GDT: 151122 Sharks @ Blue Jackets 2pm

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I agree. Goldobin clearly has skill enough to play in the NHL but really needs to round out aspects of his game. That being said, with the current makeup of the Barracuda I'm not sure it's a great place to prepare him for the NHL (not that there are other options)

Now if Zubrus can be a viable 4C (questionable) or Smith can work his way into the lineup in that role, I'd be much more favorable of sending both Tierney and Goldobin down together.

Essentially, it would be nice if Goldobin had some fairly talented linemates to play with when on the Baracuda, and Tierney looks like he needs some time to work things out.

Yea, it'd probably be best if they get sent down as a duo. That way they actually have competent scorers to work with.

MardocAgain

Apr 10, 2012
What's up with Goldobin? The season is young still and it seems like Goldobin is becoming a broken record.

He's good at deke out into the neutral zone, but he's got to learn to pass. Do that crap, crossing over the blue line with his teammates on the other side is suicide. He has no pass outlet and in this league he will get converged on and picked. If he does this, he needs to make sure it is mostly a one on one situation.

Goldobin needs to play on a team, and if he is incapable of making this adjustment, he's going to languish in the AHL.

Feel like you're being a bit hard on him considering he's only 9 games into his NHL career. He will learn. If this is the style that has worked for him in juniors/minors than it is easy to see how these habits form. As he tries and fails at the NHL level he will adapt.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Feel like you're being a bit hard on him considering he's only 9 games into his NHL career. He will learn. If this is the style that has worked for him in juniors/minors than it is easy to see how these habits form. As he tries and fails at the NHL level he will adapt.

Yep. You can tell he's struggling with the lack of space that he has in the NHL. He also Defers a lot to other players on his line.

I still think he will be an NHL player. He has had some pretty good shifts.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yep. You can tell he's struggling with the lack of space that he has in the NHL. He also Defers a lot to other players on his line.

I still think he will be an NHL player. He has had some pretty good shifts.

I think Goldobin will be fine too. He has shown bursts of his skill and similarly shown that he is still a rookie. He needs time.

Once Couture is back, I would like to see Goldobin-Hertl-Donskoi tried as a line (if we do choose to burn Goldobin's ELC year). Donskoi and Hertl are responsible defensively enough to make up for Goldobin's deficiencies. If Goldobin can click, it could be a hell of a 3rd line.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Glad the refs didn't call that play where Bourque shot himself into the boards after minimal contact by Dillon. Would have likely been a game changer of a call.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Glad the refs didn't call that play where Bourque shot himself into the boards after minimal contact by Dillon. Would have likely been a game changer of a call.

It was a boarding technically but the way he shot right back up when he found out there wasn't going to be a call after looking like he died on the ice was pretty funny.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
I think Goldobin will be fine too. He has shown bursts of his skill and similarly shown that he is still a rookie. He needs time.

Once Couture is back, I would like to see Goldobin-Hertl-Donskoi tried as a line (if we do choose to burn Goldobin's ELC year). Donskoi and Hertl are responsible defensively enough to make up for Goldobin's deficiencies. If Goldobin can click, it could be a hell of a 3rd line.

When was the last time this team iced an all euro line?

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I will say we were lucky that Johnson didn't score but any missed penalty talk goes clearly both ways. I feel that the majority of the goals except burns on the pp and maybe pavs tip were lucky and that's on both sides.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It was a boarding technically but the way he shot right back up when he found out there wasn't going to be a call after looking like he died on the ice was pretty funny.

He had his back to the play with the puck for a long time. Dillon had no choice but to give him a slight cross check to the back. The ref watched the whole thing and told him to get up, so that leads me to think the ref thought he flopped.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Probably. Sutter and Lombardi weren't that high on Euros.

Didn't Ekman and Korolyuk play together some in 03-04? Don't remember that team having a Euro center, though.

They did but McCauley was their center most of that year if my memory serves me well.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR

I honestly think this might be the right answer. There may have been the occasional moment where three Euros were at forward during a line change or something, but there hasn't been a single regular all-Euro line since the 'Ovs.

They did but McCauley was their center most of that year if my memory serves me well.

Yep. I really liked that line.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I honestly think this might be the right answer. There may have been the occasional moment where three Euros were at forward during a line change or something, but there hasn't been a single regular all-Euro line since the 'Ovs.

Yep. I really liked that line.

But Marleau-Damphousse-Sturm sounds European. That should count. lol

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't we burn a year of ELC of Goldobin anyway, since he is otherwise in the AHL?

Actually, I am wrong: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1983077&page=8.

Even with Torres, Brown, and Goodrow in the conversation, we are only at 14 NHL(NHLish for the latter two) forwards. It doesn't take many injuries, for us to be considering Haley vs. Goldobin vs. Carpenter. Hard to imagine him not getting a few more games with those alternatives.

He is still too young/inexperienced/raw for the NHL, but that doesn't mean he can't help with spot duty. I had hoped he'd get around 20 games in the NHL when filling in, as it will help him prepare for when he is a key part of the team (next year, and certainly the year following).

With Zubrus and Smith in the mix, he is probably player number 16, but even so, there will likely always be one injury, 1-2 of his AHL competitors (Goodrow, Haley, Carpenter) underperforming, one guy with bumps and bruises, and one situational player (Brown) who doesn't fit. At the end of the day, i think his skillset is unique enough that it will be hard to keep him out of the next 60 games, though the ability to save a year might be worth it.

Last edited:

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
But Marleau-Damphousse-Sturm sounds European. That should count. lol

I was trying to recall a few of the Euro from the early to mid 2000's, and I thought that Niko Dimitrakos might have potentially been on a few Euro-centric lines. Until I googled him, and found out he's actually from Massachusetts. :laugh:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
He had his back to the play with the puck for a long time. Dillon had no choice but to give him a slight cross check to the back. The ref watched the whole thing and told him to get up, so that leads me to think the ref thought he flopped.

From what I saw, he had his shoulder to dillon as dillon approched, then turned his back when dillon reached him, so it wasn't a "in the numbers" thing. plus dillon pushed him with his hand first.

edit: anyone catch Randy talking about the "Sharks' shart" or some such ...

Last edited:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

Probably, but that is a mental mistake by Goldobin that he's repeated three times from the games I've watched. Mental mistakes get the ire of coaches and is probably why he was benched in the 3rd.

I do expect 3rd and 4th round draft choices to go through more mental mistakes than 1st rounders. I think the 2014 draft was one of the weaker ones though and Goldobin was a late 1st round, iirc.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Probably, but that is a mental mistake by Goldobin that he's repeated three times from the games I've watched. Mental mistakes get the ire of coaches and is probably why he was benched in the 3rd.

I do expect 3rd and 4th round draft choices to go through more mental mistakes than 1st rounders. I think the 2014 draft was one of the weaker ones though and Goldobin was a late 1st round, iirc.

It can take a bit to break a habit like that. I also seen a defensive improvement from him. Tracking guys, being hard on his stick etc.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
And to think none of this would've happened if there wasn't a gaming tournament at SAP Center.

Life's funny sometimes.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I like what I've seen from Goldobin, and I think he has a real future as a good-great NHLer. He definitely makes mistakes - but it isn't surprising when you take into consideration his lack of NHL experience, and that last year he was predominantly in Europe.

He has shown some great improvement defensively IMO.

I'm happy for the Sharks to continue how they are playing the young guys - gives them experience, without adding the pressure of making a game-losing mistake in the last 10 minutes of the third period.

It also has the added benefit of allowing players to play with others from different lines - which I think is beneficial to have throughout the year and in the playoffs.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I like what I've seen from Goldobin, and I think he has a real future as a good-great NHLer. He definitely makes mistakes - but it isn't surprising when you take into consideration his lack of NHL experience, and that last year he was predominantly in Europe.

He has shown some great improvement defensively IMO.

I'm happy for the Sharks to continue how they are playing the young guys - gives them experience, without adding the pressure of making a game-losing mistake in the last 10 minutes of the third period.

It also has the added benefit of allowing players to play with others from different lines - which I think is beneficial to have throughout the year and in the playoffs.

They are going to need to get used to playing in meaningful situations sooner or later. I would rather them play in the final 10 minutes in the regular season to get used to challenges of keeping a lead or making a come back. Because come playoffs ever minute of every game becomes just as important as thouse final 10 minutes of a close regular season game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad