1.) Evgeny Svechnikov (73%)
2.) Filip Hronek (73%)
3.) Dennis Cholowski (59%)
4.) Vili Saarijarvi (58%)

Last edited:

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Went with little Bert, but there's definitely an argument for Smith. I think both are locks to be in our top 9 in about 3 years.

Both look more like 4th line guys to me, with Bert more likely to be a top 9 guy . I would really have a hard time calling Smith who is well below a ppg in junior a top 9 lock, he has a lot to prove before he even sniffs the NHL.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Both look more like 4th line guys to me, with Bert more likely to be a top 9 guy . I would really have a hard time calling Smith who is well below a ppg in junior a top 9 lock, he has a lot to prove before he even sniffs the NHL.

He's third in points on a **** team and second in +/- and one of 2 forwards on his team that are +.

No one on Guelph has been PPG since Tyler Bertuzzi in 14/15

He's not a lock to even make the NHL (no kid in Junior is) but he could definitely crack the top 9 with his style of play. He's complimentary.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Coin flip between Russo and Bert. I assume Bert is a 4th liner and Russo is a 3rd pairing guy, when all's said and done. I don't really expect any of these other guys to make the NHL (minus Coreau, who might be able to stick around as a back-up goalie). Nosek's probably next.

I've also just realized that I've been making a weird assumption that Hicketts was a lot older than he actually is. I have no idea why.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Lil' Bert.

To be honest, I don't love any of the choices that much anymore.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Lil' Bert.

To be honest, I don't love any of the choices that much anymore.
I think we have a lot of interesting depth in the pool. Russo, Hicketts, Bert are all promising. Nosek is doing great this year, might not be a star but could be something of a Sheahan upgrade as a legit bottom 6 two-way guy. Sambrook is also having a good year. Imo if there's a problem with our prospect pool currently it's the high-end that's lacking, I like the depth we have coming up more than usual.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I think we have a lot of interesting depth in the pool. Russo, Hicketts, Bert are all promising. Nosek is doing great this year, might not be a star but could be something of a Sheahan upgrade as a legit bottom 6 two-way guy. Sambrook is also having a good year. Imo if there's a problem with our prospect pool currently it's the high-end that's lacking, I like the depth we have coming up more than usual.

Getting depth is easy. Every team has prospects like these guys. This prospect pool is depressing as hell.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Bert. I agree with that other guy: Our prospect pool sucks.

We should be acquiring as many picks as possible. Would like to re-stock the pipeline. We have no centers and don't want to completely stop drafting defenseman either.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

Russo/Hicketts/Bertuzzi are really nothing special and extremely unlikely to ever amount to anything beyond bottom of the lineup guys if they ever even make it to the NHL at all

Nosek is having a nice year but he's also 24 with 150+ AHL games under his belt(and multiple years in the Czech league before that) lots of guys start producing in the AHL when they've been around for a while then never amount to anything in the NHL

Sambrook? maybe someday,too early to say really

compare it to the first midseason ranking from another year I was able to find(14-15)

1: Mantha
2: Ouellet
3: Mrazek
4: Larkin
5: Pulkkinen
6: Sproul
7: Athanasiou
8: Marchenko
9: Bertuzzi
10: Jensen

with the following still remaining as options:

Backman
Ehn
Hicketts
Holmstrom
Janmark
Nastasiuk
Nosek
Turgeon
Tvrdon

it really is a night and day difference in terms of depth especially when you consider how well guys like Pulkkinen who ultimately didn't pan were doing at the time

granted that's not entirely the Wings fault since with how many prospects have graduated over the past couple years pretty much any teams prospect pool wouldn't look very deep

but it's a weak looking pool nonetheless

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Why are people so disappointed that most of our forward prospects project to be bottom-six forwards? Most of the forwards in the NHL are bottom-six forwards. Why should things be different for the Wings?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Guess my add is Sadowy, since I kinda forgot he existed.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Why are people so disappointed that most of our forward prospects project to be bottom-six forwards? Most of the forwards in the NHL are bottom-six forwards. Why should things be different for the Wings?

because the Wings literally have ONE forward prospect that will realistically be anything more than a bottom six guy even IF they pan out?

it wouldn't be an issue if guys like Bertuzzi weren't competing for the #5 prospect spot and #2 forward prospect spot

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Because you don't build around bottom 6 players. A team as bad as ours in the cap situation like us should have a deeper more rich prospect pool. We're pretty much starting from scratch outside of high hopes for Larkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad