GDT: #15|T...for Time to Leaf|Toronto St. Maple Arenas vs. Penguins|11.14.14|19:37 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
penguinslogo_zps6eb6fe43.png~original
vs.
torontoarenas_zps072baf7e.png~original

arenagardens_zps1da1f521.jpg~original

[size=+3]Game #15[/size][size=+2]
Not Arena Gardens; Toronto, Ontario
November 14, 2014; 7:37 PM EST[/size]

[size=+4]Team Stats[/size]
Penguins || Torontos
10-3-1 21 Pts|Record|9-5-2 20 Pts
5-2|Home|5-4
5-1-1|Away|4-1-2
Lost 1|Streak|Won 3
7-2-1|Last 10|7-2-1
9|ROW|9
3.86 – 1st |Goals Per Game|3.31 – 3rd
2.29 – 8th|Goals Against Per Game|2.62 - 15th
+23 - 1st |Goal Differential|+10 - t5th
35.6% – 1st |Power Play|24.1% – t4th
87.5% – t4th|Penalty Kill|84.5% – 11th
31.6 – t5th|Shots Per Game|31 – 10th
29 – 13th|Shots Against Per Game|32.9 - 25th
50.9% – 12th|Faceoff %|51.2% – 11th
1.58 – 2nd|5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio|1.13– t11th
371 – 15th|Hits|503 – 2nd
15.1 – 30th|PIM/G|9 – 6th
59 – t9th|PP Opportunities|58 – t12th
21 - 1st |PP Goals|14 - t3td
3 - t27th|SHG Allowed|1 - t8th
56 - t16th|Times Short-Handed|58- t22nd
7 - 4th|PPG Allowed|9 - t9th
1 - t11th|Short-Handed Goals|3 - t2nd
+1:55 - 18th|PP-PK Time Diff.|+6:26 - 12th
7-2-1|Record When Scoring First| 6-0 3-1 |Record When Trailing First|3-5-2
7-1|Record When Outshooting Opposition|3-0-1
3-2-1|Record When Outshot|6-4-1
7-1-1|Record When Leading After 1|3-1
10-1-1|Record When Leading After 2| 6-0
1-2|Record When Trailing After 1|2-4
0-1|Record When Trailing After 2|1-4
1-1|Overtime Record|1-2
1-0|Shootout Record|0-1
2/2|Shootout Goals/Shots|1/2
1/3|Shootout Goals Allowed/Shots|3/3

[size=+4][shadow=black]Projected Goalies[/shadow][/size]
thomasgreiss_zps2972681b.png~original
bernier_zpsac246407.png~original

#1 Thomas Greiss|#45 Jonathan Bernier
1-0-1, 2.42 GAA, .923 sv%, 0 SO|5-3-2, 2.58 GAA, .917 sv%, 1 SO

[size=+4][shadow=black]Projected Penguins Lines[/shadow][/size]
Left Wing | Center | Right Wing
kunitz_zpse55e5870.png~original
|
crosby_zps24e96392.png~original
|
dupuis_zpsc8abbd18.png~original

14 Rocket Kunitz|87 Sidney Patrick Godsby, ONS|9 Doop
spaling_zpsda51011c.png~original
|
malkin_zpsaa8a1802.png~original
|
horny_zpsd227b8ee.png~original

13 Nick Spaling|71 Евге́ний 'Иисус' Ма́лкин|72 Patric Gösta Hörnqvist
sunshinebennett_zps127d0e3c.png~original
|
sutters_zps2f4694b2.png~original
|
downie_zps4a7d325d.png~original

19 Beau Daniel Bennett|16 One of the Sutters|23 Downie Soff
comeau_zps2df44574.png~original
|
goc_zpsf7381e35.png~original
|
craigtuckeradams_zps7761291b.png~original

17 Perry Comeau|57 Marcel Goc|27 Craaaaaaaaaig
Left Defense | Right Defense
myfavoritemartin_zps130deefb.png~original
|
oranguletang_zps36670d47.png~original

7 My Favorite Paul Martin|58 Kristopher Allen Oranguletang
ehrhoff_zpsd56a5955.png~original
|
elborto_zps623013f7.png~original

10 Christian Ehrhoff|41 El Borto
scuderi_zpsf1400c0b.png~original
|
gilbertgrapesquirreldespres_zps757f4e34.png~original

4 Robert John Scuderi|47 Bonnie Grape Squirrel

[size=+4][shadow=black]Projected Torontos Lines[/shadow][/size]
Left Wing | Center | Right Wing
21 James Van Notlukeschenn|42 Professor Bobo|81 Philip Joseph "Phil" Kessel, Jr.
26 Daniel Spencer Winnik|43 Nazem Kadri|71 David "Dave" Clarkson
47 Леонид Александрович Комаров|24 Peter Netherlands|25 Michael "Mike" Santorelli
18 Widespread Richard Pánik|23 Trevor 'I Completely Forgot He Used To Be A Penguin' Smith|32 Joshua "Josh" Leivo
Left Defense | Right Defense
3 Captain Leaderman|4 Cody is a Dog Name Franson
51 Jake William 'Constant' Gardiner|46 Roman 'How Many' Polák(s)
44 Morgan 'The Organ' Rielly|12 Joseph Pierre Stéphane Robidas

[size=+4][shadow=black]Team Leaders[/shadow][/size]
Penguins || Torontos
Patric Hörnqvist 9|GOALS|Phil Kessel 10
Sidney Crosby 17 |ASSISTS|Phil Kessel 11
Sidney Crosby 24 |POINTS|Phil Kessel 21
Chris Kunitz +7|+/-|Dion Phaneuf +9
Steve Downie 56 |PIM|Dion Phaneuf 31
Malkin, Kunitz 5 |PP Goals| Tyler Bozak 5 Sidney Crosby 9 |PP Assists|Kessel, Phaneufl, van Riemsdyk 4
Sidney Crosby 12 |PP Points|Tyler Bozak 8
Brandon Sutter 1|SH Goals|Holland, Santorelli, van Riemsdyk 1
Sutter, Dupuis 1|SH Points|Holland, Komarov 2
None|OT Goals|Phil Kessel 1
Chris Kunitz 3|GWG|Phil Kessel 2
Patric Hörnqvist 59|SOG|Phil Kessel 54
Chris Kunitz 25%|Sh%|Richard Pánik 23.1%
Kris Letang 24:20|TOI|Dion Phaneuf 23:14
Marcel Goc 55.7%|FO|Leo Komarov 55.8%
Chris Kunitz 45|Hits|Leo Komarov 69
Kris Letang 25|Blocked Shots|Roman Polák 40
Sidney Crosby 10|Giveaways|Phil Kessel 15
Malkin, Sutter 11|Takeaways| Leo Komarov 21
Bold indicates league leader

[size=+4][shadow=black]Injuries[/shadow][/size]
Penguins Injuries:
Player | Position | Status | Description
Olli Määttä|D|DTD|****ing Cancer

Torontos Injuries:
Player | Position | Status | Description
David Booth|LW|IR|Broken David Booth
Brandon Kozun|RW|IR|High ankle sprain
Joffrey Lupul|LW|IR|Hand

[size=+4][shadow=black]TV Information[/shadow][/size]​
TV Station|Available For
Root|Pittsburgh Region
TSN4|Toronto Region
TVA Sports|French Canada

[size=+4][shadow=black]Did You Know?[/shadow][/size]
  • The Toronto Arenas began as what equated to a **** you to Eddie Livingstone, owner of the NHA Toronto Blueshirts. The NHA disbarred and all other team owners created the NHL, retaining Toronto's contracts. The NHL was meant to be a temporary entity, but it never reverted back to the NHA and continued to grow. The inagural 1917-18 NHL Season consisted of just 20 games played between 4 teams - the Montreal Canadiens, Ottawa Senators, Torontos, and Montreal Wanderers. The Wanderers played only 6 NHL games before their building burned down, meaning the remaining three teams played each other for the rest of the schedule.
  • The 'Torontos' only existed because the NHA founding member Quebec Bulldogs, failed to field a team for the 1917-18 season due to their manager retiring due to illness. A 'temporary' franchise was granted to the Toronto Arena Company.
  • The Canadiens and Wanderers shared Montreal Arena, the arena that burned down, but the Canadiens were able to re-locate to the Jubilee Rink...which would burn down the following year. The Canadiens moved to the newly built Mount Royal Arena in 1920, which would house the team until the Montreal Forum would open in 1926. The former Mount Royal Arena was converted to an auditorium after the Canadiens left and eventually burned down in 2000.
  • It wasn't until 1948 that the inagural Toronto Arenas got their post hoc name, when the NHL etched 'Toronto Arenas' into the Stanley Cup as the 1917-18 winner. The team was known simply as 'Torontos' or 'Blue Shirts' by the media that season.
  • The NHL granted a full franchise the following year as the lawsuits piled on from Livingstone, the 'new' franchise was officially titled the Toronto Arena Hockey Club, or the Toronto Arenas. The 'real' Arenas won a putrid 5 of 18 games and had severe attendance issues in 1918-19. The team withdrew from the league on February 20, 1919 after going bankrupt, leaving just the Montreal Canadiens and Ottawa Senators. The Canadiens would win the NHL Championship, but no one would win the Stanley Cup thanks to the Spanish Flu epidemic. The Canadiens and Seattle Metropolitans finished their series 2-2-1 apiece before the cancellation due to several players on both sides falling ill. Canadiens defenseman Joe Hall died as a result of the Spanish Flu.
  • As a result of the Arenas withdrawing from the league their slot in the NHL was awarded to the ownership of the Toronto St. Patricks amateur club, the official beginning of the Maple Leafs lineage. The extreme majority of former Arenas players wound up being transferred back to the Quebec Bulldogs, who finally played their first season in the NHL after two seasons in limbo as the Quebec Athletic Club.
  • The Quebec Bulldogs/Athletics would only last one season before moving to Hamilton to become the Tigers. The Hamilton Tigers would play until 1925, when the team had the best record during the regular season, but the players went on strike for better play during the playoffs...the Tigers would never play another game and were effectively replaced by the expansion New York Americans.
  • The NHL would not go on to have sole possession of the Stanley Cup until 1926, but the Torontos did win the Stanley Cup in the NHL's inaugural season, defeating the PCHL champion Vancouver Millionaires 3 games to 2.
  • The Maple Leafs didn't become the Maple Leafs until Conn Smythe bought the team in 1927. The St. Pats were bleeding money and were facing further lawsuits from Livingstone. The highest bidder for the franchise was actually an ownership group from Philadelphia, but Smythe was able to convince St. Pats owner Charlie Querrie to sell at 80% cost to him because civic pride was worth more than money. Smythe changed the team's name to the Maple Leafs in the middle of the 1926-27 season. As a result of the transition the Maple Leafs' first half-season came with a green and white color scheme. The colors were changed to the iconic blue and white the following season.
  • The NHL came into sole possession of the Stanley Cup in 1926 thanks to the Pacific Coast Hockey League folding, but despite this only 1 of 8 winners during the NHL vs. PCHL era was won by a PCHL team, with the 1925 Victoria Cougars defeating the Montreal Canadiens 3 games to 1. The Stanley Cup had been played between the PCHL and NHA champions before the NHL came into existence, with the Seattle Metropolitans (1917) and Vancouver Millionaires (1915) winning the Cup between a Canadiens victory (1916). Prior to 1914 the Stanley Cup...well that's a full Did You Know for another day.
  • If anyone is wondering why the Maple Leafs use Canada's national symbol as a logo while using completely different colors, the answer is simple - the Canadian flag as we know it wasn't adopted until 1965.
  • The name of the man who designed the modern Canadian flag? George Stanley.
  • Museum of Love is a band founded by LCD Soundsystem drummer Pat Mahoney and Dennis McNany. Their first album was released on October 14th on James Murphy's DFA label.
  • DFA was originally called Death From Above, but was changed as it was based in New York and was deemed inappropriate after 9/11. The label is the reason Canadian band Death From Above 1979 has that 1979 at the end of their name, the label was fine with the band's name until they signed with a major label (Atlantic).
  • Death From Above 1979 is a Toronto-based duo consisting of Sebastian Grainger and Jesse F. Keeler that was formed in 2001. After releasing just one album the band broke up, but re-formed in 2011. Their second album, The Physical World, was released on September 9, 2014.
  • Cymbals Eat Guitars took their name from a Lou Reed quote about Velvet Underground's sound. If I wasn't such a huge VU fan I'd say they have one of the worst band names out there...but...c'mon, Lou Reed.

[size=+3]Tututututututututu[/size]

[size=+7]It's A Great Day For Hockey[/size]
SimpsonsHockeyTime_zpsbb1f065d.jpg~original

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Not even mad at KCD.
Sorry for those going wanting to see Fleury play cuz i'm thinkin' Greiss gets this one but i'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I have a funny feeling that the new coach/systems slump may hit us now after a great start. With Bennett just getting back and Maata still out. Things will be changing for this little stretch here.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
The very thought of KCD annoys the crap out of me but what are you gonna do. We don't have a lot of winger options until we make a trade or two.

Atren

Jun 29, 2011
Europe
Nice GDT, but in stats sections Crosby has more PP assists than points :)

Personally I do not find KCD as end of the world, but would have preferred for Kunitz to be the one sent to Malkin.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Great stuff, Big :yo:

One more small thing about the lines - I'm glad Johnston doesn't look at our record and pull the Dan Bylsma "We're winning... so everything must be okay!" That really means a lot to me to see a coach recognize a good record, but also recognize we are FAR from a finished product.

While the lines still are not ideal, I'm interested in seeing some changes and want to see how it plays out over 10 games.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah, Johnston being so honest about lacking aspects, even in games where they had won with a multiple goal lead, has been great so far. I won't mind him mixing the lines up even more in the future, as long as it doesn't get to extreme.

Oh, and great GDT! And what the frick, Trevor Smith was a Penguin? Who wasn't at this point, it seems like.

Tumty

Aug 18, 2012
Finland
don't want to be the guy to blame Sid at all for this organization's inability to surround him with talent, but he has not done himself any favors whenever a potential replacement has been brought in. Dude just refuses to adjust his game.

I think part of the problem is the dynamic between him and Kunitz. That comfort zone needs broken up, IMO.

Well i see it other way, why in the hell would you change your playing style if you are the best player in the world?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think you'll see Geno go on a scoring spree here with Horny cuz Geno isn't afraid to drive to/fire it on goal compared to Sid who likes stopping up and finding trailers.

Wondering how Spaling will fair. If he can consistently make good plays off the boards and find Geno streaking up the middle, it might be good.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Great stuff, Big :yo:

One more small thing about the lines - I'm glad Johnston doesn't look at our record and pull the Dan Bylsma "We're winning... so everything must be okay!" That really means a lot to me to see a coach recognize a good record, but also recognize we are FAR from a finished product.

While the lines still are not ideal, I'm interested in seeing some changes and want to see how it plays out over 10 games.
Amen to that. I'm excited to see what Malkin can do with Hornqvist on his wing. Playing a guy like that can open up a lot of space for Geno.. and Geno certainly thrives when he has open ice to setup plays.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
KCD had better not last more than a few games. Crosby-Hornqvist was setting the league on fire, dammit. That wasn't the part of the line that needed to be changed.

It was so nice when it looked like Dupuis was finally, rightfully, sliding his way down the roster...

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
People complaining about KCD but I just don't get it. I personally love what MJ is doing here. Dupuis has looked absolutely lost on Malkin's line lately so it's an optimal time to switch it up. Sure, Hornqvist has looked good with Crosby so far and there's chemistry there, but it's a long season. I like that MJ has tried a lot of things already in just 14 games.

Besides, when we make a trade for some top-6 support, we'll have to switch lines around again. We can always bring 72 back to Sid's line. To me it's great that the new guys are getting to play with different people on the team (even if it means we are reuniting an old line in KCD).

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I love all of our GDT creators but Bigs are my favorite bc of his 'Did you know?'s. Also love the nicknames.

KCD sucks but at least we get to see Phil Kessel exist! No solid word on who's in goal yet? And huzzah to the 7:37 start as I'll be at job 2 til 9:15ish...depending on customers. Does this start reflect a jersey retirement they're doing in Toronto or no? Bc if not that'll help my cause even more.

Let's Go Pens!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As much as people are ballyhooing personnel change, I wonder what they'd have said over the summer if someone told them that a month into the season that KCD was together, and both Adams and Scuderi were on the team in prominent special teams roles.

Shuffling Dupes between scoring lines isn't exactly the sort of change that most here originally envisioned.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Excellent GDT as per usual, Big. David Booth's injury got me. :laugh:

Regarding KCD, I don't like it either, but I'll take it over Dupuis-Malkin. It's the lesser of two evils for the time being.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
As much as people are ballyhooing personnel change, I wonder what they'd have said over the summer if someone told them that a month into the season that KCD was together, and both Adams and Scuderi were on the team in prominent special teams roles.

Shuffling Dupes between scoring lines isn't exactly the sort of change that most here originally envisioned.

I think people need to stop pretending that with KCD being reunited for one game in November, absolutely everything is back to where it was again.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Im looking forward to Crosby being anchored by not 1 but 2 players now. He was already playing with one of the laziest wingers on the team, now he has the guy with no hands added to his line. Heck, next game against the rangers we might as well try Craig Adams on his line.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
People are so melodramatic. It's November and Bennett has played one game since coming back from injury. I'm not reading much into KCD other than we are missing a top 6 winger and Johnston doesn't want to rush Beau back. Hornqvist will be like a RH Malone on Malkin's line, which makes me feel better about KCD being back.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think people need to stop pretending that with KCD being reunited for one game in November, absolutely everything is back to where it was again.

I think people need to stop pretending that what's happening now in terms of personnel is anything other than what had been pointed out earlier as blatantly obvious mistakes that any idiot would know not to make.

Just because Dupuis with Malkin ended up being as terrible as expected doesn't mean reuniting KCD is a good idea. There are other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad