16 afternoon games this year = poor play

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
We all know the Sens are either asleep, or just plain suck when it comes to afternoon games. Well this year we will have played 16 games that begin before 7pm local time. As compared to our fellow Ontario blue team which will play a total of 3.

I realize this is all for TV deals and such, but to me the Sens are getting the shaft here big time and certainly has played into our demise this year.

Anyone else with thoughts on this?

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
My thoughts are that our opponent also plays at the same time so it shouldn't matter. If a team sucks in the afternoon that's their problem, not the leagues.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm fairly confident I remember hearing that Melnyk/management liked afternoon games because they were more profitable?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Are they more profitable if they cost us a playoff spot?

The players not being able to get up for afternoon games are to blame, not the time slot.

That being said, I hate afternoon games. Hockey is meant to be played at night, not in the afternoon. **** there were a couple of games at noon this season.

I hope it changes next year.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Yup, Afternoon games are Melynk's fault they get more revenue when Sportsnet airs the game compared to CBC, and if a game starts after 3PM CBC gets it on Saturdays, and Sundays(?)

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
The afternoon games actually end up selling out or coming close most of the time, even when the team is awful. They're here to stay and should be, from a business perspective.

It should not be difficult to fix this problem. Have them go to bed earlier, have an 8:00 AM morning skate, have them nap earlier in the day... it's not hard. Figure it out.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The afternoon games actually end up selling out or coming close most of the time, even when the team is awful. They're here to stay and should be, from a business perspective.

It should not be difficult to fix this problem. Have them go to bed earlier, have an 8:00 AM morning skate, have them nap earlier in the day... it's not hard. Figure it out.

Targeting families and kids. I get it, I just don't like it.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
I do agree that they suck in the afternoon. I'd also much rather watch a game at night.

That being said, it's up to the team from the coaches to the players to find a way to prepare for these early games. It's not all Leeder/Melnyk's fault. I feel dirty.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
games in the afternoon are natural for football but its just odd when it comes to hockey

I'd rather watch games at night

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Did the Sens not have a winning record in afternoon games in the two seasons prior to this one? Pretty sure they did. It's probably just variance. They aren't that great in night games either.

Just not very good full stop.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Did the Sens not have a winning record in afternoon games in the two seasons prior to this one? Pretty sure they did. It's probably just variance. They aren't that great in night games either.

Just not very good full stop.

I think they sucked in afternoon games last season as well.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
We likely suck at afternoon games because most of the team is up late the night before getting hammered at the big rig.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
My thoughts are that our opponent also plays at the same time so it shouldn't matter. If a team sucks in the afternoon that's their problem, not the leagues.

Agreed. Players should be playing to their potential at all times and stop making excuses.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
We likely suck at afternoon games because most of the team is up late the night before getting hammered at the big rig.

Puss-In-Boots-Oooh-Cat-Reaction-Gif.gif

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
Afternoon games are so lame, as is Melnyk. I miss Saturday night hockey.

However, despite Melnyk and management being idiots and going for profits over success in the standings, it's really on the players.
As long as there's another team getting up at the same time and playing the same game, there's no excuse as to why the Sens suck in afternoon games.

The Sens are simply VERY unmotivated this year. Whether it's because of Melnyk being a cheapass or Alfie leaving, I don't care.
These players are being paid more money PER GAME than I see in several years. I am pretty poor, but still.

Anyway, was refreshing this year to hear some of what MacArthur has had to say.
Both he and Karlsson should have an A next year, but this team's a joke when picking captains. It's all about time-served.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Afternoon games are so lame, as is Melnyk. I miss Saturday night hockey.

However, despite Melnyk and management being idiots and going for profits over success in the standings, it's really on the players.
As long as there's another team getting up at the same time and playing the same game, there's no excuse as to why the Sens suck in afternoon games.

The Sens are simply VERY unmotivated this year. Whether it's because of Melnyk being a cheapass or Alfie leaving, I don't care.
These players are being paid more money PER GAME than I see in several years. I am pretty poor, but still.

Anyway, was refreshing this year to hear some of what MacArthur has had to say.
Both he and Karlsson should have an A next year, but this team's a joke when picking captains. It's all about time-served.

You claim Sens brass are idiots for choosing profit over points, but at the same time blame the players for blowing afternoon games. How is it management's fault if the players are at fault?

There is no rational reason why the Sens blew afternoon games. It wasn't some forgone conclusion that they would do just that, before the season when the schedule was made, management made a decision that they felt, and rightfully so, shouldn't affect the team's success one bit.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
And we're not getting the shaft with afternoon games.

Have you seen the team play during the evening games?

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
You claim Sens brass are idiots for choosing profit over points, but at the same time blame the players for blowing afternoon games. How is it management's fault if the players are at fault?

There is no rational reason why the Sens blew afternoon games. It wasn't some forgone conclusion that they would do just that, before the season when the schedule was made, management made a decision that they felt, and rightfully so, shouldn't affect the team's success one bit.

So 100% of the fault has to be directed at the players..? Or..?

I fault management for choosing the afternoon games. I'm gonna go ahead and doubt that the players were in on this deal.
Then I fault the players for not showing up during these crappy time slots that management decided on.

Pretty simple, there's blame to go around. Not to mention it's my opinion. I think they're both to blame, more-so the players.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I fault management for choosing the afternoon games. I'm gonna go ahead and doubt that the players were in on this deal.
Then I fault the players for not showing up during these crappy time slots that management decided on.

Pretty simple, there's blame to go around. Not to mention it's my opinion. I think they're both to blame, more-so the players.

You can only fault management if afternoon games actually put the team at a disadvantage. I'm not so sure they do, despite our teams best efforts to prove they are.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
This is on the coaching and the players. The schedule is what it is, this is not a situation where we have constant back to backs or three games in four nights. These guys are professionals and should be able to do what is necessary to be prepared to play NHL hockey at whatever time.

The coaching and the team know the schedule ahead of time. The guys should be professionals but it becomes necessary for the team to put in "day before afternoon game" protocols or curfews I'd expect the team to do so.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008

No that's completely absurd. When west coast teams come east they play at 4:00 in the afternoon on their time, and the west has been crushing the east for a decade. There's absolutely no reason at all for this team to play like total garbage if the game doesn't start at 7:00 PM. The idea that it's at all the fault of the schedule is just pure insanity.

There are plenty of other teams who play just fine in afternoon games. This team just didn't prepare for them well enough this year. The solution is for them to HTFU and fix it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad