OT: 17-18 Bruins/NHL Summertime Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
There is no rule against it, I'm just not sure why some celebratory soliloquy concerning the Pens needs to be on the B's board. You want to post it, go right ahead, but don't expect me to be throwing compliments and rose petals. Crosby is a heckuva hockey player. He also showcases a lot of what is wrong with the league concerning preferential treatment of certain players because of their name. The guy is only slightly less dirty than Marchand IMO, but has never been suspended for any of his cheap plays. That doesn't sit well with me...at all. You do the crime, then do the time.

If Marchand had done what Crosby did the other night (banging Subban's head into the ice and throwing water bottle), people would be calling for his head on a platter. Because it's Crosby, it gets written off as, oh well, that's just playoff hockey.

**** that.

I don't know if he's even less dirty than Marchand at this point in his career. Just in the past two months: Crosby nearly took off a guy's finger with a vicious slash (pain was so bad Methot couldn't sleep for over a week), speared a guy in the nuts, pounded a guy's head into the ice repeatedly, and threw a water bottle onto the ice during the course of play. Of course look what the consequences were for all of that -- nothing. If Marchand or anyone else in the league pulled all of that stuff the goat ******* on NBC would be talking about what horrible guys they are and the NHL likely would have implemented supplemental discipline at some point. Crosby is indeed a great player with a ridiculous number of accomplishments, but he is also a whiny dirty SOB. The NHL and NBC have an interest to ignore that part of his game and promote him as St. Sidney, but anyone with half a brain can see what a puke the guy is on the ice. Seems like a great dude off the ice btw.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
There is no rule against it, I'm just not sure why some celebratory soliloquy concerning the Pens needs to be on the B's board. You want to post it, go right ahead, but don't expect me to be throwing compliments and rose petals. Crosby is a heckuva hockey player. He also showcases a lot of what is wrong with the league concerning preferential treatment of certain players because of their name. The guy is only slightly less dirty than Marchand IMO, but has never been suspended for any of his cheap plays. That doesn't sit well with me...at all. You do the crime, then do the time.

If Marchand had done what Crosby did the other night (banging Subban's head into the ice and throwing water bottle), people would be calling for his head on a platter. Because it's Crosby, it gets written off as, oh well, that's just playoff hockey.

**** that.

He's just such an unlikeable superstar. I could respect guys like Gretzky, Messier, Toews, Kane....Yzerman of course.... Crosby? No way.

I will say this, off the ice he's a class act. My father is dating someone who's daughter had some medical issues and he would always visit her and they still talk now. I'm thinking though you can say that about a lot of players HAHA.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Say what you want about Crosby, but he certainly have lived up the huge hype.

One of the best player ever.

He's a fabulous player

I love the guy

He's edgy so what

I loved the water bottle toss

He's a villain. Good

Last edited:

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
A few feel good story's from this years champs.

- Hainsey plays in his first playoff game of his long career and fulfills his and every NHL players dream.
- the Pens entire no-name type defence gets it done. Interesting that there was not one Norris vote recipient in the mix.
- Fleury arguably was the Pens best player and the main reason they were in the Eastern finals. Murray's reemergence was largely a seamless transition. Can't recall a recent winner that did not ride just one goalie on their way to winning it all. Great way for a Fleury to end his time in Pittsburgh.
- Gunzel's had a magical run and played such an important role in stepping up when others faltered. Heady stuff.
- Kessel has found the perfect home as a Pen. Was on a track to be labeled a major career underachiever and now is forever a two time cup champion and counting.
- Sid, love him or hate him - and it seems to be decidedly one or the other, has cemented his legacy as deserving to be in the conversation when discussing who are the NHL greats of all time. His resume is impressive and he still has runway in front of him.

Good list, and I'll add two that struck me:

The Cup-clinching goal was scored by a player the losing team traded. For all the praise heaped on Nashville for good trades, that one's gotta sting. The fact that the return on the trade was James Neal makes it even better.

No one had a better seat in the house for the insurance tally than PK Subban.

Neal, Subban on the losing end = further proof hockey gods exist. ;)

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
**** the Penguins. Anyone who feels good for them should seek professional help. Their fans are front runners, their captain is a whiny dirtbag and their owner is the most overrated player in NHL history who employed Matt Cooke while crying about his own players taking a beating. They suck.

Last edited:

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia

**** that.

We simply look at things a little differently. Will continue to try and maintain an open mind with my view of noteworthy things that happen in the hockey world. Life's to short.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
We simply look at things a little differently. Will continue to try and maintain an open mind with my view of noteworthy things that happen in the hockey world. Life's to short.

You are correct, life is too short, so when I see a spade, I'm going to call it a spade. I fully expect you to continue to post what you want, and I will continue to comment on it as I see fit. Life goes on :D

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
He's a fabulous player

I love the guy

He's edgy so what

I loved the water bottle toss

He's a villain. Good

With you. It sucks, i want to hate him, but I cant, hes just so god damn good to watch. Favourite player in the league to watch, if Bruins aren't playing and Pens are, chances are im watching all because of Crosby. I dunno how but each time I watch im still left thinking "wtf....how did he do that????"

He is a wizard. Now flaaaaaaaaame me. My body is ready.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Good list, and I'll add two that struck me:

The Cup-clinching goal was scored by a player the losing team traded. For all the praise heaped on Nashville for good trades, that one's gotta sting. The fact that the return on the trade was James Neal makes it even better.

No one had a better seat in the house for the insurance tally than PK Subban.

Neal, Subban on the losing end = further proof hockey gods exist. ;)

Long summer for some of the Preds for sure. What could have been and not merely the quick whistle issue of game 6. The owned the Pens in the first 4 games and inexplicably Rinne became this years version of Lungo in the Bruins-Canucks final.

There are always neat stories lines that emerge. Thought Thomas getting to the top of the mountain for the first time while Recchi went out having climbed it once more from the Bruins cup win were neat.. These two made good book end stories that years final.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
If McAvoy is Josi, who is Subban? :laugh:

Make whatever comparisons you want, the B's are one D short if they want to follow the Nashville model. I see more of Subban in McAvoy then I do Josi (RH shot, skating style, size). Hopefully, Charlie becomes better in his own end than PK.

Why match D up to Nashville, they lost.
How does the B's D match up to Pitts ?

Yes I know, on paper the Nashville D is better than Pitts.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Why follow the NAS model?

I don't know, maybe because it's easier (and the B's are closer to the Preds set up) than tanking and drafting a generational player and acquiring another one that would be a legit 1st overall pick in a given year.

I also believe (generally speaking) that teams that are strong up the middle are going to win.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

I think the Bruins defense is absolutely better than the Pittsburgh defense we saw in the playoffs. Throw Letang back there and things change as I think he's, at this point, miles better than anyone the Bruins have. We can only hope McAvoy might turn into something like him, which would be great. Krug probably plays more Letang's style but isn't nearly as effective.

But, I think it's clear Nashville's defense is far superior to both teams, and probably the best in the NHL. I don't think Boston needs to compete with that defense to win, but like Pitt, they'd need to find an edge up front and/or in net. This underscores the need to add some firepower up front as clearly our offense can't hang with the likes of Pitt in terms of high-end talent.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Yes Crosby has an edge but you guys saying he is close to or as dirty as Marchand just goes to show how bias this place is . Next time they have a player pool on who is the dirtiest player show me that Crosby is right near the top . He is no where near the dirtiest guys . I cant really argue that he isn't treated like a saint by the league but you guys are making him in to something that he isn't .

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think the Bruins defense is absolutely better than the Pittsburgh defense we saw in the playoffs. Throw Letang back there and things change as I think he's, at this point, miles better than anyone the Bruins have. We can only hope McAvoy might turn into something like him, which would be great. Krug probably plays more Letang's style but isn't nearly as effective.

But, I think it's clear Nashville's defense is far superior to both teams, and probably the best in the NHL. I don't think Boston needs to compete with that defense to win, but like Pitt, they'd need to find an edge up front and/or in net. This underscores the need to add some firepower up front as clearly our offense can't hang with the likes of Pitt in terms of high-end talent.

I think Boston may be using Pittsburgh's model up front with some high skill surrounded by kids. Atleast that's what I hope they do.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yes Crosby has an edge but you guys saying he is close to or as dirty as Marchand just goes to show how bias this place is . Next time they have a player pool on who is the dirtiest player show me that Crosby is right near the top . He is no where near the dirtiest guys . I cant really argue that he isn't treated like a saint by the league but you guys are making him in to something that he isn't .

Nobody said he's the dirtiest player in the league. I said he's a step below Marchand, but he's not that far off, and I stand by it. Crosby committed two acts in the last couple of weeks of the regular season that should have gotten him fined or suspended. The same goes for a guy like Subban, who could and should have been suspended several times for his slewfoots and diving, and have repeat offender status.

The problem is that because of the way the league operates, guys like Marchand are under a microscope while guys like Crosby and Subban apparently have Get Out of Jail Free cards.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think Boston may be using Pittsburgh's model up front with some high skill surrounded by kids. Atleast that's what I hope they do.

Pittsburgh model is pick

1 Fleury
2 Malkin
1 Crosby
2 Staal

In a 4 year period

I'm sure Bruins posters here could wait the suckage out

Bwhahahaha

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Pittsburgh model is pick

1 Fleury
2 Malkin
1 Crosby
2 Staal

In a 4 year period

Bwhahahaha

Hahahah yeah skip that. Funny that staal shoulda been Toews and Malkin would have been Ovechkin had Pittsburgh won the lottery yet again (they were the worst team in the league)

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I think Boston may be using Pittsburgh's model up front with some high skill surrounded by kids. At least that's what I hope they do.

Just gotta get the high-end skill and the kids part now. Marchand and Pastrnak are nice and all, but Crosby and Malkin they are not, right? I get what you are saying though and I also think they are hoping they can develop a Sheery or two to go with their top 3-4 players, but I hope they realize that the top 3-4 guys aren't quite good enough to think the kids can just fill around them. Krejci is fading/has faded, so he's hanging onto that 4th position at this point. They need more talent and experience to balance things out. Surely the Backes signing was aimed at that, but he's probably a third line player now (that was fast). IMO they need another guy to fill out the top 6 who can put up 60+ points.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I don't classify Crosby as dirty

He's no choir boy but he's far from a devil on skates

The guy hangs with Marchand off season and is close friends with Bergeron

My favorite player to watch

I like the BS he pulls

When it was him with that water bottle I laughed out loud

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Pittsburgh model is pick

1 Fleury
2 Malkin
1 Crosby
2 Staal

In a 4 year period

Bwhahahaha

I'm not going to argue with you on this because let's be honest, you're not wrong. Tanking was the model. Crosby and Malkin are the key to that team and they are as high-end as the league has to offer and Pitt tanked to get them. That's true.

But I do think we should acknowledge and probably even tip the cap to the fact their GM made some shrewd trades and signings to build the depth of this team. The Bruins embarrassed them 4 years ago with all of those "tank" guys in place (minus Staal of course). They re-tooled by making a few great trades and adding some kids from the minors, changing coaches, good drafting, etc. So sure, they had a big head start with Crosby, but smart management allowed this team to win this year. Where's our Jake Guentzel? Where's our Connor Sheary? When does our GM pull off a Kessel-like deal? Or a Bonino deal? Or add the right d-men at the right time? How about we draft the Matt Murrays instead of the Malcolm Subbans? They got production from guys they acquired or drafted, and hell, they won a Cup without Kris Letang on a defense nobody thought was great when Letang was healthy!!! That's doing something. People are disrespecting that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad