16 year old joining adult league

Escapades

Mar 7, 2009
I'm a 16 year old who has just signed up for a men's adult league at my local inline rink. My coach says that I'm good enough to handle the play but are there any tips you guys can offer me? Is there a stigma of any kind towards non-adults playing in adult leagues? Thanks

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I play in an adult inline league, and regardless of your skill level, one thing you will not be used to is the shear strength people in their 20s and 30s have over when you are a teen. We just played a team of 16 year olds who skated circles around us (tier 15...not exactly going to the show any time soon), but even the bigger kids got knocked off the puck immediately, and we ended up winning.

besides that, you will be fine i think.

eric71*

I play in an adult inline league, and regardless of your skill level, one thing you will not be used to is the shear strength people in their 20s and 30s have over when you are a teen. We just played a team of 16 year olds who skated circles around us (tier 15...not exactly going to the show any time soon), but even the bigger kids got knocked off the puck immediately, and we ended up winning.

is someone in their 20s really THAT much stronger than a 16 year old? Would an average 25 y.o be stronger than a 16 y/o that works out constantly and has been since hes 13?

BadHammy*

That REALLY is true. The kids have to use speed to win. If it's a no check league, then age won't be as much of a difference.

eric71*

Absolutely.

I cant wait till Im in my 20s than. With the exception of having to work, every single day,bills, no winter break or summer vacation or march break,bills, possible kids, bills, did I mention bills?

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
Remember when you're playing with adults that they are there because they pay their hard earned money to play and want a share of the puck. Keep your shifts short and play hard and you'll be Ok, try and come out like you're something special and you'll be fighting an uphill battle. Also, adults can play some cheap and physical hockey, even in a non-checking league, be prepared. No out of shape 30 year old likes getting beat by a kid, some may look to get a piece of you any way they can.

WDR357

Mar 18, 2009
Boston Area
is someone in their 20s really THAT much stronger than a 16 year old? Would an average 25 y.o be stronger than a 16 y/o that works out constantly and has been since hes 13?
I'll second that. Most adult men weigh a good 30 pounds or more than a 16 year old as well as an inch or two taller. Working out for three years is nothing. A 25 year old working out since 13 has been lifting for 12-13 years.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Always beware of old man strength! Don't try to mix it up with anyone, that's for sure :P Also get ready for that "cross check downwards on the back of your pants" trick. Older players always do that, jerks.

milkshow

Jun 14, 2009
Once you start making them look bad, like someone else said thy want a piece of you. The 2 Biggest things I think you'll notice is they are adults, they are much stronger and they are bigger. It's a lot easier to skate pass a 16 who weighs 140 lbs than a 5 foot 11 200 pounder. I think you will soon realize it's a whole different game.

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON
Always beware of old man strength! Don't try to mix it up with anyone, that's for sure :P Also get ready for that "cross check downwards on the back of your pants" trick. Older players always do that, jerks.

Sounds like an awesome move. Gonna try it tonight. I am 24.

Escapades

Mar 7, 2009
Is there a general dislike towards kids who are playing in adult leagues or is there any chance I'll be excepted at "just one of the guys"?

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
Is there a general dislike towards kids who are playing in adult leagues or is there any chance I'll be excepted at "just one of the guys"?

If you play hard try to minimize mistakes and do what's expected you'll be fine.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
need to add a couple of things. first don't show up anyone. you probably will be faster than 90-95% of the guys you probably have better hands. when you make a highlight reel goal don't showboat afterwards. act like you've been there before. don't continually go coast to coast when breaking the puck out of the zone, if an oldtimer is putting the effort to bust through the neutral zone get him the puck, he will more than likely give it back to you as catch up to the play. and finally hockey equipment can be deceiving I have had more than 1 teenager try to rub me off the puck who ended up on their backs. a 150 pound 16 y/o is no match for a fully grown man. period. I have laughed at many kids that let out a "uhh" after running into me. have fun pass the puck and be a good teammate. if you come out cocky and showboating I guarantee someone will bury you in a corner.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I cant wait till Im in my 20s than. With the exception of having to work, every single day,bills, no winter break or summer vacation or march break,bills, possible kids, bills, did I mention bills?

Shut the ##### up and enjoy your teenage years :laugh: I'm loving college life, yeah, but I'd love to re-do highschool and spend more time having fun with my friends and playing hockey than playing videogames and studying.

Anyways, don't underestimate the older guys. Unless they're in their 30s or approaching their 40s they'll be plenty quick and quite a bit stronger than you too. It's only the players that stop working out who start declining in their 20s. Even the older guys that don't have the speed usually have a tremendous amount of skill and experience, so they'll find ways to stop you.

Long story short... prepare to be thrashed around the waves. Don't be afraid to play your game, but expect to get knocked on your ass from time to time. Your speed will give you a bit of an advantage, but as soon as they figure out how to neutralize that you're going to have to rely on solid positioning (ESPECIALLY as a defenceman). Use it as motivation to step up your training!

Inline hockey might be different, but this was my experience transitioning from minor youth hockey to playing pickup with a bunch of guys aged 25-40. I'm playing my first season of adult league hockey this fall.

Gentle Ben Ken0bi

Sep 8, 2005
Pass the puck, keep shift times in line with the rest of the team and have fun. Us older guys do not like having shift time shortened because of some young cocky dude.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com

Hey I resemble that remark ... this 41 year old 235lb guy though doesn't do that these days very often. Only when a guy deserves it like if we are losing and he hams up a goal he just scored.

Young guys like to gloat about a goal they score and well .... we can't be having that lmao.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
ur in the same boat that i was in, it does wonders for ur balance, i play defence and a physical game, for my first season playing up i knocked around but didnt stop, second season i was fine

milkshow

Jun 14, 2009
ur in the same boat that i was in, it does wonders for ur balance, i play defence and a physical game, for my first season playing up i knocked around but didnt stop, second season i was fine

Playing with the older guys?

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Playing with the older guys?

yeah playing in a senior league, our senior team was short so anybody from the youth teams who had size and some decent skill got brought up, funnily enough i considered myself more part of the seniors than the juniors after my first season, i loved the hard training.

but in regards to games ur gonna get knocked around, ur not gonna be as strong as most of the players ur against, no matter how much u work out ur muscles just wont be there yet. but like i sed, i just carried on, i found it fun and improved a hell of a lot. u jus gotta stick with it.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
I remember when my inline team made the transition from U16 to Adult. We had just won the U16 championship and dominated everyone. Then we went to adult and had to fight like hell to not get mercy ruled every game. There were players that would flat out embarass us with some dangles they'd pull off. And I can tell you, if you end up scoring any decent amount, you will get a little roughed up. One guy constantly would butt end me in the kidneys when I was trying to take the outside and push him off. I was a big 16 year old (like 185-190) so I didn't have to worry much about getting pushed around, but they do/will play rough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad