot something :snide:

EDIT: Oh I'm pretty well stumped on the 4th line RW spot. Not a lot of good options: Wilson, Radivojevic, Letowski :dunno:

Last edited:

Rutkowski

Jul 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
Tkachuk-Roenick-Doan
Whitney-Hanzal-Vrbata
Bödker-Langkow-Drake
Sjöström-Gordon-Lemieux
Nagy

Yandle-Numminen
OEL-Morris
Jovanosvki-Michalek
Mara

Smith
LaBarbera(******* we haven't had a lot of good backups)

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Josh Gratton-Niko Kapanen-Patrick Fischer
George Laraque-Jeff Taffe-Mathias Tjarnqvist
Bill Thomas-Yanick Lehoux-Mike Leclerc
Matt Murley-Boyd Deveraux-Todd Fedoruk

David Hale-Brenden Bell
Anders Eriksson-Bryan Helmer
Freddy Meyer-Travis Roche

David LeNevue
Philippe Suave

:naughty:

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona

David Hale-Brenden Bell

David LeNevue
Philippe Suave

Kill it with fire.

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida

David Hale-Brenden Bell

David LeNevue
Philippe Suave

I would find a way to squeeze in Matt Jones.

TheMurdocktor

102, Row K, Seat 4
Jul 11, 2010
Glendale, AZ

David Hale-Brenden Bell

David LeNevue
Philippe Suave

How about a little Dan Carcillo in that line-up? :laugh:

Redcoyote

Hungry
Mar 21, 2009
I didn't think Roche was that bad. I'd put Matt Jones in ahead of him. I also thought Tjarnqvist was a gutsy fourth liner.

Tkachuk-Roenick-Doan
Nagy-Hanzal-Vrbata
Korpi-Scatchard-Drake
May-Gordon-Winnik

Yandle-Numminen
OEL-Klesla
Jovo-Michalek

Burke
Tellqvist

Anything before the previous lockout (not last year's) gets fuzzy

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Can we give Nagy, Robert Reichel or Zigmund Palffy a PTO to play with the Czech line?

I remember Reichel playing here, but Palffy?

(personal trivia, the one game I ever sat on the glass, Palffy - then a King - got checked into the glass right in front of me and had to be helped off the ice by the trainer after a fairly lengthy delay. Scary stuff.)

Feb 12, 2003
I'm really having a hard time thinking of the two question marks. We've never had a consistent guy in the #3 spot down the middle. I am almost thinking Vermette but he doesn't feel right.

Likewise I cannot think of too many guys that played that 4th line in a memorable way other than May and Gordon. You're looking for a guy who can play more games than not and offer value in another area (i.e. May with team toughness and Gordon with faceoffs and the PK).

Tkachuk - Roenick - Doan
Nagy - Hanzal - Vrbata
Korpikoski - ??? - Drake (don't consider Briere or Langkow 3rd line centers)
May - Gordon - ???

Numminen - Yandle (best 2 defense overall)
Jovanovski - Michalek (2nd best off/def)
Mara - Morris (3rd best off/def)

Bryzgalov (#2 Burke, #3 Smith, #4 Khabibulin)
Tellqvist (#2 Labarberra...sad)

Feb 12, 2003
Ronning was 3rd line behind Janney & JR, but Ronning was not very memorable although he may fit the bill if there are no better options.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I'm really having a hard time thinking of the two question marks. We've never had a consistent guy in the #3 spot down the middle. I am almost thinking Vermette but he doesn't feel right.

Tkachuk - Roenick - Doan
Nagy - Hanzal - Vrbata
Korpikoski - ??? - Drake (don't consider Briere or Langkow 3rd line centers)
May - Gordon - ???
Were Letowski, Gordon or Fiddler here long enough for those grinding spots? It's the nature of most grinders that they often don't stick around, and those that do win Selkes. Vermette, Gordon and Fiddler all have 2 years in PHX, the only difference is that we're all pretty sure Vermette will get to 3 here really soon.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Ronning was 3rd line behind Janney & JR, but Ronning was not very memorable although he may fit the bill if there are no better options.

#20 all-time in points for Phoenix.
0.72PPG with Phoenix (only higher players with 50+ points are Tkachuk, Roenick and Nagy)

Never understood why they traded him away to Nashville in 1998.

Feb 12, 2003
#20 all-time in points for Phoenix.
0.72PPG with Phoenix (only higher players with 50+ points are Tkachuk, Roenick and Nagy)

Never understood why they traded him away to Nashville in 1998.

Ronning it is then.

I would assume they traded him to Nashville so that the Preds would not take a specific player in the expansion draft. That's pretty common but it's been long enough I don't recall the timing and all of that. I did like Cliff Ronning on the Coyotes and I was disappointed to see him gone as well.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

Likewise I cannot think of too many guys that played that 4th line in a memorable way other than May and Gordon. You're looking for a guy who can play more games than not and offer value in another area (i.e. May with team toughness and Gordon with faceoffs and the PK).

Korpikoski - ??? - Drake (don't consider Briere or Langkow 3rd line

Numminen - Yandle (best 2 defense overall)
Jovanovski - Michalek (2nd best off/def)

I do consider Briere a 3rd liner though. Sure he provided more offensive punch than your usual 3rd line centers but for much of his time here he averaged way less than top 6 minutes. Given that the concept of strict lines is a little silly anyway I think it's okay to consider him 3rd line as a Coyote.

Ronning has a good argument over him, though I considered him more of a 2nd liner. But I suspect you guys remember better than I do so will defer to your judgment on that one.

But I have to make the case the Jovo doesn't quality for the 2nd line in much the same way Yandle doesn't. Both guys were the #1 offensive option, played top 2 D minutes, and were a go to guy on the power play.

As for the 4 line RW spot, I think he best option is to cheat and stick both Pyatt and May on the 4th line. The RW options are pure garbage :laugh: And as down as people often got on Pyatt he did manage to play well in the playoffs and probably spent the most time in Phoenix of any pure bottom 6er. 223 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad