Prospect Info: 17-18 Blues Top Prospect #10

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Should be another cakewalk. Sanford for sure.

I LOVE our top 10 prospects. Really, the #2 guy (Barbashev) could have ended up at #9 and I wouldn't have been that surprised. I think that just goes to show how close prospects 2-10 really are. Our #10 prospect is probably more like #5 in a lot of other pools. All these players have legit shots to be top 9/top 4 guys in the NHL.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I voted for Sanford. He has soft hands, a decent shot (which will improve as he adds strength), skates well, passes well, has very good offensive sense, and seems to know how to find the open places. He needs to add lots of strength and muscle weight, and learn how to use body leverage better, and adjust to the added bulk. He will likely do all that. IF he does a good job of all that, he can be an average 2nd line winger, and if he excels in that, maybe he could even become an average 2nd Line NHL centre.

Musil is probably a certainty to make at least 4th Line NHL forward, and possibly 3rd Liner. If he improves on his current trajectory, he could become a 4th line NHL centre, who can move up to 3rd Line. He's probably closer to reaching all those than Sanford, at this point. But sanford's high ceiling gives him the nod.

Toropchenko should be up there, as he seems to have a reasonably high ceiling. But, he's a lot farther away than Sanford, at this point.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
Meant to choose Sam Banford but I am dumb and clicked Sunkist
giphy.gif

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Went with Sanford.

Likely going with Sundqvist next. He should make the team out of camp.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Posted in the last poll:

Majorityof1 said:
Schmaltz here easily. And then just for Bluedream, after that it's Sundqvist, Blais, Mikkola, then Musil. After all those we'll have to add Jack Bradford, because I don't see him listed on any of the polls.

BlueDream said:
Looks like you're going to easily lose the next poll. No surprise.

"Moreover, any man more right than his neighbors constitutes a majority of one already." - Henry David Thoreau, On Civil Disobedience

Its not losing if you stick to your convictions despite what others think. Losing is following the herd mentality. The unpopular opinion is often the right one.

I went with Sunqvist here. He put up better AHL stats than the popular choice. He didn't play in the NHL last year much because he was stuck behind the Center combo of Crosby, Malkin, Bonino and Cullen. He is big and actually plays a physical game. Unlike the popular choice, he is not lost without the puck either. He projects as a center, which has more value than a wing, and he can stay on his skates unlike the popular choice. So yea, I am totally cool standing with Bangarangxrufio on this one while you all drink the Kool-Aid on whoever that kid is for whom you voted.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Posted in the last poll:

"Moreover, any man more right than his neighbors constitutes a majority of one already." - Henry David Thoreau, On Civil Disobedience

Its not losing if you stick to your convictions despite what others think. Losing is following the herd mentality. The unpopular opinion is often the right one.

I went with Sunqvist here. He put up better AHL stats than the popular choice. He didn't play in the NHL last year much because he was stuck behind the Center combo of Crosby, Malkin, Bonino and Cullen. He is big and actually plays a physical game. Unlike the popular choice, he is not lost without the puck either. He projects as a center, which has more value than a wing, and he can stay on his skates unlike the popular choice. So yea, I am totally cool standing with Bangarangxrufio on this one while you all drink the Kool-Aid on whoever that kid is for whom you voted.

I take it you missed his post in this very thread.

On a related note, next time try milk in your Cheerios insteading of asking someone to **** in them.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

On a related note, next time try milk in your Cheerios insteading of asking someone to **** in them.

Not really sure what any of this means, like at all.

He said I was going to lose the next poll. How can you lose an opinion poll? The only way someone could think there are winners and losers in these polls is if (a) you are Dizee and everything you do is WINNING or (b) you actually think the popular choice is always the right choice. Both those thoughts are so flawed as I cannot stand behind them. If we had a poll about what the best cereal is, and I voted for Rice Krispies while everyone else voted Cheerios, would I have lost? No, the only way I'd lose is if I ate Cheerios instead of a cereal I like better because everyone else said it was better. The only way we can lose is if we compare these predicitons to the players careers 10-15 years down the road. And I don't think any of us wants to open that can of worms.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Now now, let's keep it civil.

Sunkist may have better AHL numbers, but I went with Sam Bradford here because he has proven more in the NHL. Despite his struggles, he has shown flashes of skill that are intriguing and has a higher ceiling than Sunkist IMO (although i do think Sunkist has a higher floor).

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Posted in the last poll:

I'm not going to argue with you about Sanford since it's clear we disagree there, but since you seem quite high on Sundqvist, what have you read/watched that makes you feel so strongly about him? Everything I've read about him is encouraging, I feel strongly that he'll be in the lineup next year, and I'm thrilled that he's a part of our system, but it's really all just going off of what little I've read/seen of him. Anything in particular that makes you so bullish on him?

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
Now now, let's keep it civil.

Sunkist may have better AHL numbers, but I went with Sam Bradford here because he has proven more in the NHL. Despite his struggles, he has shown flashes of skill that are intriguing and has a higher ceiling than Sunkist IMO (although i do think Sunkist has a higher floor).

I 100% agree with this. I like both, but SandFort looked like with 20lbs on him he could be very good. Sunkist will be intriguing to watch develop though.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Posted in the last poll:

I love the Thoreau quote. But you seem to be so passionate lately about trivialities like these polls. I don't quite understand where you're coming from.

I think Sundqvist suffers a lot from lack of familiarity. He does for me. The best I can get is the projections and a few slim highlights. I'm interested to see where he winds up. There is some outright competition this year in camp for a few spots. I love to see that, and a chance for young guys to seize their career by the throat.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'm not going to argue with you about Sanford since it's clear we disagree there, but since you seem quite high on Sundqvist, what have you read/watched that makes you feel so strongly about him? Everything I've read about him is encouraging, I feel strongly that he'll be in the lineup next year, and I'm thrilled that he's a part of our system, but it's really all just going off of what little I've read/seen of him. Anything in particular that makes you so bullish on him?

I wouldn't say I am bullish on him. There is a big drop between 9 and 10 for me. Like a big drop. Sundqvist is the best of tier 3. At that range I tend to value floor more than ceiling because the ceilings aren't all that high. A guy like Blais for example maxes as a 3rd liner, maybe a 2/3 tweener, but he has an equal or greater shot of never sticking for long in the NHL. Sunqvist has the skill set to be an good NHL 4th liner at a minimum. But he has actually shown some high end skill at the AHL level. From the little I have seen he has good speed, a good shot and good hands. He's not elite there, but from everything I have heard, he has a really good hockey IQ to go with it. I have talked to Pittsburgh fans who were penciling him as Cullen's replacement, not just the guy who will take his lineup spot, but the guy who will eventual provide what he provided (PK, defense, and some scoring pop from the bottom 6). I am a Cullen fan, and have wanted to sign him the past few years. If we got a more physical and younger version of that player, I'd be stoked.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I think Sanford has been a bit undervalued, but I'm disappointed at the degree of groupthink on the last couple polls. I think there should be more disagreement. Probably reflects that there aren't enough observation points for most of us.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I wouldn't say I am bullish on him. There is a big drop between 9 and 10 for me. Like a big drop. Sundqvist is the best of tier 3. At that range I tend to value floor more than ceiling because the ceilings aren't all that high. A guy like Blais for example maxes as a 3rd liner, maybe a 2/3 tweener, but he has an equal or greater shot of never sticking for long in the NHL. Sunqvist has the skill set to be an good NHL 4th liner at a minimum. But he has actually shown some high end skill at the AHL level. From the little I have seen he has good speed, a good shot and good hands. He's not elite there, but from everything I have heard, he has a really good hockey IQ to go with it. I have talked to Pittsburgh fans who were penciling him as Cullen's replacement, not just the guy who will take his lineup spot, but the guy who will eventual provide what he provided (PK, defense, and some scoring pop from the bottom 6). I am a Cullen fan, and have wanted to sign him the past few years. If we got a more physical and younger version of that player, I'd be stoked.

I've read good things about him being super tough to play against, which bodes well for bottom-6 play. The fact that his offensive game came along so quickly last year is worth looking into, and figuring out what exactly happened there. But if he can chip in 20ish points from the 4th line, that's an element we haven't had back there in a long time, if ever.

If people are interested, when I find the time I can go through the WBS highlights and post Sunny's goals from last season like I did with Sanford when he came here.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I see Sanford as having 3rd, possibly 2nd line potential and being a decently safe bet. I see Sunsqvist as also a pretty safe bet but more of a guy with 3rd/4th line potential.

Sundqvist may be a little closer to the NHL and more likely to make the team out of camp but I just like Sanford a bit more. Another reason Sundqvist is more likely to make the team is he is now waiver eligible whereas Sanford is still waiver exempt for now.

I'll note Schmaltz is still waiver exempt as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad