Winner of round 2 is Hronek, the add is Tomas Nosek

So far, we have
1.) Evgeny Svechnikov (73%)
2.) Filip Hronek (73%)

Vote and offer your choice for an add for the next round

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
I went with Saarijarvi.

My add would be Sambrook too. Later we should add Ehn or De Haas.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Cholowski for sure. All the reports about him have been glowing, he's doing really well in the NCAA compared to his peers, and he's a 1st round d-man who has no obvious flaws to his game or anything seriously handcuffing his potential. What's not to like?

burrythebiscuit*

Mar 6, 2016
Went with Russo because I've seen him play quite a bit and looks great at the AHL level. Never have seen Cholo play or heard much about him. Can someone fill me in a bit?

Add Turgeon

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
Cholowski for sure. All the reports about him have been glowing, he's doing really well in the NCAA compared to his peers, and he's a 1st round d-man who has no obvious flaws to his game or anything seriously handcuffing his potential. What's not to like?

Not that I don't like Cholowski, but right now Saarijarvi has a slight advantage over Cholo for me based on his 2 years of OHL and WJC play and production.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar

Is he though? He isn't even 0.5PPG down in NCAA. Compared to say, Werenski, who scored 25 points in 35 games a year younger than Cholo, and was PPG at the same age as Cholo.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I think that he is in his infancy as a prospect compared to some of these other guys (even guys from his draft class), so it makes it hard to gauge where he stands with other prospects. But he has some nice tools.

Not that I don't like Cholowski, but right now Saarijarvi has a slight advantage over Cholo for me based on his 2 years of OHL and WJC play and production.

Saarijarvi has accomplished more as a prospect thus far. If that is the basis for how you rank these guys I can understand putting him ahead. If you are looking at ceiling, Cholowski is a guy that could potentially be used in more situations than Saarijarvi mostly due to the size of the two.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Is he though? He isn't even 0.5PPG down in NCAA. Compared to say, Werenski, who scored 25 points in 35 games a year younger than Cholo, and was PPG at the same age as Cholo.
Well I wouldn't rank him ahead of Werenski if we had both of them as prospects.. but I think Cholo deserves to be in our top 3 prospects. He's raw and will need some time, but he's got a higher ceiling than a guy like Saarijarvi and while he's not tearing it up in the NCAA he's doing about what you can realistically hope/expect out of a rookie d-man in that league unless you're talking about top 10 picks.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Smith...he's what this team needs...someone who is nasty and can put the puck in the net

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

Saarijarvi has to improve his defense before he sniffs the pros...from what I've seen this year it hasn't improved much from last year

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013

Where are all these glowing reports?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Where are all these glowing reports?
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n.../detroit-red-wings-dennis-cholowski/86999400/
“He looked smooth from Day 1,†said Grand Rapids Griffins coach Todd Nelson, who coached Cholowski’s team. “From the first skill session, (you saw how well) he moves out there. ... He passes like a pro and passed it crisp and firm.

“What we got was a really good indication, during the scrimmage sessions, of seeing what he could do — controlling play and making simple plays. He makes the game look easy out there.â€
A lot of stuff like that from development camp. The posters on this board that have watched him seem to have had very good things to say too.

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
Saarijarvi has accomplished more as a prospect thus far. If that is the basis for how you rank these guys I can understand putting him ahead. If you are looking at ceiling, Cholowski is a guy that could potentially be used in more situations than Saarijarvi mostly due to the size of the two.

When ranking our prospects, I try to take into account age, production/play and the age of a player at the same time. I know that Cholo projects to be a kind of all-round type D, but without seeing him in action the advantage goes to Saarijarvi for me right now. Maybe it's not the best way of measuring prospects, but this is how I see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad