#8-Jordan Kyrou (62%)
#9-Jordan Schmaltz (86%)
#10-Zach Sanford (83%)
#11-Osskar Sundqvist (46%)
#12-Samuel Blais (27%)

Jordeau

Aug 8, 2014
St. Louis
I'm going with Nolan Stevens here. He's put up good numbers in the NCAA and was one of the best players at the prospect camp. Solid middle-6 potential.

Mikkola and Musil would both be good picks too.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Sticking with Musil, then Mikkola. I'd be surprised if Musil didn't have a decent NHL career. I like Mikkola but I can't say the same about him. He's not even playing N.A. hockey yet. I expect Musil to have a good AHL season this year.

I think Musil is going to be like Edmundson in that I expect him to stick in this general range of the polls but then all of a sudden make the team and never look back, having a better career than some of the guys ranked ahead of him.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Oh wow, I didn't expect Blais to win the last poll. Going with Musil again here.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Oh wow, I didn't expect Blais to win the last poll. Going with Musil again here.

And he did it with only 27%. Not very convincing. I Still think Mikkola is a better bet for a solid NHL career. Musil will be good too. But, a solid 3rd pairing defenceman, who might eventually become a solid #4, is worth more than a solid 4th Line centre, who might at his peak, become a low-end 3rdLine centre.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
Toropchenko!

giphy.gif

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Sticking with Musil, then Mikkola. I'd be surprised if Musil didn't have a decent NHL career. I like Mikkola but I can't say the same about him. He's not even playing N.A. hockey yet. I expect Musil to have a good AHL season this year.

I think Musil is going to be like Edmundson in that I expect him to stick in this general range of the polls but then all of a sudden make the team and never look back, having a better career than some of the guys ranked ahead of him.
Same here. Musil is an NHL'er

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Philip Helt

Helt may have a reasonably high offensive ceiling, but, he also has a really low floor, given that he has a LONNNNNNNG way to go to round out his game on the defensive side and in the physical game, and without the puck. And he also has the risk that he might want to stay in Europe for his whole pro career.

I'd still list several players before Helt after Mikkola, Musil, Lindbohm, and Toropchenko, and, perhaps, even Opilka and Binnington.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Helt may have a reasonably high offensive ceiling, but, he also has a really low floor, given that he has a LONNNNNNNG way to go to round out his game on the defensive side and in the physical game, and without the puck. And he also has the risk that he might want to stay in Europe for his whole pro career.

I'd still list several players before Helt after Mikkola, Musil, Lindbohm, and Toropchenko, and, perhaps, even Opilka and Binnington.

It was just my angry vote, 'cus Mikkola didn't win last poll. :(
I'm still legimate puzzled how those prospects are ahead of Mikkola. We're still speaking of next new nowadays kind of defenseman what is coming from Finland. Big D who's fast, great own end, strong 1on1, have great defensive stick and have really mean streak mentatility. Only what need to work is his puck handling and transition game, but I think that will come throught when he's getting big ice minutes in Tappara for example.

But well people are going to suprise when he comes in NA.

#10-Zach Sanford (83%)
#12-Samuel Blais (27%

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I'm still legimate puzzled how those prospects are ahead of Mikkola. We're still speaking of next new nowadays kind of defenseman what is coming from Finland. Big D who's fast, great own end, strong 1on1, have great defensive stick and have really mean streak mentatility. Only what need to work is his puck handling and transition game, but I think that will come throught when he's getting big ice minutes in Tappara for example.

#10-Zach Sanford (83%)
#12-Samuel Blais (27%

Well, Sanford and Sundqvist have already played in the NHL and probably could play there in a limited capacity this year. With regards to Sanford, he has some tools that give people the hope that he has high potential - just like Mikkola. With regards to Blais, he just put up a fantastic year in the AHL.

I like Mikkola; I've been voting for him. Those limitations are major limitations though, and while you can predict that he'll overcome them, you can't just assume that he will. Frankly, limitations like that are what separate a good Dman from a meh Dman. If he can't handle the puck and isn't good in transition, he's a liability both defensively, insofar as dealing with a forecheck, etc. and offensively. That's a big deal. Plus, he's yet to show that he can adjust to the NA ice size, which, while you would think he will be able to fine given his pluses (i.e. skating), isn't a sure thing.

At this point in the voting, preferences and priorities shift a lot. Some people vote more on potential, some more on "floor," some on a combination thereof, and some based purely on readiness. I don't think parsing votes here is a productive conversation to have.

Honestly, from the conversations I've seen surrounding Mikkola, people are pretty high on him. He'll be 4th defenseman on this list behind someone who just had a spectacular rookie AHL season, someone breaking into the NHL, and another great skating prospect that is good on the puck.

I just think that the question marks surrounding his puck play are enough to justify him being in this area of the list.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

#10-Zach Sanford (83%)
#12-Samuel Blais (27%

Why you hef to be mad?

Seriously, why can't you educate us on why you prefer Mikkola over the other prospects left out there and we can all watch to see who was right. Edmundson has come from being an afterthought vote to becoming a solid NHLer. I don't remember you cheerleading him. In fact, I don't remember anyone really doing it. We missed that potential to some degree. But why does there need to be anger in it, when you know you're in a better position than the rest of us to know about a Finnish prospect.

Just curious, can you give me an example of a Finnish prospect you felt was over-rated and was getting overhyped in North America? You come across as just automatically preferring a player for being Finnish.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Why you hef to be mad?

Seriously, why can't you educate us on why you prefer Mikkola over the other prospects left out there and we can all watch to see who was right. Edmonton has come from being an afterthought vote to becoming a solid NHLer. I don't remember you cheerleading him. In fact, I don't remember anyone really doing it. We missed that potential to some degree. But why does there need to be anger in it, when you know you're in a better position than the rest of us to know about a Finnish prospect.

Just curious, can you give me an example of a Finnish prospect you felt was over-rated and was getting overhyped in North America? You come across as just automatically preferring a player for being Finnish.

Far from championing Edmundson, I believe he complained loudly that Edmundson got playing time over Lindbohm, another Finnish defenseman that Ranksu hyped in these polls.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think I hyped Edmundson when he was a prospect cause I loved his shot but I don't know if it was on here or in real life conversations or if it was merely in my head.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I loved Edmundson the moment we drafted him, but I can't take credit for predicting his success. He really surprised me both this season and the one before. I hope he continues to improve, and I think he will.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Sticking with Lindbom till he gets on the list. Even if he is only a 6/7 D man, I still think that his proven NHL ability trumps the upside of any of our remaining prospects. At this stage in the voting we're not talking about real high upside guys.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Sticking with Lindbom till he gets on the list. Even if he is only a 6/7 D man, I still think that his proven NHL ability trumps the upside of any of our remaining prospects. At this stage in the voting we're not talking about real high upside guys.

He hasn't though. He's shown to be a quality AHL dman that can spot in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad