'16/'17 Vezina Trophy Winner: Sergei Bobrovsky

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Could Bob make a case for the 2nd best Russian goaltender of all time behind Tretiak?

Yeah, absolutely. It's pretty close between him, Khabibullin and Nabokov.

All 3 had seasons of being among best. Khaby's peak is lower then others but he does have that awesome SC run.

Among Soviet goalies, I would say Konovalenko has a case, but he is tough to judge.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Yeah, absolutely. It's pretty close between him, Khabibullin and Nabokov.

All 3 had seasons of being among best. Khaby's peak is lower then others but he does have that awesome SC run.

Among Soviet goalies, I would say Konovalenko has a case, but he is tough to judge.

To be honest, I think Bob needs a Stanley Cup win or big performance on the international stage (Olympics, WC, etc.) for Team Russia in order to cement his place.

But I think he has a shot.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Vladimir Myshkin is an interesting case. Unfortunately for him, most of his career overlapped Tretiak's.
He was already 30 when Tretiak retired.

We just got glimpses of him, but he played well.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Are you talking of the same that played for the Quebec Nordiques?

No, that's recently deceased Sergei Mylnikov.

He was the starter in games 1 and 3 of that famed 1987 CC finals.

Myshkin is best known here for being the one who replaced Tretiak vs USA in 1980.

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010
Only given to him because he is Russian so that the NHL could see kind to foreigners. Marketing gimmick. Oh wait, i dont really think that and low and behold: Non Canadian player got the award cause he actually deserved the award. Im not going to be like the Anti-Canada crew here and disregard his accomplishments because of his nationality..

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No, that's recently deceased Sergei Mylnikov.

He was the starter in games 1 and 3 of that famed 1987 CC finals.

Myshkin is best known here for being the one who replaced Tretiak vs USA in 1980.
Being the scapegoat for that moment might cause some perception problems w/r/t "greatest ever" determinations, I think.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Being the scapegoat for that moment might cause some perception problems w/r/t "greatest ever" determinations, I think.

None of the goals he gave up were on him.

As a matter of fact, the only goal USA scored that was soft was Schneider's. The others were terrible D breakdowns.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
None of the goals he gave up were on him.

As a matter of fact, the only goal USA scored that was soft was Schneider's. The others were terrible D breakdowns.
I didn't say he was responsible for it; I said he was the scapegoat. Folks keep pointing to "omg they subbed out Tretiak" as a turning point - and it might have been from a morale standpoint - but most folks are going to look at "they put in this guy and that's when the game changed, so clearly, this guy is to blame."

Undeserved, but still possible.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I didn't say he was responsible for it; I said he was the scapegoat. Folks keep pointing to "omg they subbed out Tretiak" as a turning point - and it might have been from a morale standpoint - but most folks are going to look at "they put in this guy and that's when the game changed, so clearly, this guy is to blame."

Undeserved, but still possible.

The Russians won the second period with Myshkin in there. 3-2 going into the second intermission. So if it DID hurt morale, it certainly didn't show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad