GDT: 151205 Bolts @ Sharks 7:30pm CSN-CA KFOX -- bring a toy for Marine's Toys for Tots

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Except that isn't the same thing as what this is. That's moving the goal posts on the argument of what he should have had in the game he played. If all you can say about his play in the game is that well he should have a .900 save percentage or more, you lose context of the game itself and what is a realistic expectation for him to stop.

That's arguing numbers...not arguing the game.

This type of game/goals being let in isn't just a once in a while occurence with stalock though. This is in the 20+ games range now that he has been this bad.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Except that isn't the same thing as what this is. That's moving the goal posts on the argument of what he should have had in the game he played. If all you can say about his play in the game is that well he should have a .900 save percentage or more, you lose context of the game itself and what is a realistic expectation for him to stop.

That's arguing numbers...not arguing the game.

Unfortunately, the game is measured in wins and losses, wins and losses are measured in goals, and goals are numbers.

I honestly have no idea what you're even trying to argue. Stalock is bad and there is absolutely no argument to the contrary.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This type of game/goals being let in isn't just a once in a while occurence with stalock though. This is in the 20+ games range now that he has been this bad.

Unfortunately, the game is measured in wins and losses, wins and losses are measured in goals, and goals are numbers.

I honestly have no idea what you're even trying to argue. Stalock is bad and there is absolutely no argument to the contrary.

That there was nothing bad about Stalock's performance last game. The defense was what was horrible. He made the stops you can reasonably expect him to make. If you want to keep your head deep in the stat sheets, you're missing out on why it is they lost. It's not because of the goaltending.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
That there was nothing bad about Stalock's performance last game. The defense was what was horrible. He made the stops you can reasonably expect him to make. If you want to keep your head deep in the stat sheets, you're missing out on why it is they lost. It's not because of the goaltending.

Look, I love Stalock, I'm more bummed than most that he's just sucked this year, but that's just how it is. The defense has been bad at times, that's true, but Stalock isn't doing them any favors either. Whatever the reason (He's just not that good, he's not getting enough playing time, the team isn't confident in him, etc) he isn't getting the job done, and that's all that matters.

I hope he turns it around, I think he's capable of being an excellent back-up goalie, but this season, so far, he's stunk up the joint :\

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Except to you it is always the defense. Stalock cannot have a bad game in your opinion. Every single game so far that he has played you have blamed either bad defense or lack of games or even both at the same time.

The goalie is part of the defense, and he is the most important part of that defense. If the defense in front of him makes a mostake he needs to make the saves more often then not. All the greats do it, all the top goalies do it, but stalock for the majority of the time is not. If there is any defensive mistake in front of him, the puck will be in the back of the net.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Look, I love Stalock, I'm more bummed than most that he's just sucked this year, but that's just how it is. The defense has been bad at times, that's true, but Stalock isn't doing them any favors either. Whatever the reason (He's just not that good, he's not getting enough playing time, the team isn't confident in him, etc) he isn't getting the job done, and that's all that matters.

I hope he turns it around, I think he's capable of being an excellent back-up goalie, but this season, so far, he's stunk up the joint :\

^^^^^ This.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Except to you it is always the defense. Stalock cannot have a bad game in your opinion. Every single game so far that he has played you have blamed either bad defense or lack of games or even both at the same time.

The goalie is part of the defense, and he is the most important part of that defense. If the defense in front of him makes a mostake he needs to make the saves more often then not. All the greats do it, all the top goalies do it, but stalock for the majority of the time is not. If there is any defensive mistake in front of him, the puck will be in the back of the net.

If he's letting in shots he should stop, it would be fine to blame the goaltending. He's been guilty of that at points over the past two seasons. Last game was not one of them and it's fairly obvious that those expecting him to make any of those goals into saves are not utilizing a fair method to assess goaltending play.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I agree 100% with HB.

Would have loved to see Stalock compete against Jones for the starting spot. Would be excellent if he made a case for the Sharks using a 1A/1B tandem. But so far he has been pretty awful.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
If he's letting in shots he should stop, it would be fine to blame the goaltending. He's been guilty of that at points over the past two seasons. Last game was not one of them and it's fairly obvious that those expecting him to make any of those goals into saves are not utilizing a fair method to assess goaltending play.
You are so focused on yesterday's game for some reason. Most of us agree that those goals were not Stalock's fault, or at least 3 of the 4 weren't. But over the past 20+ games, Stalock has not been good. You can't blame the defense for everything, at some point your backup has to step up and make some big saves. Which Stalock hasn't been doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad