Value of: 15 OA + 24 OA

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
There's been some discussion on the Nashville boards of packaging our 2 1st round picks to move up. We have a good volume of picks over the next few drafts and I can see an argument to make a splash to move up for a singular player. We also have a strong volume of mid-6 prospects already in our system, so moving up to target more of a game breaking forward makes sense.

How high could we get with this package?

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
In terms of value probably 7/8/9 OA range. Detroit at 9 is unlikely as they need quality over quantity right now.

7OA is the Flyers who may be happier to move if they see two players they like in the 1st.

The 8OA is an interesting one as Washington will likely want to bring in players for Ovi now so there could be a deal for a player +15OA for that. Not sure what or who for that deal.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
It's not just value. You also have to find a GM who isn't interested in picking at 7-10 to begin with.

It seems like in this draft that's a good spot to be in, so I'm not sure how many GMs will want to move down from there.
I'm in this boat. I like the idea, but don't think it's very likely.

There are worse things than sitting and picking so ho-hum we will carry on.

Reactions: Canadienna

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
There's been some discussion on the Nashville boards of packaging our 2 1st round picks to move up. We have a good volume of picks over the next few drafts and I can see an argument to make a splash to move up for a singular player. We also have a strong volume of mid-6 prospects already in our system, so moving up to target more of a game breaking forward makes sense.

How high could we get with this package?
Honestly your prob better off just picking at both spots.

Reactions: cool beans

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'd trade that for 11 depending who is still left on the board.
I imagine to move up to the 11th would just be 15th + 2nd rounder. No way they do 15+24 to get to 11 lol

Either way nashville should just pick at both spots.... unless michkov starts to drop or something

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Habs: 5th overall + Justin Barron
Nashville: Askarov + 15th

Nashville gets to draft one of Smith, Michkov or Carlsson + receive a relatively decent young RHD
Habs get their goalie of the future + a mid first in a solid draft

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Boston had 13,14,15 in 2015 and couldn't move up to get one of Hanafin (5), Werenksi (8) or Provorov (7).

Its very very very hard to move up.

Similar note, the Sabres in 2014 had 3 2nd round picks --- 31, 44, and 49, so all pretty high 2nds at that --- and couldn't get back into the 1st round packaging all 3 of them together. I think they started calling teams around the 20th pick or so and onward and got no traction. Moving up in the NHL draft is difficult and expensive, especially closer to the top.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think its safe to say that no one will be able to move up to lower than 15 in this draft. Too many good players in this draft. Top 5 are untouchable.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

Nashville gets to draft one of Smith, Michkov or Carlsson + receive a relatively decent young RHD
What a horrible trade for the Habs lol

We'll just draft a goalie jusy as good as Askarov in Hrabal with our Florida pick. Keep Michkov and Barron in the process.

Or worse.comes to worse sign Askarov to an OS when Preds have Saros.

Reactions: Doublechin

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014

Not a chance in hell Montréal does that. Like. Zero.

Reactions: Doublechin

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
It's not just value. You also have to find a GM who isn't interested in picking at 7-10 to begin with.

It seems like in this draft that's a good spot to be in, so I'm not sure how many GMs will want to move down from there.
More specifically, you need a team picking ~7-10, whose favourite player in that range is still likely to be available at 15. It’s a bit of a long shot, but does happen from time to time.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
I imagine to move up to the 11th would just be 15th + 2nd rounder. No way they do 15+24 to get to 11 lol

Either way nashville should just pick at both spots.... unless michkov starts to drop or something
Lol if michkov drops and we trade that pick I'ma break my tv 😂, although I wouldn't mind going back a couple of spots and picking up an extra top 50 pick, although if the right player is available the preds might make a desperate play but it's unlikely.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad