Prospect Info: 158th Overall Philippe Daoust C, Wildcats, QMJHL

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Any insight on this guy @BondraTime ?
Don't like the pick whatsoever, wouldn't have thought he'd even get a free agent offer based off the few Wildcat games I saw last year, though obviously I'm not a scout.

Possible he comes in and pulls a Batherson at 19, though their 18 year old seasons aren't really comparable.

I'm wrong many, many, many times, Daoust may be a gem. Sens scouts have forgotten more about hockey than I know

Last edited:

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Don't like the pick whatsoever, wouldn't have thought he'd even get a free agent offer based off the few Wildcat games I saw last year, though obviously I'm not a scout.

Possible he comes in and pulls a Batherson at 19, though their 18 year old seasons aren't really comparable.

Thanks, always enjoy your opinions on prospects.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Hopefully he ends up more of a Mike Hoffman than another Francis Perron.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
For anybody looking for info on this kid, training camp notes 2019 :

Simply do a CTRL+F search with "Daoust"

Day 1 Recap of the Moncton Wildcats Training Camp: It’s Early, but the Cats Came Back

"The 17-year-old possesses incredible skill and is a dynamic player in 1-1 situations.
He’s creative and relentless on the both sides of the puck, which is a rare combination to say the least.

Daoust is solid in the dot, and is very accountable defensively.
The young center didn’t back down or avoid the dirty areas of the ice, if anything he welcomed it. Daoust showed tremendous poise with the puck in high traffic areas and is also a very skilled playmaker.
Ok, I know it’s only Day 1, but this kid can flat out play.
The shifty skilled center has fantastic edges and very deceptive linear speed to the outside as well.
From what I’m told, he’s grown a lot over the past few years, but quite frankly I don’t give a rats ass how big he is, the kid can play."

I don't know, they must hope for another Batherson-like pick that breaks out after his draft year. He has skill but hasn't done much in the Q yet.

I'm wrong many, many, many times, Daoust may be a gem. Sens scouts have forgotten more about hockey than I know

They must have seen a late bloomer in him but he hasn't made a lot of noise in the Q. Haven't heard Stephane Leroux talk about him at all

Unfortunately, unless he booms next year, this pick could another Loheit/Burgess/Lodin one.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
After the first round, I have been disappointed in the Sens draft selections. There were some really good pick on the board that we simply passed on.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
After the first round, I have been disappointed in the Sens draft selections. There were some really good pick on the board that we simply passed on.

I will trust in the scouting team to have more knowledge and experience when it comes to drafting in the later rounds. It's a gamble regardless but these guys scout players year round, opposed to the majority of us who might do some research in the 2 weeks prior to draft day.

Don't have to agree with the picks, but can't really discredit them until they prove otherwise.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Just for some context this kid seems to have a very steep development curve:

Was playing in the NOJHL just two seasons ago and had previously gone undrafted in the OHL (which I guess makes you a free agent for the entire CHL?). Signed with Moncton last year and now has become one of their better players (to be fair they’ve lost quite a bit of their team from last year).

I have not watched him a lot (attended a few QMJHL games last year) but seems like the Sens’ scouts probably really liked this kids development path.

OperationHotMother

Dec 22, 2006
4 assists so far in tonight's game. Think of how ugly the Hoffman or Batherson picks would have looked like if we had gotten them on their first year of eligibility. I have nothing to base this on except "a good feeling about this guy," but I'm high on Daoust

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Really hope that we "hit" on one of our later picks from this draft. So far, they all look like amazing picks even though the HF armchair scouts felt that we had a "bad" draft after the 1st round.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I have not watched him a lot (attended a few QMJHL games last year) but seems like the Sens’ scouts probably really liked this kids development path.

I do recall Mann mentioning they felt he would have the opportunity to play a larger role this season.

R2010

May 23, 2011
upload_2020-11-3_11-53-28.png

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
he scored two tonight the day after his 19th birthday so it was his flu game :sarcasm:

I live in Moncton so even if I am not a Sens fan I really hope this kid makes it. Smart player was surprise he got drafted but he was clearly a good gamble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad