GDT: #14 |New Jersey Devils vs New York Islanders | Feb 16 | 7 PM 5-1 W

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Watching the Colorado/Edmonton game and the Oilers have 54 SOG and still 3 minutes left tied at 4-4

now 5-4 Edmonton and Varlamov with 50 saves out if 55

Final 6-4 Varlamov with a .909 SV% allowing 5 goals

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
This was the best game the team has played to date. That they opened up on Hedberg... very happy about this. Hedberg is nothing special, just big and plays a conservative game in net. Thoughts...
- Special teams again at the forefront but at least 5 on 5 wasn't the black hole we expected. 50% tonight, and third in the league at 27%.
- Tavares, what more need be said.
- Matt Martin continuing to be a momentum shifting pest. This is his game, and someone please give him an A.
- Nabokov deserves a star. If he isn't the wall in the first period it would have ended very differently.
- Finley... best game yet. I didn't curse him out once.
- McDonald is really growing on me too. 7 hits to Martins 2.
- Grabner, coming close but really liked the effort.
- Cizikas, 15 out of 19 faceoffs bud!!!
- Tavares, 10 of 17 faceoffs.

Despite glaring mistakes, particularly in the first, I'm keeping it positive tonight.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I'm watching the EDM-COL game as well. One of the better games I have seen in a long time. (Watching the game on that ice is always more aesthetically pleasing for some reason (Calgary too)).

Anyway that RNH-Hall-Nail line is really something to watch. Sort of makes me think Strome on Tavares wing is a really good idea despite the fact that Strome is a natural Centerman.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

He has been on the ice for 11 of the 14 goals scored by the Islanders in the 4 games he has been here.

No other comments needed.:amazed:

Someone was debating with me that Vis is a better PP guy then Streit which i can't disagree. I do however think he is better in every part of the game as well. I think of that song "anything you do i can do better" when comparing Vis to Streit.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I'm watching the EDM-COL game as well. One of the better games I have seen in a long time. (Watching the game on that ice is always more aesthetically pleasing for some reason (Calgary too)).

Anyway that RNH-Hall-Nail line is really something to watch. Sort of makes me think Strome on Tavares wing is a really good idea despite the fact that Strome is a natural Centerman.

Funny cause i noticed allot of pucks bouncing the last few games at the NVMC but it has been cold so i'm not really getting it lol.
RNH-Hall-Nail is disgusting, There should be a rule for this kind of talent on 1 line = ) .. In a few years teams might have to ask the NHL to allow 6 players on the ice against them.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
i always felt jt's 2 major flaws were his skating, and his p shooter of a shot

its amazing how much hes improved in those areas, the third goal he scored was a pure snipe. ill even go as far to say he has a very good chance to win mvp or art ross this year, im that impressed

good win tonight, def a morale booster

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I felt like Bailey played very well tonight and didn't get a lot of credit from the coaches/announcers. He made some real good offensive plays when he touched the puck and also brought a solid physical game as well. I want to see him get more ice time.

The team looked good and got in those dirty areas, drew good penalties, and kept the puck deep. Wins don't come easy and it's nice to see that they may have figured that out.

Lastly, I think one of the few negative spots tonight was Okposo. He's big, slow, and usually atrocious along the wall since he only plays with one hand on his stick. I'm really getting annoyed with the amount of turnovers he commits each game and how many horribly selfishly bad plays he makes. Anyone else feel the same way?

I hope this is the end of Reasoner, I don't think he should be in the lineup again.

SaintTavares

Jul 8, 2009
Brooklyn
Lastly, I think one of the few negative spots tonight was Okposo. He's big, slow, and usually atrocious along the wall since he only plays with one hand on his stick. I'm really getting annoyed with the amount of turnovers he commits each game and how many horribly selfishly bad plays he makes. Anyone else feel the same way?

I've always been a big fan/supporter of KO, but watching him closely these past few games, i'm really starting to lose faith. He can't finish, and every time he gets the pass he either can't handle it or turns it over, either holding it in the corner or throws a weak pass. He's definitely not a building block anymore, and he better learn how to check and play nasty in the corners, otherwise I think it's time they moved on from him.

Pnut

Staple reported Snow is shopping him, if no takers then waivers.

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infom...a=newsday_5min&feed:c=sports&feed:i=1.4661881
They are also looking to extend Streit?!?!:eek:!

I am happy with the last two games.....they lost 2 games in that 5 game losing streak that they could have won. Then Lube came in. His movement on the power-play alone opens other guys up and he is actually defensively responsible. I noticed that he grabbed a few pucks off the boards and is an even better passer than I remembered when I saw him play for the Ducks.

I'll say this again, this is a team that can go far, right now........it took long enough.

:eek:,
Pnut

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I've always been a big fan/supporter of KO, but watching him closely these past few games, i'm really starting to lose faith. He can't finish, and every time he gets the pass he either can't handle it or turns it over, either holding it in the corner or throws a weak pass. He's definitely not a building block anymore, and he better learn how to check and play nasty in the corners, otherwise I think it's time they moved on from him.

This goes for me too. I've always been a supporter of his, but he has never looked THIS bad before. He looks like he just started playing hockey for the first time in his life a few months ago.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Almost seems like KO needs to be re programmed. Since he hasn't been the beast in the corners he was earlier on and is getting nothing done, he should drive directly to the net more. Could be wrong but that what it looks like. Take the puck more to the middle and not go to the outside so often.

Last edited:

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
I felt like Bailey played very well tonight and didn't get a lot of credit from the coaches/announcers. He made some real good offensive plays when he touched the puck and also brought a solid physical game as well.

Actually after one strong shift the camera focused on him as butch gave a nice compliment. Who ever coach standing behind him gave him a couple of pats on his shoulders. Bailey has played well.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
Actually after one strong shift the camera focused on him as butch gave a nice compliment. Who ever coach standing behind him gave him a couple of pats on his shoulders. Bailey has played well.

He's not been on the scoresheet (too much) so he's going un-noticed, which is a shame.

He's doing a million little things very well.

JT's third goal.
Wow.
Special goal by a special player.

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
I wake up this morning and turn on HGTV. The FIRST thing I hear is "SOMEBODY LEFT THE GATE OOOOOPEN!" That's a good sign, it means.......

Islanders - 9
Diablos - 1

This, right here is why we won. It's science.

I love the way JT is pulling the trigger more this year. It seems like he's looking to take a shot instead of trying to make the pass. The best part is, his linemates are still involved making plays.

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
He's not been on the scoresheet (too much) so he's going un-noticed, which is a shame.

He's doing a million little things very well.

JT's third goal.
Wow.
Special goal by a special player.

Agreed. It seems as if he's changed his game a little....and it's working for him. He's even doing some effective hitting. Maybe this is the player he should be.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004

Bailey had some solid physical play and created some offensive chances. He is smart about defensive positioning and gets back when he has to without having to scramble.
But Bails needs to get some production from a player that has the offensive skills that he has. He has to play more dynamic more often, and with secondary and third efforts, as he tends to stop his feet and watch the play after he moes the puck.
Bails has 90% of what it takes to be an offensive force, he just has to close the loop and he could easily be a 60 point scorer.

IslesBeBack*

I was there. I don't think I've been to a game in the last ten years and watched a new york islander play such a dominant hockey game.

It's clear Tavares has entered elite category. He stays consistent, and I don't think there's a better forward in the game. Even with those two on Pittsburgh.

What a ****ing hockey player. My god. He has activated "God" level and I imagine it'll be here to stay. Tavares plays like this from here on out and the Isles make the playoffs.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Boy, what a manic group we have here. Just 5 periods ago, the season appeared over. Now it's all sunshine.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Anyone notice that the line of Grabner-Aucoin-Ullstrom is indeed the 4th line and not the 3rd? If you look at the stats sheet, they're the one with the less playing time on ES for a 2nd straight game.
Is that not a bit odd? After a good start, Grabner and Ullstrom are both rewarded of 4th line minutes!

Can someone explain why they are on the 4th line? And why Okposo is still on the top 6? If I was Grabner or Ullstrom, I'll be pretty mad about that situation. I know the Isles had won their last 2 games and that's the most important, but still!...

It's pretty obvious to me that Okposo is not the answer on a top 6 role. He's got only 3 ES point and he's -8!
Just some stats (all on even strength):

First 8 games: The Isles are 4-3-1
Line 1:
Tavares : 2-4-6 -2
Moulson :3-3-6 -1
Okposo : 1-1-2 -2

Line 2:
Grabner : 2-1-3 +0
Nielsen : 0-2-2 +0
Boyes : 1-1-2 -3

Last 6 games: The Isles are 2-4-0

Line 1:
Tavares : 4-0-4 -1
Moulson :0-3-3 -2
Boyes : 2-2-4 -2

Line 2:
Nielsen: 0-1-1 -5
Okposo: 0-1-1 -6
Grabner: (4 gp): 1-0-1 -4
Bailey: (2 gp): 0-0-0 -1

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Looking at the ice times for last night, I think it's slowly getting more balanced. Only big WTF is probably Ullstrom getting 7:40. He and Aucoin were the only players under 10 minutes.

Positives are:

-Streit didn't play 45,000 minutes
-Okposo had 12:29 - his linemates Bailey and Nielsen had 2:07 and 4:34 more than him
-The "4th" line all got some good ice time, Zeeker was a second away from 15 minutes
-The stat I love the most: John Tavares 19:43. See how much easier it is for him to dominate when he's not gassed by playing 23 min?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad