Prospect Info: 17-18 Blues Top Prospect #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
I went Mikkola. Lets make sure to extend this poll for awhile until Mikkola wins by a vote, thanks.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
He hasn't though. He's shown to be a quality AHL dman that can spot in the NHL.

And he's up against guys that might not even be that good. Let's face it, at this stage we're talking about potential 3/4 liners and bottom 4 D men. We don't have any high upside guys left. We're not looking at boom or bust types, at this stage we're grading guys on character rather than skill.

Lindbohm has already shown that he can be a legit #7 D man without any further progression, and he still has room to improve in a couple areas that could easily make him a quality 3rd pairing guy.

Given the guys that he is up against, I take what Lindbohm has proven he can do over the potential of his competition. The only possible exception I might make is with the goalies, and goalies are way too much of a crapshoot to grade objectively. The separation between an NHL starter and an AHL backup is entirely mental and that is impossible to judge if you don't work with the player on a daily basis.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Id easily take 3/4th liners over him, Even a bottom pairing dman. He just hasnt shown he is even. Being a #7 dman has almost no value.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Well, Sanford and Sundqvist have already played in the NHL and probably could play there in a limited capacity this year. With regards to Sanford, he has some tools that give people the hope that he has high potential - just like Mikkola. With regards to Blais, he just put up a fantastic year in the AHL.

I like Mikkola; I've been voting for him. Those limitations are major limitations though, and while you can predict that he'll overcome them, you can't just assume that he will. Frankly, limitations like that are what separate a good Dman from a meh Dman. If he can't handle the puck and isn't good in transition, he's a liability both defensively, insofar as dealing with a forecheck, etc. and offensively. That's a big deal. Plus, he's yet to show that he can adjust to the NA ice size, which, while you would think he will be able to fine given his pluses (i.e. skating), isn't a sure thing.

At this point in the voting, preferences and priorities shift a lot. Some people vote more on potential, some more on "floor," some on a combination thereof, and some based purely on readiness. I don't think parsing votes here is a productive conversation to have.

Honestly, from the conversations I've seen surrounding Mikkola, people are pretty high on him. He'll be 4th defenseman on this list behind someone who just had a spectacular rookie AHL season, someone breaking into the NHL, and another great skating prospect that is good on the puck.

I just think that the question marks surrounding his puck play are enough to justify him being in this area of the list.

Well, I guess you are right, but what I've seen what Sandford he doesn't bring any cheerfull things. He looks more like AHLer who just get his change up last season, 'cus he was the main piece of Shattery deal.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well, I guess you are right, but what I've seen what Sandford he doesn't bring any cheerfull things. He looks more like AHLer who just get his change up last season, 'cus he was the main piece of Shattery deal.
Well he's a 22-year old...

But yeah, he's no 21-year old Mikkola who is a guaranteed NHL'er. Since, you know why.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Sanford looked good in close and showed soft hands. He definitely showed his warts: sometimes he was lost without the puck and easy to body. But, assuming a good offseason workout regimen, those issues are fixable in my opinion.

And he's up against guys that might not even be that good. Let's face it, at this stage we're talking about potential 3/4 liners and bottom 4 D men. We don't have any high upside guys left. We're not looking at boom or bust types, at this stage we're grading guys on character rather than skill.

Lindbohm has already shown that he can be a legit #7 D man without any further progression, and he still has room to improve in a couple areas that could easily make him a quality 3rd pairing guy.

Given the guys that he is up against, I take what Lindbohm has proven he can do over the potential of his competition. The only possible exception I might make is with the goalies, and goalies are way too much of a crapshoot to grade objectively. The separation between an NHL starter and an AHL backup is entirely mental and that is impossible to judge if you don't work with the player on a daily basis.

I honestly think he regressed last year compared to two years ago, so I'm not as sure about this. But even if we accept that premise, I don't really see him improving. He's seem to stagnate over the last two years and I don't really see the upside in him like I do with other prospects.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Well he's a 22-year old...

But yeah, he's no 21-year old Mikkola who is a guaranteed NHL'er. Since, you know why.

Mikkola looks more promising than Lindbohm, for what its worth. He has a lot of depth to fight through to look at the NHL roster, but he is still a solid prospect.

I fear Lindbohm may have crested, and won't quite make it stick.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Just checking in and I see we still have a tie.

I'll close this up and move things along the next time I see that Musil happens to be ahead.

Remember folks, a vote for Musil is a vote for progress!

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Just checking in and I see we still have a tie.

I'll close this up and move things along the next time I see that Musil happens to be ahead.

Remember folks, a vote for Musil is a vote for progress!

Haha. Looks like I waited this out for good cause. Just haven't gotten around to voting, but Musil for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad