Golf: 146th Open Championship: July 20-23. Royal Birkdale.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rahm can't seem to follow the rules.

I like his game, but he's quickly staking himself in the Woods and Mickelson category.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
It'd be pretty cool if Koepka won again, I'm a big fan of his.

But watching Spieth this morning, he had his putter going like he hadn't in a major for awhile, so he's the man to beat in my mind.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can we put to end the "Dustin Johnson is going to be Tiger-esque" argument? It is so unbelievably dumb, and is derived from the fact that he can "overpower" a golf course, completely forgetting that hitting the ball far does not make you TW. And the odds were always against it, he's 33. That stuff literally almost never happens that someone improves so much that late on. The Tiger-esque or even Phil-esque guys are that good right out of the gate, they don't miraculously become that good in their 30's or late 20's.

The guy had a great 10 month stretch, but many many do. Scott, Stenson, Day, Westwood, Donald, a lot of these guys who hang around the top 5-10 for a lot of years have one 12 month stretch where everything in their game is on, and they are as good as anyone, but there is a reason these guys for the most part have never sustained anything close to Tiger-esque, not even like Phil-esque. DJ is 33, has three seasons in his career with two or more wins.

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Kent Bulle is a name and a half. And even better in Swedish. (bulle means bun)

Jan 3, 2012
Can we put to end the "Dustin Johnson is going to be Tiger-esque" argument? It is so unbelievably dumb, and is derived from the fact that he can "overpower" a golf course, completely forgetting that hitting the ball far does not make you TW. And the odds were always against it, he's 33. That stuff literally almost never happens that someone improves so much that late on. The Tiger-esque or even Phil-esque guys are that good right out of the gate, they don't miraculously become that good in their 30's or late 20's.

The guy had a great 10 month stretch, but many many do. Scott, Stenson, Day, Westwood, Donald, a lot of these guys who hang around the top 5-10 for a lot of years have one 12 month stretch where everything in their game is on, and they are as good as anyone, but there is a reason these guys for the most part have never sustained anything close to Tiger-esque, not even like Phil-esque. DJ is 33, has three seasons in his career with two or more wins.

:shakehead

Jan 3, 2012
You can elaborate

First off, I don't recall anyone here making any substantial claims that DJ was going to have a Tigeresque career. I'm sure one or two of us may have pointed out how his few months of dominance were similar to Tiger when he was on form, but I don't recall anyone repeatedly and seriously arguing that DJ would have a Tiger like career.

Second, and the weirdest thing about your post, is that you pick the most peculiar time to draw attention to something you want people to stop talking about....? Unless your post was responding to an article somewhere, or some comment I missed, I think it is the weirdest timing to bring this up when DJ isn't even playing well and hasn't been really in the news for a few months. If you want people to stop comparing DJ to Tiger (comparisons of which I must have missed) why would you bring it up? And why now of all times?

I agree with your post, but it seems so ill timed and unnecessary at the moment.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
First off, I don't recall anyone here making any substantial claims that DJ was going to have a Tigeresque career. I'm sure one or two of us may have pointed out how his few months of dominance were similar to Tiger when he was on form, but I don't recall anyone repeatedly and seriously arguing that DJ would have a Tiger like career.

Second, and the weirdest thing about your post, is that you pick the most peculiar time to draw attention to something you want people to stop talking about....? Unless your post was responding to an article somewhere, or some comment I missed, I think it is the weirdest timing to bring this up when DJ isn't even playing well and hasn't been really in the news for a few months. If you want people to stop comparing DJ to Tiger (comparisons of which I must have missed) why would you bring it up? And why now of all times?

I agree with your post, but it seems so ill timed and unnecessary at the moment.

Not here, mostly the golf media. I could find you what I'm talking about, if you want the exact examples.

As for the timing, DJ's play has been pretty mediocre of late. I get what you are saying that I would be trying to push back at it, but thats not really what I was intending to do. I'm pointing out that it looks pretty silly right now. No one's claiming he's doing so well recently, but even like 4 or 5 months ago, they were claiming he was Tiger-esque.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Justin Thomas just basically swung and missed from the fescue twice, then lost it in the fescue on his third attempt. How to miss a cut

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Think Pavel is getting what he wanted in a major with not everyone being under par..

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Think Pavel is getting what he wanted in a major with not everyone being under par..

I'm gonna sound like kind of a hypocrite here, but not this major. :laugh:

I think Jordan is playing better than anyone in the field, so I don't want his ability to score to be negated by this weather. He's also on the wrong side of the draw, so its not gonna be fair, but whatever, thats golf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad